Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Time for a Cane...Yay!!!

Faron79
9 years ago

Sounds weird, but I can use a cane now!!!
So...I guess I've "graduated" out of my walker.

The PT-Lady said yesterday that I was now walking very well, & tried a cane. Worked great!
So now I can be a good-looking, cane-wielding, middle-aged Viking dude!!
Over the last 3 days, it seems like the knee turned a corner. Started feeling stronger & more flexible. The "heel-slides" now are "just another exercise", instead of the dreaded, howl-inducing movement it used to be!!!

This Friday will be 2 weeks, and I get my 30 staples out!
* That first week....I first thought "Dear God, what have I done"?!??!
* Now...it's "Hey, this isn't very hard"!
* I'm just so surprised how fast it got better!
* My Surgeon must've known what he was doing after all...;-)

It's SO nice not hauling the damn walker around....

Faron

Comments (41)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Woohoo and yippee, Faron. That is wonderful news and even more so for you! Pretty soon you will be using the cane as a prop for your dance routine-picturing a heavy metal Gene Kelly! ;)

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

YAY Faron! I had an ACL surgery once and remember that same feeling. Glad you are on the upswing!

Beth

• bpath
    9 years ago

"Over the last 3 days, it seems like the knee turned a corner. "

Just remember, when you need to turn, walk around the turn, don't rotate on your foot or twist at the knee/ankle.

So glad to hear you're walking that road to recovery! Cane-wielding Viking dude, that's a great image!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So glad to hear your recovery is going so well...keep up the good work!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

It's better because you're working at it, plain and simple. Glad to hear there's progress and that you're in good spirits - keep going Viking dude!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

So very glad you have reached that milestone. I just know you will keep at it til all the pain, canes, etc are just vague memories and war stories! Go Viking Dude, go! (Yeah, turning those corners is harder than it looks after knee surgery. Ditto what bpathome home said!)

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks gang!
    (also glad I'm done with the 2xday Lovenox shots!)

Corners-
    Oh yeah...I watch how I turn for sure!!

Now I just gotta get some reindeer-leather vests, horned helmet, macho armbands, etc. Next...I s'pose some heavy old, knarly-lookin'/twisted branch of the right height. Then...pound in some old-school metal Viking axes, etc., for accents!!!

Faron

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Oh Brunhilde!!

:)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Whoohoo! Heavy metal indeed!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh...dear...God...LOL!!!!

She's HOT...;-)
    I DO like the big axe. That would be an AWESOME cane!!!! Might not be approved in airports though?! ;-)
    This is ME though....kinda....;-)
    (check the link...)

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

LoL!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Lifting all those 5 gal paint cans sure is a workout!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

wow, I think I'm in love! ;)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I know where you can get some of those horns....just sign up next year for one of the Warrior Dash 5k runs near you. Everyone who finishes gets a set.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Violet-
    With who....the pic of ME?!
    ;-)

Faron

• awm03
    9 years ago

He's leading the cheer:

"Far-on! Far-on! Far-on!"

Great news, buddy. Keep up the good work with the PT.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great Bison pic Awm!!

I'm impressed!!

PT#6 (3rd this week), today @ 2:30.
    Had my 30-ish staples out this am. It was with one of the main surgeons' understudies, and was actually doin' some repair work with the primary! He said "Yeah, your MCL (repaired way back in'78) was pretty beat up!" They moved & re-inforced this ligament with some webbing.

Also added for MCL-help-
    (from surgical notes)
    "FiberTape was woven through two 5.5 SwiveLocks at the origin of the MCL, & at the attachment of the MCL onto the Tibia. The free FiberWire sutures were used to advance the MCL both proximally & distally allowing good reconstitution of approriate soft-tissue balance."

Sooooo...I've got a beefed-up/relocated MCL, and additional "strapping" woven onto 2 plugs!

Faron

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh weird!

I found out what Swivelocks are. The brief surgical-notes excerpt that I posted right b4 this one, mentions these things. So...I have "Cords stretched between 2 plugs" that are bolstering my reinforced MCL!

If you'd like, the link shows a pic of Knee applications. Scroll down to page 6, & the lower-right pic must be my type of installation!

Here is a link that might be useful: Knee cables!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

My dad is looking forward to his surgery, he can barely move (esp. getting in/out of car, up from chair, etc.). He is doing his exercises. When I told him that you were glad to be up and around and using a cane now after 3 weeks he scoffed and said his dr had patients up out of bed the day of the surgery and walking the next day. I don't think he knows he's going to be using a walker and wishing he was allowed a wheelchair (and lots of pain meds) right after. The dr has told him that he's tough (my dad handles pain really well, he's had root canals w/o anesthesia b/c he's allergic to Novocaine) so he thinks this will be a breeze, he's in such pain now (and has been for a long time, not something quick like a RC he can muscle through) that he thinks "how much worse can it be?"

Only 2 weeks to go before his first surgery! I just hope he has the 2nd surgery - though that's the worse knee, he may want to wait longer than a month until the first is feeling better but I'm sure he'll go through with it, esp. since he wants to go to FL ASAP in the new year.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ajsmama-

* Well, yes...I was up walking later the same day (Fri. 9/26) too...with a walker!! It wouldn't have been possible otherwise!
    * It was a couple of short walks, but the "nerve-block" was still effective in the knee for a couple days.
    * Day 2 (Sat. 9/27) was more walking, including "shower trial", getting into a car, & "toilet-training"...;-)
    * Day 2 was longer excursions...walking down hallways, & stair-practices. Some exercises were started too.
    * Day 3 (Sun. 9/28). Repeat of #2. More exercises though!
    * HOME late Monday morning, 9/29!

Is he gonna have general-anesthesia, or a spinal with separate "knee nerve-block", like I did?

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I don't know what he's going to have, with his allergy, will have to ask.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes!!! Talk with his Dr.'s about the anesthesia-plan!! Write-down ?'s to ask!
    They may inquire about pain-mgmt afterwards, & your preferences. For ME...I didn't like using OXY-Codone. Was Rx'd it after my 9-2010 Hernia operation, & the 1st leg of my vein-removals in 11-2011. Just felt too weird on that stuff!

So, for 2nd leg procedure 2wks later, we used HYDRO-Codone. No weird side-effects from that! Using H-C for Knee-rehab now too. I'm down to maybe 2pills 3x/day now, instead of 2 every 4hrs.

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Will do - thanks for the tip on HC. Mom is the one managing dad's care, she's visiting my sister now but will be back before the surgery, I'm going to copy and paste your post into an email and send it to her.

Tuesday night when I mentioned your progress, my dad was skeptical about someone I "met" online. But DD pointed out a very good friend I "met" over on Harvest before I met IRL, and I reminded her about another Harvest friend we met in MA and exchanged canned goods with (I sent clearance pectin to her this year, she couldn't find it near Boston). I also trade seeds with people. Lots of nice people on GW. I don't plan on visiting Fargo though!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ajsmama-

Lol! I never thought about the "met someone online" angle!

So many of you out there have given ME good advice over the years...I've learned a lot. I only hope I can pay it back in some small way(s)...?!??!?!

I know he's in pain now, but does he realize that the 1st wk or 2 AFTER surgery will be a B*tch too??!?!

Dear Lord, as I've whined about here, some of those early stretches/exercises damn near had me HOWLING. I think I compressed some of my teeth together...;-)
    It MAY have been a little harder for me though, because of the "extra" MCL reinforcing/moving & cabling (Swivelocks) they had to do in mine.

BUT...if ya don't go thru it...you're REALLY gonna be screwed....

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Thanks Faron - I just posted on your "anniversary" thread. Yeah, he's gotta do something, shouldn't have waited this long (do they do shoulders too? He's falling apart).

He's going to be in the front downstairs bedroom during recovery, I have to get a grab bar (maybe 2? 1 for tub, 1 for toilet?) installed in the downstairs bath for him. Might be tough with tile, but I'll at least do the tub (vanity is close to toilet, might be close enough to grab?).

Anything else we need to do - 1 step up from driveway to stone stoop (3ftx3ft), 1 step up into house, should he be able to handle that with walker (next day?) or do we need to build a ramp?

I appreciate the advice you've given me over the years (though I didn't get around to putting a new coat of Sikkens on my fiberglass front door this year..).

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi AJS!

In MY downstairs bath (typical 9x6, with tub/shower across the short wall):
    * The commode is between the vanity & tub. It's close to vanity, so I just push up on it.
    * We mounted the tub pull-bar in the middle. So if seated on toilet, one could use the vanity AND/OR the tub-handle to pull up.
    * With his shoulder(s) though, he MAY need to use BOTH?
    * If you haven't got the famous toilet-riser yet...GET IT! Trust me on this...;-)
    * Does he have to step over into a tub? Are there swinging or sliding shower-doors? Each type will require a special technique! Maybe an additional handle too.
    * You'll also need a "Shower-chair". I didn't think I'd need it....
    * GET ONE...;-)
    * Your hospital should have a "Home-environment" to practice in. Ours had a large therapy area, types of shower-entries, toilet, an average kitchen...and 2/3 of a car too! Real-world practice there!
    * My therapy nurse helped us with techniques for my bathroom type. They'll make sure his walker-height is correct, etc.

STEPS/ETC.
    * They'll practice with him using walker-techniques for steps, etc. Usually it's just turning it sideways!
    * You won't need a ramp! Just smart use of the walker.

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I'm making a list:

1. Walker
    2. Grab bar(s)
    3. Toilet seat riser
    4. Shower chair
    5. Can't forget the ice machine!

I might be able to get some of these from his cousin, her dad died last year at age 100 and had a lot of these things, she might be using them herself though. I can also check with my town's medical equipment lending library, I won't tell them Dad lives in another town ;-)

I'll have to see if I can mount the grab bar under the window and over the tile, but it might be a stretch to reach from the toilet - I don't remember if the tile comes up on the side of the window. Oh well, if we have to drill into the tile, we will, I'll just have to get a ceramic drill bit.

I'm sending your last post to my mom via email - do you mind if we email you?

Thanks

Sheila

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

Sheila here is a good link that I think is relevant. Also your Dad should qualify for Home Health. I was an RN with and AL home health agency for 13 years. The PT will come to his home and assess all aspects and then will give his therapy in the home...ALL is covered by Medicare 100 %. He only needs the order to the agency from his MD...very simple and so much easier than outside therapy after he gets home. c

Here is a link that might be useful: grab bars...no studs needed

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Thanks - I did email Faron's list to Mom, she said they just told them he'd need walker and then cane (he has a cane and I guess they have a walker lined up). I'm pretty sure he's going to need grab bars, but that's something I can install fairly quickly - I'll check out the link.

EDIT: Checked it out, that looks great, I just have to convince Mom to let me drill a 1.5" hole (actually 2 of them) in her tile to install one! Moen will ship next day but if he's going to be in hospital only a couple of days (I haven't heard, I assume at least 1 night), it might be close.

My parents just have shower curtain, it's the original 1970's avocado green cast iron tub and tile all the way to the ceiling, and running about 36-42" high all the way around the bathroom (we pulled out the 8ft long vanity with single sink 16 years ago and put in a smaller one, there's a gap on either side of it but then tile picks up again where there was just a counter).

PT will come to the house. But he may not be having the first surgery - he scraped his knee and his jeans have been irritating it, I don't think it's infected but he couldn't even have his teeth cleaned last month b/c of possible bacteria getting into his bloodstream so surgeon wants to wait until it's healed. I guess that's why his knee was bothering so much Tuesday night - he didn't tell us. But he told Mom (she's visiting grandkids in CA), now he has to see surgeon Monday and will learn if surgery is on or if the scrape has to heal completely, wait a month (like he was supposed to have between a dentist visit and surgery) or what.

I asked if he could have both knees done in Nov but Mom said no, he'd be under too long? I know this surgeon doesn't like to do both at once, said some drs will do that b/c they know patient won't come back for 2nd.

Thanks for the advice - will keep you posted (and start my on thread instead of continuing to hijack Faron's!).

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 21:54

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Quite alright on the "hijacking"...;-)

* Fine to email me...just click my forum name.
    * Too bad about the knee scuff!
    * I knew I had to get dental-stuff out of the way b4 surgery, so got that taken care of in late Aug/Sept. From NOW ON though, I have to take an antibiotic b4 any dental procedure!
    * You can get assist-bars that just attach under the toilet-riser.
    * Check the Carex link below. There's all kinds of bathroom safety stuff there, listed under the category-type!
    * Does his bathtub have the "hose-handle" showerhead?

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Carex bath safety...

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Well, our dentist announced quite out of the blue that he was retiring, my dad had cleaning scheduled before he talked with surgeon, but since everyone was trying to get in before they had to go to new dentist, dad couldn't get in earlier. If I'd known, he could have taken DH's appt in August, but when I had to cancel (he was going to be hiking with DS that week), the dentist hadn't announced he was retiring yet, and Dad hadn't said anything about needing to get cleaning done ASAP.

No, mom took out the handshower but I can get one (even if I have to take it out of our house) installed in 5 minutes. He may have to take it down and then sit in the shower chair (they can get from Sr. Center) since it doesn't have the "peg" on it to put in the holder they still have on the tile, but it will work.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well that Dentist thing sure sucks!!
    Can he get worked into someone else?!?!?

There may be one of those 3M-Command-hooks that'll work.
    There are waterproof ones for bath/shower use. We've got a ton of them where I work.

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Yeah, the dentist was obviously planning this for a while w/o telling anyone, b/c he sent a letter after his retirement announcement saying he was transferring records to another office, and why he picked that practice to take care of his patients. I got a letter from them this month but haven't called to make appts for us and the kids (I don't even remember when we're all due, the office used to send us reminders to schedule appts if we didn't already have them but I bet the kids and I are due soon and of course DH is overdue but he also sees a periodontist so I don't worry about him getting behind, that dr will keep him in line, I don't schedule DH's appts).

