Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Craigs List REALLY paid off!!

neetsiepie
13 years ago

On Wednesday, DH and I discovered we'd been robbed of 3 guns sometime over the last 3-4 weeks. Nothing else was missing, just these 3 shot guns that had been in the gun case in our family room. We knew immediately that it had been someone who knew DH's patterns, had been in our house before, and who knew the dogs. I immediately suspected this guy who DH had hired off an on to do work for him. DH wasn't sure, he felt it probably was the guy (call him S), but didn't want to believe that S would do that to him.

We called the sheriffs and made a report. We told them we suspected S, but had no proof. The Deputy told us that S had an existing warrant and they would probably pick him up on that anyway. We also decided to place an add on CL listing a reward for the return of, or information about our guns. We had several people give us tips of places to post messages and other places to check (pawn shops, etc)...they were all very nice and helpful people. But then last night we had a call from a fellow named Tim to call him about the guns.

Today DH called Tim and lo and behold...S had sold him our guns!! S told Tim that he had worked for a concrete contractor and the contractor couldn't pay him the $300 for the job, so he gave S the guns in exchange. Of course, this was a complete lie...in fact, S owed DH $30!! Tim's neighbor mentioned to him yesterday about our CL ad, and Tim was honest and called us. DH went and got the guns and Tim was so upset and angry with S...not that HE was out the money, but that S had stolen the guns.

Apparently S got in our back slider door while DH was out. DH had failed to lock that door before leaving. S slipped in, got past the dogs (he'd played with them before, so knew how to handle them) and wrapped the guns in our BBQ cover.

Tim gave DH the guns, didn't want any reward or money, and agreed to give the police his statement. His wife hated S the first time she met him, thought he was a creep and my DH told him that I had the same reaction. I never liked S and chewed DH out repeatedly for letting that creep near our home. Tim & DH compared notes and concluded that S was a regular thief...S once told DH he could get him some locker beef at a good price, but I told DH we didn't want any. It appears Tim had a couple freezers of beef, and S had probably been ripping him off for a while. S had also done work for Tim in the past.

So thanks to CraigsList and honest people, we've got our stolen property back and if all goes well, another thief will be off the streets. And HOPEFULLY, my DH will start to listen to me when I tell him some people give me the creeps and I don't want them around.

Comments (17)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

It's so good that you got your guns back and "S" will be arrested and no one was hurt. It could of turned out differently. See, there are still good guys like Tim left in this world. Always listen to your intuitions, good work Pesky and Pesky's husband.

.....Jane

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

Wow, so lucky the guns did not end up in the hands of someone looking to commit a crime or something. It is nice to hear there are some real honest folks out there.

It is hard to hire someone these days. Even the ones that check out can be scary. My friend's husband turned to drugs, she has kicked him out, and he has returned to their home and stole tvs and such. My dh worries he might come to our home because he was here just before getting into drugs. We have a dog and really nosey neighbors that are great about watching our homes.

Last year when my nephew was away fishing in Alaska with his housemates his and the neighboring houses were all robbed. College town where lots of student go home for summer. Well, they took my deceased BIL's wedding ring that my nephew kept on a heavy gold chain since his dad died. My sis tried all the local pawn shops and even CL but no luck. It was really sad.

Luckily, my nephew, after a few days of being distraught, came to his senses and realized that it was only a ring. The robber may have taken the possession but could never take away the memories of his dad. Pretty good for a 24yr old guy.

Anyhoo, really glad your guns are back in safe keeping. Don't ride your dh too hard for this one. I think one solid "I told you something was not right" will go a long way.

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

wow, that's quite a story. I would still "reward" Tim and his wife, bring them a large gift basket or something. Or give them an extra special gift this Christmas.

My DH does stuff like that, he hired the neighbor's son to do some work on the house not knowing anything about the guy. I found him creepy and he talked like he had no experience. Turned out he was just been released from prison and that he isn't on the outside for very long before he gets thrown back in. When I asked my husband how could you hire someone you knew nothing about he said he was desperate and "just wanted the job to get done". THAT'S the reason? What goes through these men's minds!! Just because the person is a man...is that the only qualification they need to meet? Is there ever a point where they say to themselves, is the risk really worth it just to get the job over with? I was relieved to hear the guy was back in prison again so DH wouldn't be tempted to hire him. By the time he was released we were planning another DIY project. Would you believe DH actually said to me, "maybe I should hire..." I shreaked, "you bring that man into our home again and you'll wish you were in prison!" I'm not taking on this guy as a charity case and risking being robbed in the process. He has no common sense whatsoever. I guess because they don't worry about being attacked or raped they think they can handle anything. How wrong they are.

• golddust
    13 years ago

Pesky! What an amazing story! We hire through word of mouth from people we trust. Period. We've made lots of new friends this way and we would never bring in anyone we know nothing about.

I am glad you got your guns back but I would consider keeping them somewhere other than a common room in your house where everyone who walks in can see them. I inherited an old Colt 22, it was my Uncle's rattlesnake gun. It's a major collectable from the 30s. I own no bullets for it and keep it locked up in a secret place.

Get those guns off public display! STAT!

• texanjana
    13 years ago

That is amazing. My oldest brother had several guns stolen years ago. He was pretty sure it was a creepy person who had been in his home, but no proof and no CL back then. One of the guns was very old and valuable, it belonged to our grandfather. He never got them back. You are so lucky!

