Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

What's up with all the expensive Polyester rant!

jterrilynn
9 years ago

Well it's that time of year again where we will all be looking for holiday festivity dresses or outfits. But oh the frustration!!! So, I have been browsing through the online discount racks like Gilt and others and came across this dress, it's a Chloe for $2,000 and it's 100% polyester. What??? Polyester for $2,000!? I cannot believe the prices on some of these dresses for polyester. Actually I don't hate polyester for all occasions as a poly blend makes a good travel outfit but still...sheesh! I look every day and have only bought one thing and that's a silk sheath dress. Now that I am older I just don't look good in cheap fabrics.
Is it me?

Comments (22)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I don't buy many new clothes these days, but I'm shocked at the prices. It seems like the average price for a nice outfit is $1,000+. If I were a smaller size, I would be heading to the vintage and consignment clothing stores.

• camlan
    9 years ago

I always check the fabric content before I buy anything. Recently, it seems like there is almost nothing but polyester.

Polyester all by itself, blended with nylon (yeah, that sounds nice and cool for summer--seems like that was all I could find for summer), blended with rayon. Every so often, I could find a cotton/poly blend. Finding 100% cotton was impossible in the stores, but I could find some online.

And if it wasn't polyester, it was nylon. One of the most heat retentive fabrics we have, blended into summer clothing. All those maxi-dresses that were 100% nylon.

Looking for a few new tops to wear to work. Nearly everything that looks like cotton is actually polyester/rayon or polyester/nylon.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Camlan & Fun, oh I know about the cotton! I have been trying to find cotton sleep wear that doesnâÂÂt look like a granny suit for a few years now with no luck. Since I hate clothes shopping I think IâÂÂll stick with the black silk v neck sleeveless sheath dress that I bought and add stuff to make it look different. I normally canâÂÂt buy dresses without altering because IâÂÂm bigger on the top and smaller on the bottom so nothing fits right. The dress hasnâÂÂt arrived yet so hopefully itâÂÂs as flowy as it looked online because I'm big on comfort. IâÂÂm in Florida and the polyester heat trap does not work at all in this climate. Just the scarves or covers to change the look are over $300 and IâÂÂm not doing that either but I know I can find something similar for less.

Think anyone will notice if I change the look of the same dress with something like this (but cheaper)? The dress I bought looks like this but without the sheer bit at bottom.

• User
    9 years ago

No help with the dress situation, but Garnet Hill has Eileen a Fisher pajamas and robes and that is all I have for nightwear. They are comfortable and cool, and 100% cotton.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for that Kswl! I ordered the Eileen Fisher Trim-Detail Gown in cocoa. My husband will be thankful as well, the state of my sleepwear is embarrassing as I could not find cotton without ghastly large flowers or big ruffles or high necks with long sleeves.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I agree with all the above. I don't like clingy fabrics and I always feel like I have to peel away polyester.

What I am looking for is a pair of 100% cotton jeans. I don;t want jeans that have spandex or whatever in them. Unfortunately I seem to be in the minority in that.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I usually look at the label when buying sweaters or tops. I I can move some synthetic blends.
    It is so difficult buying formal wear that I just get what fits the best. If there is no wool, I'm good to go!
    Remember when you could buy a really nice silk dress?

This post was edited by ellendi on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 15:13

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hahaha! Yep, I da chit!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blfenton, wow I did a quick search and even the organic sites have a blend in their jeans. I only found one pair of 100% cotton jeans but they were odd looking.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

jterrilynn, I don't think most people will notice that you are wearing the same dress that has been accessorized differently, especially one that is as classic as the black silk you posted.

I've been buying Eileen West all-cotton nightgowns for years. The brand also makes a knit sleepwear line so you have to be sure that the description says woven cotton.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Bf, I am with you on the jeans. Don't understand the added spandex at all!

I found some 100% cotton online at The All American Clothing Company. Really well made. Look like the old Levi's from the 60s.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Fun, I needed some confirmation!