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arrrgghh!
    I hope he can find something b4 surgery!

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Oh, no, that was the point, he couldn't have his teeth cleaned any closer to 1 month before. We still don't know if he's going to have it this week but he called me this AM to get copy of his DPA for Health (my mom) and Living Will (DNR). Of course he has talked to dr and told him or course to do CPR if heart stops on table (general), Living Will is only for brain damage but they wanted a copy of it. They didn't ask, but I made a copy of the DPA showing my mom can make decisions, there is a form she needs to fill out to invoke it for each case that it might be needed in.

He said it was his shin, he skinned it (through his jeans) getting out of truck, his GP saw it on Tuesday and it was inflamed (not infected - yet) and put antibiotic cream on it, wrapped it in gauze, so I don't know how it looks now, and when/if he will see surgeon before Wed. I hate for him to go to hospital and be turned away (after prep, there will be a charge) but Mom is coming home today so she will get him in to see tomorrow if needed.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gotcha on the Dental thing! That's too bad.
    Oh well...all he has to do is take an antibiotic or 2 b4 each dental visit.

I hope the knee can be a go!

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Just heard from Mom - surgery is on! Though she is still saying he won't need any bars in the bathroom (?). He is spending 1 night in the hospital will come home Thursday?!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very good news AJS!

He'll need a bar(s)! His tub is the step-over type you said?

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

The dr didn't say he'd need anything besides walker and cane, and mom bought 1 wrap-round chill pack (I suggested 2, so 1 could be in freezer while he's using the other, in case he finds he needs it more often than it can be refrozen). So that's what they're going by. She is spending the night in the hospital with him, he is supposed to be in 3 days (2 nights?) so we will see when he comes home what he needs. Hopefully the PT will ask about grab bars and do "toilet-training" as you called it with him.

It's very hard to tell my parents anything unless you are an *expert* (even then my dad will think he knows better, but my mom will listen and nag him). I've been recommending geothermal, or look into a mini-split heat pump for their house if they didn't want to dig/drill (they currently have 40+ yr old electric baseboards and Dad runs woodstove, but leaves Mom with kerosene space heater when he goes to FL for winter now). I have 2 degrees in electrical engineering and have geothermal in my own home. But they resisted, until my cousin's DH who does HVAC told them about this system they could install on a wall in their house, with just some simple piping and wiring to an outside unit, and it would heat/cool almost the entire downstairs (open floor plan). They had that installed this week (since Dad won't be able to tend the stove) - a mini-split heat pump! Though since it's supposed to get below freezing this weekend, and air-source heat pumps aren't as efficient, Dad will complain when he sees the bill for this winter. It might be lower than it usually is when Mom is home alone, but maybe not since he likes it really warm and she barely turns the heat on, uses the kerosene, and huddles in a blanket, she also tries to get out of the house and do more meetings (she's a consultant) in the winter.

I bet next year the heat pump is turned off and the woodstove is running again - though he loved waking up to 72 degree house the other morning.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmmm...I wish they could've seen my Dr.!
    * He's been Dr. & Consultant to a couple U.S. Olympic teams, etc.

He was so thorough, explaining everything well, etc. He has his patients stay 2 nights (3 days). I had to stay a 3rd, because I got briefly woozy from a muscle-relaxer!

I really like the "knee-cooler" we got from the hospital! Quick & easy to use. They just said take it with you! I know it'll be buried in the billing somewhere...lol!

I would inquire about what "In-Hospital" PT/OT they will do. I have nothing but good to say about mine!

>>>> Another item He'll need....a "Leg-lift" strap/loop! I'd consider this mandatory for lifting the foot/leg into bed, the car, etc. Needed mine A LOT the 1st couple weeks.
    >>>> Also....get a decent grabber-device for pulling on socks, or pushing them off, picking up things, etc.

I'm glad our house (built 1996) has GFA-heat (Gas-forced-air) & Central-A/C. Also a Gas F/P & Water-htr. Flick a wall-switch, & poof!...there's the fire! This is FARGO after all...we take our Heating, cooling, & insulation SERIOUSLY here! We can go from -30F to 100+...in the same calendar year....

How are the other preps going?
    Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: My knee-cooler!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Just got a call from Mom - they were at the hospital at 10:30AM for surgery this afternoon - no go b/c the scrape is infected. Gave him Rx for oral AB, I don't know why he didn't do that last week, but now he has to wait at least 3 weeks (and his 2nd surgery was scheduled for 11/19 so I guess they'll keep that date), no word on when he can get 2nd knee done but I'm assuming 3-4 weeks after that IF it's not too close to holidays, else it will be in New Year.

Your dr/hospital sounded awesome - I wish we had someone like that here (even Boston or NY wouldn't be too bad as long as he had a PT here).

I'll keep you posted.