Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

If you are tall do you wear high heels?

terezosa / terriks
13 years ago

I am fairly tall - 5 feet 8.5 inches (used to be 5 ft. 9 in, but I've shrunk a bit) I normally don't wear very high heels, but I recently bought - and wore - a pair with 4.5 inch heels. I wore them to my high school reunion, where I felt more confident being tall, but in my everyday life I often just feel big and awkward when I am towering over people. Especially at work, where most everyone else is shorter than me when I'm wearing flats - even the men.

I just wanted to see how the other tall girls feel about heels.

Comments (22)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Nope. I am 6' and feel self conscious towering over everyone...and I do that enough as it is.
    Growing up, my mother told me all the time I looked like a model...whatever! She was trying constantly to make me outgoing and secure.
    Didn't work much but I loved her for it.
    I did wear low heels for most of my twenties and then got serious about finding a husband and switched to flats when I met the future dh who is a little shorter than I am.

I'm sure there are lots of confident tall women in the world who can wear heels but I feel best in something under 1". Or even pancake flat.
    Yep.

In my twenties, I had a friend in her thirties who was my height. She used to wear heels all the time but, she wasn't pretty. She was thin enough but had a "butterface".
    She looked kinda grotesque and sooo tall. I distinctly remember thinking I never want to look like her.

I pay a lot of attention to my clothing, grooming and overall appearance because I feel self conscious. I also love fashion so that's a part too. When I feel I look great, I feel great.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

I Looooovvve seeing a tall Woman in high-heels!

(now at least I know to look for the Red soles...;-)!)

Well, being 6'3", I've seen very few Gals taller...even with heels.

Faron

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

When I was taller (5'8" now 5'6 1/2) and before lymphedema, I loved to wear heels. I've always been taller than most of my friends, so it didn't matter. My eldest DD is 5'10" and she wears them when she goes out. My younger DD, who is only 5'4" never wears them.

Even now I'm taller than most of the women I work with, and I'm not even that tall anymore! In fact, I hate that I shrunk (compressed discs in my neck plus aging made me shorter) since I can't reach high things any more. I hate being a shrimp!

• golddust
    13 years ago

I'm 5'4" and I am still learning to walk properly in heels. I was the generation of Earth Shoes and Berkies. Now I am on training heels. 2 1/2" tops. I have a pair of kitten heels that are challenging for me to wear. Too much country where I live. Sidewalks aren't even level here. Tree roots, etc. Heels are an extremely rare sighting and everyone notices!

• deegw
    13 years ago

My friend and her two teenage daughters are all well over 6 foot. She says that every time they go somewhere, people are always checking out their feet to see if they have heels on. They never wear them.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Another who was always "tall".. was 5'8" - now they say I'm 5'7" - how did I lose an inch? lol

In my school pics; I'm usually one of the tallest girls - I used to hate it. Why couldn't I be normal sized like everyone else? Just being a few inches taller was enough to make you self conscious.

My attire used to be work boots; Chinese slippers or Capezios, it all depended where I was going - if I was going to the city; I'd put heals on. Then I had a cowboy boot craze in my 20's - think back to Poison - the snake boots.

Now I can only wear slipper moccasins; I can't find shoes or sneakers that don't throw my fused spine off. I've been wearing them for years & swear I was one of the 1st people to walk around in slippers! lol I do try to find slippers that look like shoes though.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I am short and used to wear high heels through my 40s. Now, only flats for me, but I work with some wonderfully tall young teachers who look fantastic in their spike heels. They tower over me at around 6' in their heels-just a guess...may be taller. I say go for it. Stand up straight and tall in those heels!!! :)

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I'm 5'10" and I usually wear flats or clogs around in the daytime, but if I'm going out, of course I wear heels! My husband's shorter than I am, and he knows how tall he is. If I'm not having to walk any farther than the distance between the valet parking and the front door, I'm for heels. Wedges and hidden platforms also work if you don't like the teetering feeling.

And I doubt that the OP is really awkward--if you're tall, flaunt it and give the guys at work something to look up to. You're a goddess!

• threedgrad
    13 years ago

Well, I am 5'7" and I wear heels sometimes, just on days I am just at my sitting down all day job not on days where I am working my sales job and walking on hard floors.

• covingtoncat
    13 years ago

I used to be 5'9" and am now 5'8". its been a relief to hear about fellow shrinkers - LOL. When I was in my teens and 20's I wore heels often. I stopped when I was pregnant with my first (now 20) and never went back. I have one pair of dress shoes with a two inch heel and that's about all I can manage. All others with heels are boots and they are lower with the exception of one pair (what was I thinking?). Whenever I wear heels now I feel like a weeble, except I worry that I will fall off!

• segbrown
    13 years ago

I'm 5'9" -- I occasionally wear heels, but less and less as I've had big toe issues (not caused by heels, but it's painful to wear them). Husband is 6'2", almost all former boyfriends were 6'4" and up, so I never even thought about "the guy," lol. Mostly I'm more comfortable in lower heels, all around, but I have some KorkEase platform sandals that are pretty high, and very comfy, and I still wear those.

• texanjana
    13 years ago

I am 5'9", and I have always loved heels. I wear more wedges now because they are much more comfortable than a spiky heel. My boss is 6'1", and she often wears heels too. Who cares if we tower over everybody, including men?

• golddust
    13 years ago

My niece is 6'1" and she is a goddess!

• housewitch
    13 years ago

I'm 5'9" and I do wear heels. Most of my office shoes have a bit of heel - around 2" - and the majority of my dress shoes have high heels - up to about 4".

DH is 5'11" and I often do seem a bit taller than him. Doesn't seem to bother him much. I also grew up in a family of very tall (6'6" or more) men, so I guess I never felt like I was a towering giant, even in heels. My very petite (4"8"), and very unkind, great aunt once commented that I was already far to tall to ever be attractive. Even at 13 and 5'6", I just laughed.

FWIW, I have a number of friends and aquaintances in the 5'10" to 6'2" range who all wear heels when the occaision calls for it.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

"kitten heels"...G@wd I hate that look on Women!
    Sometimes there's a clothing/shoe style that makes me want to hurl....kitten-heels are my "cross-to-a-vampire" equivalent!

(apologies to fans of that shoe!)

Faron

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I'm 5'6 1/2" and would LOVE to be able to wear high heels again . . . but I can't seem to get comfortable in them anymore. I tend to stumble and trip in them these days. DH says that's because I ruined my feet wearing high heels during my twenties. Two foot surgeries, with another one to go, I guess that I've officially given them up :~(
    Lynn

• CristyRobbins
    10 years ago

I'm 5'7" and I still wear them. Though I limit the amount of time I do. And I always look for comfortable high heels when I go shopping. Marchez Vous is one of my favorites. I also have a pair of flats in my car in case heels starts to hurt my feet and I change to my flats.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

This is an old thread, but may I say, I wish I could wear heels, but I also ruined my feet in my twenties.

For DD's wedding this summer, I found a pair of nice sparkly 3 inch heels I was able to walk in for a while, as soon as we sat down for the dinner and all the pictures were taken, I slipped away and put on a new pair of beige suede ballerina flats I had bought for this occasion, I felt like there were a hundred knives digging in my feet. But at least I looked good in the pictures, my dress had a split out front so the shoe was important.

• john Shaw
    10 months ago

I love when tall women wear heels. I am very tall though so even if my wife wears super tall heels she is still much shorter than me

• john Shaw
    10 months ago

Funny story, because I am so tall my wife wears towering heels all the time. At church she has a friend she always thought she was taller than because that friend is 5'10" and always wears flats. My wife is 5'7" and always wears 5-6 inch heels to church. They were discussing their height one day and my wife couldn't believe it when her friend told her how tall she was. My wife said "here stand up next to me ok?" She was clearly taller than her friend with her very tall heels. She teased her friend from there on out calling her shorty every time she saw her. She would put her arm around her or on her head to make her feel short. She always told my wife to take off her heels and see who is really taller but my wife never would. Even her friends daughter who looked very short next to my wife because she never wore heels either was 5'7" too and only 13.

• john Shaw
    10 months ago

So one week at church my wife's friend said "hey does your wife ever take off her heels" I said "usually right after church she takes them off" My wife's friend said "well I bought some very tall heels online for my daughter and I and we want to surprise her at home wearing them to compare height with her.. To get her back for all the times she called us shorty" I laughed and told them a good time to stop by. I laughed just at the thought of my wife being shorter than them. So we got home from church and as usual my wife immediately took off her heels so she was just in her dress and pantyhose stocking feet. I gave her a hug and she said "Geez I forget just how tall you are until I take off my heels!" (I am over 7 feet tall). She did seem oddly short that day maybe because I knew what was about to happen.

• john Shaw
    10 months ago

So my wife's friend calls me and tells me she is at my house. My wife is taking a quick nap in her dress because we have somewhere to go about an hour later. I picked her heels off the floor and hid them because I knew if someone came over the first thing she would do is look for heels to put on. So I sneak my wife's friend in the front door with her daughter. I am very tall but couldn't believe how tall they were with the heels they bought on. They must have been `12" because even at my height they seemed just a little shorter than me. They could barely walk in them.

I go into my bedroom and tell my wife that someone was here to see her. She said "what, I didn't hear the door?" She got up and immediately said "where are my heels? I left them right there on the floor. Who is it at the door?" I told her someone from church I didn't recognize which she didn't think much about because she was always talking to people at church I didn't know. So she said "whatever, I don't want to keep them waiting" So she walks out of our room into the entry way and stands awestruck when she sees them. My poor wife was in shock as they walked up to her to hug her and her head had to tilt all the way up to see them. I thought it was so funny that she was just taller than them at church and now looked so tiny next to them. In her pantyhose feet she was towered over by her friend and her daughter. They teased her and patted her on the head calling her shorty. It was so funny.