Call out to scarf people: What brand of scarves should I look at that look expensive but are not? I donâÂÂt want to spend more than $100 on a scarf. Or, besides looking a 2 billion scarves on etsy is there a site that sells high-end used scarves? IâÂÂm not proud. Also, I want something not too big and maybe a little chiffon looking and flow-y. My plan for the scarf is to maybe attach somewhere one of my vintage gem pins and wear a simple pair of nude heals that I already have (for one outfit idea).

• Edie
    9 years ago

Wasn't that the whole point of a Little Black Dress? That you can wear it over and over, with different accessories to change the look if desired?

My suggestion is to check your local consignment or thrift store(s). If you don't find something on your first visit, check again in a week or two, because new items come in daily. In my area the consignment store buys and prices scarves by brand, and the thrift store prices by amount of fabric. Typically between $2-$10 depending on the scarf and the store. At that price I take the risk of hand washing. Haven't ruined one yet. I've read that Woolite is now designed for synthetics, so I use Ecover for delicates, which is Woolmark approved.

I go by look and feel rather than brand name. You already know how to recognize quality. With practice, you can also learn to recognize silk and cashmere by touch. Choose what you find beautiful and accept that the brand or designer may be a mystery forever. And you can and should wear used items with pride. Listen to Macklemore if you haven't heard the "Thrift Shop" song yet.

• RocksAndRoses
    9 years ago

The price of cotton went up the past few years due to lower yields in India and the Mid East. The same brands are much more expensive and much lower quality.

I am a natural fiber snob. I am so glad that I can design, sew and knit my own clothes! I also love vintage pieces.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Edie, Immm gonna pop some cash⦠got twenty dollaâÂÂs in my poc-ket Lol. I had never heard the Macklemore thrift shop song till just now! Went to Youtube and now itâÂÂs stuck in my head.

I may just go a thriften this week!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hit Etsy after all as I donâÂÂt have time to travel around to a zillion places to find what I want. Etsy has lots of great stuff there in a reasonable price range. I saw some really beautiful hand painted scarves but most were bigger than I wanted (the one on the right I liked but too big). I ended up buying the one on the upper left as I had a cool vintage pin I could wear with it and some nude heels I already have. Hopefully I wonâÂÂt look too Auntie Mameâ¦Darling! I also bought the plain silk/chiffon scarf on bottom left and plan to wear it flowing over one shoulder with a cool pin (havenâÂÂt decided which yet) and black heels that I already have. Think IâÂÂll squeeze one more outfit out of this black dress with something a bit more colorful or texture-y and colored heels. Shoes first of course as we all know how elusive the 2â heel is.

• camlan
    9 years ago

Another good place for scarves, the next time you need one, is the clearance rack at Nordstrom's. They get some unique things that are beautiful.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Camlan, it looks like IâÂÂm going to have to hit the mall and will check out NordstromâÂÂs sale rack. Although I despise mall shopping I do love Norstrums and jokingly told my husband that when I die I want my ashes spread there lol. I got an email from the autumn scarf gal that my scarf will not make it to me in time for my first venture with the black dressâ¦a wedding. So, IâÂÂm going the colorful route on my next purchase as in a colorful scarf for black dress that has a tic of black in it. However, as mentioned above IâÂÂll first have to terrorize myself looking for the 2â heeled shoe (there seems to be less than 10 on planet earth). Grrr!

• camlan
    9 years ago

Check out the shoes at Nordstrom's, too. I checked on-line and they have a few, plus more only available on-line.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1.5 inch heel shoe

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Camlan! I like those shoes. However, I think IâÂÂm going to go blue next. This is my inspiration but the Emilio Pucci scarf and Stuart Weitzman shoes (with the perfect 2â heel) are not in my budget so IâÂÂll be looking for something close. Or, I just discovered a sight that sells used Emilio (love) scarves for $200 less, itâÂÂs called TheRealReal authenticated luxury consignment online. Sadly I built my blue color scheme around one of my favorite blue vintage brooches but when I got it out a stone was missing so IâÂÂll have to replace that. Vintage pins are sort of my trademark. I may end up splurging on the shoes because they are a classic cut that I could wear for a long time. It will be hard to push buy though so that will only happen as a last resort.

• Susan Bell
    8 years ago

I refuse to buy clothing made from polyester. Overpriced and doesn't breath. (Sweating is my part time job) NO thank you.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH