Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

speaking of shoe shopping

neetsiepie
9 years ago

I have this stupid disfiguring condition called lymphedema. Because of it, my feet and legs look like this.

Before LE i had normal feet & legs-also a high arch and instep. I wore stilettos, wedges, ankle straps...you name it. Now my choices are sneakers and Birkenstock clogs. I have to get shoes bigger than my foot size so they can accommodate my high (and very full) instep. I often wear mens shoes as they tend to be fuller at the top of the shoe.

So, that said...any recommendations for stylish shoes? They MUST have space at the vamp to expand. I have very little movement in my ankles, so i cant slip into something like a wide bootie. I do wear steel toe work boots when i go out to the field, they lace up so i van get my foot in. But I have a very difficult time getting rainboots on, due to the inability to flex my ankles.

I can wear up to a 1.5" heel, and im looking for shoes/boots for work and casual wear.

Any suggestions?

Comments (11)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Would it make sense to have shoes made for you? i can't imagine you finding something feminine enough in the men's section.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Clark's sells some mary janes that have an adjustable strap, although I am not sure they are "girly" enough. They sure are comfy.

I have a good friend with lymphedema. She recently went to Germany for a liposuction treatment and is thrilled with the result. I could put you in touch if you would like. She is a font of good info about the condition.

Here is a link that might be useful: How about these?

• voila
    9 years ago

Take a look at Clark's mentioned by dedtired above. They have these shoes for casual wear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clark's

• voila
    9 years ago

This is another Clark's shoe, and it's on sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clark's shoe

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ded. I have done a ton of research on it. Problem is that most medical professionals don't have a lot of experience with it (mine is congenital, not related to injury or cancer). And the treatments are worse than the condition!

I love all those Clarks shoes-but it looks like they may all be too tight at the top of my foot. Also the backs look high-that causes them to rub against my ankle. I either need really low in the back, or higher than my ankle. Good luck!

Ellendi, I've considered having shoes made-just not sure where to go. I know I'm never going to find cute shoes any more-that's pretty much a given, so I'm now just looking for COMFORTABLE that isn't orthopedic looking. Honestly, my most comfy shoes are my steel toe boots! They give me lots of support and they automatically make you walk differently than other types of shoes, so it mimics my lymphedema gait better.

You've all been a great help-I'll keep searching the Clarks site-maybe I'll luck in to something.

• doodledog_gw
    9 years ago

Have you looked into crocs? I think they have dressier styles now.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

I can recommend for a good brand of waterproof boots the brand La Canadienne. They are not cheap --but will last for several years making the cost of ownership about the same as typical boots.

The one I have linked to below comes in a wide width, and zips for getting on/off. Their boots are suede and soft. They are waterproof. Your feet will be dry.

Here is a link that might be useful: ankle boots

• doodledog_gw
    9 years ago

I just came across a company called Poppy Barley - no experience buying from them but they have custom fits and very cute shoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: shoes

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Have you seen the blog Barking Dog shoes? She reviews all sorts of shoes for people with problem feet (plantar fasciitis, bunions, etc). That might be a place to look for recommendations.

Good luck.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Pesky, several styles in the Paul Green line have an insert of elastic that allows for 'changing sizes', or swelling.

I have a somewhat dressy slight platform style in both brown and black that can easily be worn with nice pants or long skirt - my black pair have the 'give' all the way across the top of my foot where you show you have the fullness but I've had them a while, they aren't a new offering this Fall. Also have a short ankle high boot in black that accommodates swelling following years old hip surgery. The boots have an actual heel, and I really can wear them ;)

With me, it's the one foot, so the subtle stretch insert doesn't have me wearing two different sizes. I'm not sure if they'd work for you.

Here's a link so you can see what you think. Mine were Nordstrom purchase, you'll want to try on of course. If nothing in this line works, they may have another suggestion, have you asked a very experienced shoe clerk?

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Green

• User
    9 years ago

Has your doctor mentioned using a lymphedema pump?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida