Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happylady1957

Opinions Please!!

happylady1957
10 years ago

Hi All,

This is a question that has bothered me for a while. I would like to know your opinion on reproduction oil paintings. I came across a site called ArtsHeaven.com. They have what appear to be many lovely reproductions of mostly well-known, and some not so well-known, oil paintings. There is also a feature where you pay extra for "ageing" of the piece. I would not have that done, as it feels as if I am trying to fool someone into thinking I have priceless art!

Would you hang this art in your home? I do have some other original art, but can't find anything I like done in oils. Somehow it feels like I am being duplicitous, but I would readily "fess up" if asked where the "original" was from!

Thanks in advance

Comments (15)

• golddust
    10 years ago

Wow. My nephew married a Renior. I'm shocked to see how much our Renea looks like the person in this painting. I think he was her Great grandfather. She is a curly haired red head with those same pink cheeks. I blindly showed this to DH and he immediately said 'Renea'

Have to show her this website and see what she thinks. She may be happy to be able to afford one of his paintings in her house. None of the family can afford to insure them so they lend them to museums.

• golddust
    10 years ago

This is Pascale. She is the fifth Renoir generation. Am I the only one who sees the strong gene pool?

Sorry to hijack your thread. Just stunned by the resemblance of our close family members to that painting.

Carry on.

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, Golddust! The resemblance is so strong. Beautiful child.

So do you think it's okay to hang one of these reproductions? Am I being silly?

Tia!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Seriously, I have no idea. I deal with her on a whole other level. Child care, visits, Holidays and plant sharing. I score clothing for Pascale and she hands down used toys for my great grand. I love her but don't relate on an art level. I know she infrequently gets $ from the art when it changes museums but she is a forager. Loves to forage and can foods.

She looks like her great grandmother. Solid built. Pascale is following in that woman in the paintings footsteps.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Seriously, I have no idea. I deal with her on a whole other level. Child care, visits, Holidays and plant sharing. I score clothing for Pascale and she hands down used toys for my great grand. I love her but don't relate on an art level. I know she infrequently gets $ from the art when it changes museums but she is a forager. Loves to forage and can foods.

She looks like her great grandmother. Solid built. Pascale is following in that woman in the paintings footsteps.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Art is a creative vehicle that can take us different places in our minds. It can relax us. Invigorate us. It can make us happy just by looking at a piece. How can having a piece of art in your home that your love, regardless of whether it's an original or a copy, be wrong? In my opinion, it can't. Art is meant to be loved, enjoyed, shared. If you love a piece and want to have it on your wall to enjoy every day, I say go for it!
    Lynn (who is passionate about art)

• yborgal
    10 years ago

I see nothing wrong with hanging art reproductions in a home. I also wouldn't have any problem if they'd been aged.

What about new pieces of furniture distressed to look old? It's done all the time by high end manufacturers and current furniture artisans.

If you like the artwork, I say buy it and display it with pride.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

I agree with Lynn and Mona. Here's what I have found: Most original oils that aren't pricy ( into the thousands) are not worthy.....in my eye. Not that I could not find them , were I on a serious hunt.
    I fell in love with an unsigned oil , or looks like oil, or whatever....certainly not original, at Nieman Marcus ten years ago. It's in an impressionist style, but certainly not a well known one. I continue to adore it. Guests and friends have admired it. No one asks, but I tell my friends how I found it. My happiness with it, I believe, also stems from it not being well known. For example, dog lover that I am, many years ago, as a newlywed, I came aross a framed print of Wyeth's Master Bedroom and had to have it! So did a zillion others, and I quickly tired it. As for Arts heaven, I'd need to be able to return it, and would then order a small one as a test.
    Gold...... Yep, she's darling and I see the resemblance!

• User
    10 years ago

I'd buy, hang, and enjoy. I like original oil, but wouldn't drop big bucks on one because I switch out my art and change around. I find most of my art at 2nd hand places. Nobody that ever comes to my house would notice or care if my art is original or not. If it doesn't bother you, go for it.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I have a small reproduction oil of Van Gogh's Postman that I bought to commemorate a family visit to a really lovely museum in Philadelphia. I keep it by my mail drop area in the kitchen.

My children and I spent a long time picking out just the right version. Some snide woman standing next to us stage whispered, "How can people buy these things? No one will possibly believe they are real." I thought, "No sh%#, Sherlock."

Buy it if you love it. Just don't pretend that it's real!

Goldy - your sweet baby is too cute.

{{gwi:1524696}}

This post was edited by deee on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 15:01

• golddust
    10 years ago

I'm sorry. I just can't get past the resembelance of my family members to 'Madame Renoir'. This is her great granddaughter.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

HappyLady1957, I agree with earlier posters that if you see an image that inspires and delights you, you should feel completely comfortable having it in your home.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

OMG, Goldie, she certainly looks like the model for that painting herself! Lovely!

• suero
    10 years ago

My mother copied a Fantin-Latour, and I have it hanging over my fireplace. It brings joy to me every time I see it. So, if the art speaks to you, by all means have a copy in your home.

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your opinions. I will be ordering really soon and am truly excited!