Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Rats! Prob'ly need Knee-scoping done...

Faron79
10 years ago

Hmmmm-

Had an MRI done on my left knee today.

I had been doing squats this summer/fall to strengthen my legs. Turns out, I may have made my left knee worse!! This Sept., my left knee seemed like it stayed swollen a little more, and was getting very stiff in front. It's always seemed a hair bigger than my "clean" right knee though...

Waaay back in 1978, I had MCL surgery for a HS-Football injury. So I've got the 8-inch long "battle-scar" plainly visible on the inside edge! Couple years after this, the "scoping" procedures became the way to do it, using only the 2 short scars....Oh well!

The MRI-
Well...turns-out...there's a few Meniscus tears in a couple spots, & behind the kneecap. Being I'm on my feet all day, it does get stiff and sore. Thank goodness for the Rx of Diclofenac!! Really helps with the pain & swelling.

So- Stage III of this journey!
Ortho-Dr. referred me to a long-time very well-known Ortho-Surgeon here in town. I see him on Nov. 12th to learn his views on my MRI results. The Doc I've seen initially this fall now thinks the best results will probably come from surgery to "clean things up" in there!

>>> Have any of you guys/SO's had any knee-scoping done?!!? Any stories and/or hints!?!?

Thanks!
Faron

Comments (17)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

DH had his knee done after a treadmill mishap. Same thing...clean it up in there. It went very well, surgery was done in a "surgical center" and it took the doc all of 20 min to do it. He was able to put weight on his leg right away, though he really didn't want to...but it was a good thing as if he had to use the crutches, he would've fallen for sure with them...so he used a cane and we have a sitting/rolling walker which helped him get around for awhile. He went to PT and was back to normal within a couple of weeks, though as I recall, it took quite a bit longer for the pain to improve over what it was pre-surgery. Now though he doesn't have any pain at all.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee about 10 years ago.
    I tore my meniscus water skiing when I was in my teens and when I was 30 the knee became unstable so they removed the torn cartilage. That worked for about 20 years and then I started having difficulty walking long distances and I would get spasms in my knee and leg.

My ortho cleaned out the detritus and and after a few days I was walking normally again. I knew this was just a temporary improvement since I had advanced osteoarthritus. Last year I went in and had both knees replaced and I'm happily swimming and walking again.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Just want to say I hope you get it all fixed up and you are better than ever in no time! Hate thinking of you feeling so awful.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow!

Thanks for your "Knee-stories" gang!! It's comforting knowing some of my "friends & family" here have done well!
    It's a little surprising to me though....how MANY knees are done, & how quick recovery typically is nowadays!

Thanks,
    Faron

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

Here's hoping it is just a meniscus repair. We had an employee who had been having knee pain and then one day his knee gave out on him. He got in for surgery within days and 2 weeks after the surgery he was back at work with no restrictions (we farm and he drives truck so it was a physically demanding job).

My sons have had ACL and MCL scopes and surgery. One dislocated his knee cap and one tore his ACL twice. Those required much more down time and physical rehab.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I had a bad knee injury and they did the scoping and took out bone chips and cleaned out the damage. I was out shopping in four days limping a bit but it didn't stop me. Never had any pain since. Do it as the drugs for pain cause the most damage. I took naproxin for 12 years as per drs. orders for back pain and now I have kidney disease and can't take anything. The less pain meds you take the better. Good luck.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Appreciate the info. guys!!!

Next Tues a.m. the 12th is the Ortho-Surgeon appt. Not sure why I'm nervous, but I am! Maybe it's because it's more directly "limiting" as far as getting-around goes!?!?! My 9-2010 Hernia operation didn't really affect mobility at all.

The Nov./Dec. 2011 Leg-Vein procedures were only a pain since the legs were wrapped for a while.
    Maybe this'll be even quicker?!?!

After all....I haven't had a KNEE operation in 35 yrs.!! ;-)

Faron

• mojomom
    10 years ago

DD just had both knees scoped and cleaned out last Thursday (no tears). She was mobile immediately, but wrapped with ace bandages from thigh to ankle until Sunday morning. I think she used crutches the first day just to be careful. She just took it easy for a couple of days, was out and about by Sunday, and back at work this morning. She says she has had very little pain. She will have a little PT, but Dr. said she will be fine to ski by Christmas, if not before.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Good luck Faron, get back to us and let us know how your "faring" lol.

• kennedyronna
    10 years ago

A common ailment that you are likely to suffer from is pain in your knee. As you get older your body begins to slowly deteriorate, which eventually leads to severe knee pain. Chronic pain in your knee is something that can affect many aspects of your life. Because the knee is a joint that you are constantly using, almost everything you do requires the use of your knee. There are various methods of reducing knee pain such as stretching exercises,laser therapy, Physical therapy. Its important to find treatment for knee pain, which will help you manage your pain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beating Patellar Tendonitis

This post was edited by kennedyronna on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 3:02

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Faron, DH just had his knee scoped and cleaned out 3 weeks ago. Meniscus tear and pieces floating around, plus some arthritis scraped off the tibia. I have had 2 torn ACL's reconstructed - 1 in '91 and the other this past Feb, both from skiing. Also had the meniscus thing about 4 years ago too. The ACLs were much worse of course, especially with the pain and recovery, but the scopes truly aren't bad. Everyone else has made comments already about what to expect. DH whined more than I did. He went to 1 crutch for a couple of days and then used a cane after that for a fe days. He's retired so he could rest a lot, but he did do his exercises at home twice a says as instructed. Bug thing is to ensure you build up your quads...they are your workhorse and stability muscle and will go a long way toward taking the load off your knee. The most pain is when you try to pivot or turn a corner for a while...it will be painful when you weight that leg. Best of luck with it, and it is ok to be nervous!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow!
    You've all been so gracious with all the info. to consider, and ?'s to ask the Dr.

(and yes...being a Guy means my odds of "whining" go up...;-) I'm gonna stay in practice!!)

Faron

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow, Faron. I think the anticipation and worry is the worst. Once you know for sure exactly what needs to be done, you will probably feel better. Good luck!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I sending best wishes to you also.

outsideplaying, what is the prognosis for your dh's knee? Is the cleanout a temporary solution or will it put him back in action for many more years?

• Faron79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyn & Marti (& all here...) -

You guys are too nice!
    Yes...the "lead-up" to a surgery consult makes thoughts go thru MY head anyway!

Faron

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Faron, keep in touch after the surgery, we're anxious to hear from you. I'm sure you'll be "fit as a fiddle" in no time.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Anxious to hear what you find out today!

tina

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths