Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Silly questions about boots!

jterrilynn
10 years ago

Hi all, I will be heading north for a funeral most likely in the next month or two (or less). Being that I live in Florida and do not normally travel in non-summer weather I'm an idiot when it comes to boots. I like them though. All my pants are ankle pants and I do not want to buy new ones. They are snug ankle pants but not skin tight skinny pants. Fall boots are what I'm looking at and would like something black chic/classic with a 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" heal, something that could be dressed up or worn with nice jeans. So, here's where I'm stumped, I wanted an ankle boot but am having a hard time finding a visual with ankle pants. Do people wear ankle boots with ankle pants? Do I let some leg show? Do I make sure the shaft is taller than the end of the pants? Do I have to tuck the pants in? Most all the online fashion boot pictures show boots with skirts and dresses and very few pants unless they are knee boots.

Talk to me like a two year old and tell me how to wear boots (not knee boots).

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 17:43

Comments (9)

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now I know what I was doing wrong in my google image search. I should have put Booties and ankle pants. Now I'm seeing some visuals...just don't know how old they are.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 19:36

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Do a google search on "how to wear ankle boots" and you will get a lot of images. Unless you are tall or long legged, I think they look better with skirts. But then again that depends on the boot. You can also match your hose to the boot for a longer leg line. I have short boots that I wear under pants, but mine are straight legged so the pants go over the boot top and hang long covering most of the boot.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I think it's a great look. You need to make sure the top of the boot comes just under the skinny part of your ankle and the pants are just a little above so just a "peek" of the ankle is showing.

This is a casual look so you might want to rethink for a funeral.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Annie & Kelly, IâÂÂm not tall but I am long legged. I think IâÂÂm getting a handle on it for someone my age. Certainly not those second skin skinny pants, mine are a slim (skims the body) straight leg crop with a very very slight tapper. For my age âÂÂnotâ the high heel but something around the 2 to 2 ýâ height! Also, I should keep the ankle boot or bootie simple and classic (not a bunch of stuff on it and not clunky). I have seen a few examples where a nice longer cardigan and white shirt or other looks nice along with a necklace. I have some things to go with for layering to accomplish that look and could also utilize many of my shirts with a cardigan or three and my black cape. Recently I had a modest-ish few cooper highlights put in my hair along with a shoulder length layered bob and choppy bangs so I can get away with a bit of an edge / simple chic look (I hope). I donâÂÂt want to have to buy too much stuff.
    For the funeral I will not be wearing the boot, although the area IâÂÂm going to in Michigan it would be fine as long as I wore black hose under my black pants so leg would not show in the gap. I will not be the least bit surprised to see people at the funeral in jeansâ¦I hope not, but it would not surprise me.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I wore booties like pictured below all last winter with slim fitting pants, trouser style pants, dresses and skirts.
    I (and my husband) liked them so much that I bought a second pair for when they wear out.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those are cute Terriks! Stylish toe, not too pointy but just right! Some detail but not too much. The heel looks good but I cannot tell the height. WhatâÂÂs the brand?

Oh boy, it just dawned on me tonight that I did something incredible stupid when I sold the house. In order to get all my clothes and husbands clothes in the closet at sons house (we are staying here till we find a house to buy) I packed most of our colder weather clothes and put them in one of the two large storage lockers. I have no idea where they are in the storage lockers. So, now IâÂÂm going to have buy some cardigans as wellâ¦a new black purseâ¦and???

ItâÂÂs a sad time which is causing me to lose focus on some basics I need especially now that I have to buy more stuff. I always get a bit wigged on my concentration when feeling stressed.

Some of you may remember me posting about my aunt with seven inoperable brain tumors. That was I think 2 years and close to six months ago. We sort of grew up together as she is only four years older. Things are not looking good. She is in the hospital now and her husband is waiting to get some direction from their main doctor. She went well past her life expectancy and up till recently kept up with her social life. She did not have much use of one side of her body ( wheelchair) but never lost her sharp mind. I just spoke to her last week and she said she was holding her own. Since then one of the tumors moved and she is going downhill pretty fast as far as pain, communication and movement goes. She can still respond a tiny bit though and seems to recognize people. ItâÂÂs all so sad even though we have all known that there would not be a happy ending.

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

Also look on the You Look Fab site-everyone on there wears ankle booties, and they post loads of their photos. They wear them with everything from skirts with bare legs( a look I do not like) to jeans and pants of all kinds.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for that Ms Thrifty! I have been in search all morning for the elusive camel colored cardigan. I found one I really liked on Jcrew but of course itâÂÂs on back order. If I had unlimited funds shopping would be so easy peasy. With the click of a button IâÂÂd be done.

Love these Pronenza Schouler shoes and the height at 2 ü heel is perfect.

Love this Marc by Marc Jacobs satchel.

Love these cardigans.

LOVE this Derek Lam cape $$$$$$$

I sorta like this boot for its simplicity but would like the wedge a tic higher and the boot shaft a tic lower. No matter anyway because this particular Stuart Weitzman boot is of course over my price range.

Anyway, IâÂÂm off to the discount stores to seek better prices on my inspirations above.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just in case there are any clueless to boots people like me lurking, I thought I would share my bootie shopping experience. What I found is that I am more of a shootie instead of a bootie person. I wore my slim but not skinny ankle pants shopping and my ankles look like a sprig of weed sticking out of the bootie top. Plus on me it looked stupid to wear non-skinny (second skin type) pants with them. All the tops were HUGE for my thin ankles. So, similar to what Terriks posted above I decided on a shootie which is like a bootie but with low or next to no shaft. I actually spent the day in the mall which I hate only to find that the selections with a 2 to 2 1/2 inch heel are slim to none. NordstromâÂÂs had the largest selection of foot wear in that heel height but everything I liked was over $500.
    In the end I ordered these Jolie Trotters because they have excellent reviews, are sort of classic looking and they are amazingly inexpensive. Glad this is over! These will look great with my new black satchel.

Ohh â¦IâÂÂm signed up on lastcall .com and got a promotion rate of $143 on this Cashmere Neiman Marcus blazer above. This Florida resident is getting some fall basics.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 14:56

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz