Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

My Gasoline babbling!

Faron79
9 years ago

I should'a started a new thread with my response in the "Gas-prices" thread!

If you have a newer car/suv, PLEASE watch the video in the attached link. VERY good info. in the articles too. If you personally don't care much, at least mention this to your S/O. I've really become a "Geek" about this the last couple years...ESPECIALLY with our new Turbo AWD Regal!!

Those of you with BMW's & M-B's REALLY should study this!!

Just blindly looking for the "cheapest gas" ISN'T doing your engines any favors...

Engines are evolving.
"Standard" gasolines, including "normal" Premiums aren't.
Octane-ratings AREN'T the issue here.

Faron
THIS baby HASN'T & WILL NOT get much "standard gas, including std.-premiums" ANYMORE!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Gasolines...

Comments (9)

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I'm a car dummy, but know to watch the octane ratings as states run differently. And cold winter states change gas used from summer to winter. Plus my son was a tech for 20 years and it wasn't unusual for him to dump an additive into my MINI once in a while. If you read your car manual it does tell you which octane to gas up with. But I shy away from the cheapest in town and stick with a tried and true. It may mean a dollar more for a fill up for me, a couple or 3 for the big guys.

Do I remember that regular used to be 87? And get that this is a long range result with poor gas or can you see a change soon after. MPG never changed even with premium. Our state does not have EPA testing requirements.

The article does not say which states their product is being used, and would have to look at gas prices locally to compare the use of such. I didn't read the original post, are we discussing auto longevity, repairs needed, MPG? I'll go back and read the post.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

-Okay, I read the post and both links. Not that I understood everything. Other than my engine will be much happier with the additive. How does one know how much additive is there percentage wise comparing gas companies? Neither article specified or I missed this. And don't ask your service guy, they will tell you regular is fine....but am an old lady and they really don't think my brain is up to reality.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

I have a new MB 350 ML SUV - but we opted for a diesel engine (3.0 liter turbo V-6) and DH and I have been positively thrilled with the performance. We have a vacation home in the PA mountains with a significantly steep road and this engine doesn't even strain during the ascent. My previous car was a Porsche Cayenne and while it had plenty of power to go up the road it's rpm's also rose. The diesel also provides greater torque (455 lb-ft @1,600 - 2,400 rpm) and mileage.

I know diesel isn't rated by octane but by cetane and I must admit that I've never even looked at the gas pump to see what the cetane level is. I'll have to check the next time I get fill up.

• quilly
    9 years ago

That was in interesting read - I'll pass that along to DH.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

"Our state does not have EPA testing requirements."

I am amazed that there are so many states that don't require testing! Some don't even have safety inspections either. Wow.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah....in wide-open ND, there's obviously never been any emissions-testing. Too few of us (& engines) up here!

If you read the testing stuff (in FAQ section), I believe it explains the minimums, & the Top-tier requirements.

>>> Again...this TT-designation isn't about OCTANE. The MAIN factor here is the higher DETERGENT/lubricant levels.
    >>> There's "normal" premiums....and the MUCH better "Top-Tier Premiums".

Faron

• tinam61
    9 years ago

We don't go for the cheapest gas either - although I am thrilled to see the lower prices. My husband went to an auto diesel school (before changing careers LOL) and there are only certain places he will buy gas. I buy what he tells me LOL as I will admit, I've really not studied up on it.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess you can call this my "PSA" here on the GW, LOL!

If you've got a newer engine, this subject can be very important.

Faron

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

When I bought my new ride, the dealer handed me a list of recommended brands of gas to buy. That had never happened before. All are on the list in your link plus several others. Obviously some on the list are regional, but the article is very interesting. Thanks!