Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lookingonthebrightside

Back from Turkey and Greece Trip

texanjana
10 years ago

My friend and I had a wonderful time on our two week trip to Turkey and Greece. I even ended up buying a small rug in Kusadasi, which will arrive in 6-8 weeks. I took this pic at Lindos, Rhodes (Greece).

Comments (21)

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I'd love to hear more about your trip. Especially Turkey. My son and his girlfriend just moved there to teach English.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Breathtaking, Tex! Thanks for posting.

Can't wait to see the rug.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Wow, gorgeous picture! Did you go on your own or with a tour? If you went with a tour company, which one did you use?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Very beautiful picture. I'd love to see more.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

so gorgeous, I'm amazed !!

• redcurls
    10 years ago

My 17 year old granddaughter spent 2 weeks in Greece this past summer with five of her high school friends. One of the girls had grandparents who live there. Lucky girls! Airfare was high, but it was the only expense they had other than personal "stuff" they bought. It was her first ever trip away from home and she wants to go back!!!

• texanjana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My best friend and I went, two 50 year old women travelling alone. We spent the first 5 days in Istanbul, then boarded the Nautica for our week-long cruise with Oceania. We stopped in Lesvos, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Crete, Santorini, Mykonos and ended in Athens.

Some observations: The Turkish and Greek people are very friendly and helpful in general. My friend and I did feel somewhat uncomfortable at times in Turkey - the men like to stare. This is certainly not the first time I have encountered this on my travels, but it still was somewhat unsettling. My friend was also groped on the tram, which had not happened to either of us since our twenties in Italy. Both Istanbul and Athens are extremely crowded cities. Your money goes very far in Turkey, not nearly so far in Greece despite the economic woes in that country. I saw only one person with a visible tatoo in Turkey, very different from Austin where I live. My favorite place was Crete, which was unexpected.

Since this IS the Home Decorating forum, here is a pic of some of the tile in Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, where the sultans lived. Mine-boggling beauty of whole rooms with all different tiles, which my camera did not capture very well.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

What a fabulous trip. More photos, please!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Please, more photos and more details about your trip.
    Lynn

• texanjana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blue Mosque, Istanbul

• texanjana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interior of Blue Mosque

• texanjana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hagia Sofia, originally a Byzantine Church, converted to a mosque when Ottomans conquered. It is now a museum, and is absolutely breathtaking. All the Christian figures are mosaics made up of thousands of tiny pieces of glass.

• texanjana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic of Hagia Sofia

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

so lovely, seems like the trip of a lifetime, thanks for sharing your pictures !!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

double post

This post was edited by mitchdesj on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 6:10

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Oh, wow, how beautiful. Lucky you for making that trip. Thanks for sharing. Speaking for myself, but I bet others too, I'd be happy to see more pix.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Both magical buildings, no? I always thought that the hanging disks in the Hagia Sophia looked almost like advertisements. I assume they are designed to help repurpose it for a different religion, but still very curious. I wish I could read them!

And yes,I agree with HHIreno. Id love to see some more.

• texanjana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Harem, Topkapi Palace, Istanbul

• texanjana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greek Orthodox Church, Rhodes, Greece

• texanjana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crete, Greece