Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

sort of a survey question

ms-thrifty
10 years ago

since I am spending some free time browsing on the youlookfab site am wondering just how many people are like the posters on there-It seems that what they are wearing, how they look, are they on trend, etc. is so terribly important. I am of the opinion that about 80% of the people you encounter, co workers, family, friends etc. do not pay much attention to what you wear on an every day basis. Unless you dressed in an inappropriate manner, wore bright red or such, something too revealing, too tight, no one would even remember what you wore yesterday.
also I am convinced how you look in garments is more important than the garments themselves. One can pay $500.00 for a dress and if it doesn't look good on you can look worse than a $25.00 dress that fits well, and looks good on you.
Was having a discussion with a friend who works at Chicos and she said she often tells customers that just because it fits (all that sandex in everything these days) doesn't mean it is your right size. I have to agree-----

Comments (8)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree that people don't remember the specifics and don't even notice a lot, but they do remember the impression you create...if you look stylish or frumpy, well or ill, like you care about how you look or if you just rolled out of bed, and of course appropriate, within the confines of the norm of the group you are with.

I also think that what you wear impacts how you feel, how confident you will feel, how you interact with others. I think your clothes can support who you are or detract from who you are. And the impression you make will impact how others treat you. I had a discussion with a reporter the other day and I was very concerned about how the article would come out, as nothing about her look suggested that she was competent and careful. It really belied her capabilities, as she did a great job with the article.

I agree that fit is everything and a well fitted dress that's inexpensive can look a lot better than an ill-fitted expensive one. And an important part of fit is "ease" (the amount of space between you and the clothing) which seems to have gone out the window with the addition of spandex...though, in my opinion, ease is still just as important and the spandex should just make it easier to move. I want ease, with or without spandex.

I remember a gal at work who was "curvy" and she always wore these knitted suits and looked like a stuffed sausage. One time she complained that these are the only size 12 suits that fit properly and that's why she buys them. I didn't have the heart to tell her to go up to a size 16 and she'll find a lot more to wear that will look so much more flattering on her. It had nothing to do with money (hubby bought them his and her matching mercedes sports cars for their anniversary). It had everything to do with vanity as she also wore shoes too small and the flesh on the top of her foot would bulge out the top.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Ow.

I hate shoes that don't fit, and feel sorry for anyone who has the means to buy proper shoes and does not. I am one of the only people I know of my peers that does not have bunions or other deformities on my feet, or back or knee issues. I wear a 8 narrow, and I buy (and pay the higher price they command) to buy the correct size.

To answer your question, I think that what you wear or don't wear professionally impacts your effectiveness to do your job in the eyes of those who interact with you. I don't mean that you have to spend a lot of money. But you need to make others comfortable and confident in your abilities and show you take your job seriously. This of course varies by industry. My hair stylist is in a profession selling fashion, I am in a profession selling complex equipment and need to appear organized, successful, and focused. Most of my work clothes are Lands End, but they are enhanced with conservative jewelry, nice shoes, and the fashionable hair style from aforementioned stylist.

If I dressed like my hair stylist, I would not be dressed correctly for my job. But if she dressed like me, she would not be dressed correctly for her job.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

I concur with everything said by Julie and Annie. Nothing much to add other than more women need to invest in properly fitted undergarments ( and replace rather than wear to a thread bare no support state) The foundation pieces can make or break the fit of an outfit (regardless of price). And like you, ms t, I too enjoy a good find. I frequently mix luxury pieces with something vintage or bought at target. The one piece of clothing I tend to always splurge on is shoes. I spent too many years abusing my feet in cleats. I find good quality shoes are often expensive.

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 1:13

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

I agree with the above replies I might be considered one who spends too much time on fashion but I'm very visual so fashion, home decor, landscaping, etc. are all fun for me. (Just so I don't come off as a complete bimbo, I am trying to learn Spanish in my spare time:))

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I also think another HUGE part of one's image is that everything is in good 'repair'. Grooming includes making sure you aren't sporting scuffed shoes, chipped nail polish (fingers and toes), scraggly hair, even BO or bad breath etc...all that is registered instantaneously and perhaps almost subliminally by others. And it really does make a difference in how one is perceived.

Ann

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

One of the reasons that people wear the wrong sizes is the stigma attached to it. My daughter is tall, curvy, and muscular (she is an athlete). Trying to find dresses is hard. She is a teenager and wants to where the styles in the junior department. Unfortunately those usually don't fit very well in the bust. Most items in the junior are geared for thin girls with no bust. If she moves into the misses department the styles don't fit a teenager. She is not overweight and her body is porportional but fashions say every teenage girl is a qtip. Thankfully last night we found a dress that fits well and she likes it.

I remember at one point in my life not fitting into clothes and realizing I was going to have to move into the plus sized area. Well I refused and just wore a tight fitting dress instead. Why is there a separate dept for bigger sizes? and smaller sizes too? Just put them on the same rack with the other sizes.

Also, clothes is sooo expensive. Even undergarments.

I am probably going to need a new wardrobe soon. Lost my job where I worked at home in my PJs. Most of my jobs while office jobs, were very casual which is what I like. I'm not sure I'm going to find that again. I would never take a job if the dress code required suits. I dread having to go shopping for new clothes.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I agree with so much of what's already been said. I wear jeans 90% of the time but they're decent jeans, well tailored and not mom jeans. If I'm working, I'm wearing the jeans with a blazer or nice sweater and good shoes, accessories, etc. If I'm not working, I'm wearing the jeans with a more casual top and shoes, maybe, but I never wear sneakers outside the gym, or a sweatshirt for that matter. Not because I'm snobby or super stylish, but I feel like I look either like a boy (I'm short, small chested, and have short hair!) or like my mother -- her weekend uniform was sweatshirt, sneakers, and elastic waist jeans.

I'm not high maintenance but I do love a manicure. I keep my nails short with neutral polish, and I hate cutting/filing them myself. For me it's $12 very well spent!

As funny girl said, I'm visual so I do tend to notice the details, but I don't "judge" based on them. I will say that as I get older, I do feel compelled to put a little more effort into my appearance. For me that means thinking about wearing mascara, but only actually doing it about twice a week. I look so much better with a little eye makeup...problem is, I'm too lazy to bother.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

When interviewing for employees I had OCD regarding polished shoes and clean hands/nails (not a manicure per se). Proper dress was important too, but the two items tended to tell me a great deal about their ability for details.