DH keeps his guns in a locked safe in our master bedroom closet, never on public view.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Girls, you are preaching to the choir here. I ok'd the two guns I put up on the cornices in that room because DH assured me they're not really fireable. I've found that most of our guests don't realize they're there!! One is so rusty, I don't think it'd have any value, but it looks neat in his 'cowboy' room.

I tried to turn the gun cabinet into a display cabinet, I added shelves and hooks, but DH put some guns in there. He likes to show them to his friends and 'play' with them...you know, clean them, touch them, etc. MOST of the guns are in cases put in a safe place. But DH is so darned stubborn. He's very lax about things and we've argued MANY times about him being so trusting. He just announced that he can't find the nail gun and he's unable to find a set of Craftsman tools. I'm not sure if they've made their way off, or if DH, in his horrible clutter, has misplaced them.

I am UBER-organized. It's almost a sickness how I have things so categorized, labled and put up. I pretty much know what we have and where...while my DH has A.D.D. and is so scattered he literally loses his keys the moment he walks in the door. Once he gets his hands on something, it's gone...until I find it. So I can't say if we're missing tools or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. DH doesn't always lock up his shop, either. Again...that trust/A.D.D. thing.

He has always been a sucker for a sob story. And he sincerely believes that people are good and would not rip you off if they befriend you. So these creeps tend to seek him out.

DH SAYS he's learned his lesson, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Instead, I've now taken a photo of every gun, recorded all the info on them (not just serial #'s) and stored it electronically. I'm going to put new padlocks on the gates and put the keys on DH's key ring (he tends to leave them elsewhere and of course, loses them, then cuts the padlocks). I'm also going to see about having the door locks changed...JUST in case.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

You can also engrave your guns and tools with an ID number or mark of some kind (my dad always used his brand), so things can't "stray". Not your phone or b'day and not your SSN, naturally.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Wow, what a cool story.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Wow, what a story! I have to say that this was pure luck - not only honesty; that the neighbor was looking at Craigs lists! I agree about doing something for Tim & his wife; heck maybe sending a gas card or something to the original neighbor that saw the ad.

I hope S gets locked up; chances are that he will hire an attorney & get out of it.

Have you thought about putting an alarm system in? I don't know what I'd do some days without it. I also want to make my web cams into a security cam.

Your story was very uplifting Pesky. It's nice to see there are still good guys out there.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, my DH is making a birdbath for Tim's wife, but they refused to take a reward. He didn't identify the neighbor, but we're definitely sending out gratitude to the universe.

I'd love an alarm system, but given DH's propensity for leaving doors open/unlocked...I'd be afraid they'd cancel us for too many false alarms.

• covingtoncat
    13 years ago

Hey Pesky! The alarm company won't cancel you for false alarms but the police department may fine you. Ask me how I know .....

• natal
    13 years ago

Apparently this is all too common. Read about another case just the other day.

Here we pay the police department a one time only filing fee of $25 fee to register our security system. There are no fines for false alarms if you've paid the fee.

• bac717
    13 years ago

Here's another story I recently heard about where Craigslist helped track down stolen goods.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_16369271?nclick_check=1

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Glad all worked out well. Honest Tim and good karma prevailed, I suspect.

The alarm company won't charge you, but your local PD will charge you over a designated number of false alarm visits in a certain period of time. Ask me how I know? (had to stop using our sound alarm because a certain young lab pup went crazy in his crate when we were out). You can still have an alarm system, tho. There are all kinds of set ups. I wouldn't live without one!

I would get security signs if you can and post them on your property.

I would definitely not display firearms in my home, especially if you have no alarm and anyone tends to leave a door open here and there...

Hope you find the other items currently gone MIA.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Wow, scary story but with a great ending. I'm glad for you!
    Lynn

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

Wow, glad to hear you got them back ok. What's going to happen to S? Did they arrest him?

It sounds like you're very gun savvy, but this is why I do not like having guns around the house period. I hope there's a lock on the gun case? I'm also assuming there's no bullets that someone could get their hands on nearby? Just the idea of some guy coming in and stealing your things, what if you had walked in on him taking them? Yikes.

I guess I watch too much TV and read about too many shootings in the paper with people accidentally shooting someone they know "playing" with a gun.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh I really dislike guns. I made DH store the ammo in a completely different place. He's not allowed to keep an armed gun in our house...he knows that is instant grounds for divorce. Seriously!

He's got his hunting rifles, but doesn't hunt anymore. I don't mind target shooting, and want to go skeet shooting, but I don't like hunting. I won't go into my feelings on guns (HOT TOPIC!!) but we did not have guns in our house, except his hunting rifle, until our kids were out of the house.

As to the jerk, S...I'm STILL trying to get the sheriffs office to call me back. I'm pretty perturbed, and DH is livid. So tomorrow I'm going to go over the head of the deputy that took the original call. I might even consider contacting our newspaper if I don't get some satisfaction soon. I mean, this jerk is still running around out there!!

We don't perceive him as a threat, but I don't trust that he's not got a big mouth. I know he wouldn't risk coming by if we're home...he knows DH would pummel him. My DH is a big guy...S is a pipsqueak. And I'm pretty sure he won't come back around again...he knows DH and his friends are looking for him.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County