Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justgotabme

My second Organizing Your Closet artical was posted.

justgotabme
10 years ago

This one's shorter, but hopefully informative.
Next week's article will be on how to plan and build a custom closet with sheet lumber.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organizing Your Closet.

Comments (10)

• hhireno
    10 years ago

If that's your closet, you certainly stick to wearing earth tones. :-)

How did you get the gig to write for the site?

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Congratulations! It 's a great article with good solid advice. I've been hanging my clothing in a very similar way for a couple of years now, and love the practicality of it. Wish I'd read an article like yours 20 years ago! I know that your advice is probably helping a lot of people that way.
    Lynn

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes that is my closet hhireno and yes, I do stick to wearing earth tones. I'm a redhead/auburn with the complexion and freckles that go with it so earth tones work best for me.

I got an offer to write for HomeSpot out of the blue via Hometalk. I'd been a member there for about six months when I was asked to one of their following five. They liked the comments I made and things I clipped so in hopes of getting new members to see the best of their site, which is similar to Pinterest with conversation, they asked five (which turned into seven) members to allow all new members to follow us. The Content Manager (Tyler) of HomeSpot's Blog is also a member of Hometalk and noticed my interaction with their members and how knowledgeable I was with many areas of DIY and other things to do with the home. When he was in NYC a couple months ago he arranged to meet up with Hometalk's Community Coordinator (Miriam) and they talked about me. Miriam agreed to contact me and see what my thoughts were on writing for HomeSpot. I said I wasn't a writer, but agreed to allow her to give my contact info to Tyler. He and I communicated via email and phone. He had a trip planned to Omaha, to visit his wives family so we met up to talk about it in person. If HomeSpot is happy with me and I with them, they'd like to bring me on as a partner. Crazy huh?

I am enjoying the writing, but getting things ready for the pictures or to draw pictures is very time consuming, to say the least. My first to articles are doing quite well stat-wise according to Google tracker. I must be doing something right. My first one ranked #2 out of all articles posted in the first 23 days of October and it was #1 in time spent on each page. Those things are big in getting a website to move to the top of a search page.

As for the site itself, it has a home tracker where you can keep track of every room and the outside of your home project by project, including maintenance reminders. I've only just started using it and am very impressed. You can even write a supply list for each project so you don't forget what you need. Once I get get ahead on writing my articles I'm going to write up each room of our home. I've done this before in a notebook, but am liking the idea of having it accessible from the web, though still private, without having to drag my notebook everywhere.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Lynn! I appreciate your comments. I've been organizing my closet like this since I was ten and moved into my sisters room when she went away to college. Though the room itself was rarely tidy, I had two beds so one was always covered with something, my closet and drawers were super neat. Ha ha ha. My Mom could never understand that split personality. She learned from an Ann Lander's column to comment on what was neat in a child's room, even it was only the ceiling. Good ole' Ann!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

LOL -- only the ceiling. Wish I'd had that line for my kids. I thought I would have to stand in the door and throw them into bed because their room was so cluttered with junk on the floor.

Do you ever find that things just sort of naturally fall into the proper place in the closet? I do keep things in categories, but for some reason 3/4 sleeve shirts are not next to the rest of the shirts. I can't say why, but that works for me.

My closet is a sea of black, white, gray and earth tones. I rarely wear bright colors.

Another thing I do is take the empty hanger when I wear something and put all the "empties" together. Then when it is time to do the laundry, I can grab them and have them handy when things come out of the dryer. I use a pipe in the basement to hang things as I do the laundry. I put them in their category while hanging from the pipe and it makes it easier to put them in the right spot in the closet.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dedtired I know, wasn't Ann Landers a hoot!? I have a feeling my Mom ran up the stairs to my room to tell me that as soon as she read it. Gosh I miss my Mom!
    I'm not sure what you mean about naturally falling into place. If you mean that it's natural for me, then yes it does. I find it's not so natural for my hubby though he's learning. It was easier for our children since they grew up with their clothes organized from the get go.
    I wonder why in your mind you separate your 3/4 length shirts from the rest. I find that very interesting.
    The hanger thing is something new to me. I never thought of doing that until I wrote the article. Many of my empty hangers wind up in our master bath because that's were I change after my morning shower. Our laundry room is just kitty corner from the master suite so even when I do forget it's not a big deal. Not so at our last home as it was in the basement. We had a rule where the kids took their hamper and hangers to the basement the day before I my scheduled day to do their laundry. They both started doing their own laundry once they started 5th grade.
    I too put clean clothing in order when hanging them out of the dryer in the laundry room. It makes so much sense.

• springroz
    10 years ago

Thanks!! Great article. I went to the purge article, and beside tip #1 should be a reminder to women --DO the clothing "try on" phase right AFTER your period!!

I may FEEL like doing it before--at my house this is called a "hormone-induced cleaning frenzy" , but there would be NOTHING left in the closet, and I would be dissolved in tears!!

Nancy

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're welcome Nancy. Thank you for your complement and your comments. Too funny. I never gave that a thought as I'm past that "period" in my life. LOL You've got me picturing a bloated woman trying on and tossing all her clothes out the window. The heck with boxes for the thrift store!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Great Job and article !! I like how your hangers all face the same way : what do you use for pants ?

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you mitchdesj. I actually use clip hangers that come with pants from retail stores. I haven't found any you can purchase that I like better. Certainly not the price! LOL

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH