Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_green_thumb

??? For Those of You Who Make Quiche

no_green_thumb
10 years ago

I have planned my baby shower menu. Quiche is going to be the main dish.
I am making one bacon/cheddar, two artichoke and two spinach.
I was planning to make them a day ahead, but after doing significant research, I will make the crusts and the fillings the day ahead and fill and bake them in the morning.
Good plan??
Everything I have read is warning about soggy crusts, so that is why I think I need to do them that day.
My ????

1. Do you make your own crusts or buy the refrigerated ones? If you make your own, do you use butter? I have seen recipes with butter, crisco, olive oil - all with varying reviews.
  2. Do you prebake the crust? I have read that if you prebake for about ten minutes (again many varying times and temperatures), take it out of the oven and brush with egg whites, then bake again for 5 minutes, the filling will not penetrate and the crust will not become soggy.
  3. Do you chill the crust before baking??

Maybe I am way over-thinking this, but every recipe I have read tells something else. Thanks a lot. The shower is Sunday and I need to start food shopping!!

Comments (10)

• User
    10 years ago

I do use butter and I use buttermilk for the liquid. The acid in the buttermilk makes a very tender and flaky crust. I also shape crust, brush with Dijon mustard and prebake partially. I then put in the cheese first so it will seal the crust and then pour in the filling. Also bake it on the bottom rack in a glass pan and start it hotter and turn the heat back and you won't have soggy crust. Good Luck and have a wonderful time. c

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

If you are not confidant with the crust, the Pillsbury refrigerated ones that you unfold are quite good. When you prebake, you need to line the pie shell with aluminum foil then fill with uncooked beans. This will hold the crust up and in place. The beans may be kept in a jar for years and used as pie weights.
    If you do want to make a homemade crust, the Cooks Illustrated recipe using vodka is very easy to use, but if you are careful to keep everything very cold while handling, the traditional 1/2 butter and 1/2 Crisco is also good.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I do make a homemade butter crust, and I do prebake with a wash of egg and dijon.

All that said, the last few times I have made them crustless. Most people would rather eat light, and quiches are pretty rich no matter what. I serve them with a nice crusty bread for people who are missing it.

Just a thought.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Sometimes for me quiche takes longer than expected. I don't know why just does. So give yourself enough time. I always use pillsbury pie crusts.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Just a caution on using a recipe with vodka as an ingredient-unless you know everyone very well, it is best not to use alcohol in recipes where it would be unexpected as would be the case with a pie crust. My DH is in recovery and you would be surprised at how many people go to AA. It is often those you would least expect and contrary to popular opinion, the alcohol does not completely disappear with cooking. It might also be something the mother-to-be would want to avoid even though the amount in a pie crust would be minimal. For an alcoholic, however, even that tiny amount could be problematic.

As to the pie crust, my mother always used Crisco and so did I when I made pies. Now, I buy pre-made. Lazy.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of the tips. Trail, I think my mother used to put vinegar in her pie crusts. Of course, she used to make them with lard. They were the best! Flaky and tender.
    Thanks for the votes on Pillsbury. I just need to see how my time is going by Friday. I would like to make my own.
    Cyn, I appreciate the comment on the alcohol. I always thought alcohol cooked off. I do not believe I have any people coming that that would affect, but you never know!
    I plan to pre-bake on Saturday evening, have all ingredients prepped, then bake on Sunday morning. Guests are arriving at 11:30. Thanks again.

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

I love quiche, but have moved from quiche to strata's, which can be made ahead and baked right before the event.
    However, I still do make quiche on occasion. To answer your questions:
    I make my own crust with Crisco (rolled out with a covered rolling pin on a pie crust mat).
    I do not pre-bake
    I do not chill the dough

You certainly can make your quiche ahead and reheat. Set the oven to 350 for 30 minutes.

Now, if you're interested in strata, it's a win-win! You make it the night before the occasion, then bake right before you serve it. During the night the bread soaks up the eggs and you end up with an incredibly flavorful, and super easy (!) dish.

We have a carmalized French toast strata that is our standing Christmas morning breakfast, served with champagne mimosa's and fresh fruit.

Check out www.allrecipes.com and search for stratas. They are so varied and lend themselves to easy entertaining.

Have fun with this!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Mtn, by crustless, do you mean you are making frittatas? I do. They are my go-to for brunches. Soooo darned easy, though not especially low calorie, with mayo, eggs, cheese and whatever veggies, i.e. mild chiles for mex version, asparagus, bell peppers, etc for lighter. No worries re. Soggy crusts, and can be made the morning of, or night before.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I always use the Marie Callender deep dish pie crusts, but they'e become more difficult to find. I do pre-bake.

I also use co-jack cheese, rather than all cheddar in hopes it will be a few less calories. One of my favorite quiche is Salmon with Asparagus and Swiss cheese, absolutely wonderful!

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for your helpful advice. The shower was a wonderful success.
    I did make quiche - 6 of them ---2 each of spinach/feta, artichoke/swiss and bacon/cheddar. To my surprise, the bacon/cheddar was the first to go, followed by artichoke, then spinach. I thought it would have been the other way around. Anyway, I had way more than enough and after most of the people left, some were going back for "seconds". Even the guys who came over later enjoyed it. My sister made five different breads, I had a fruit tray and roasted potatoes with green, red and yellow peppers and sliced ham.
    For dessert we had a large assortment of finger pastries!!
    It was all wonderful.
    For the quiche ---- I ended up using Pillsbury as I knew I would be in a time crunch. It unrolls so nicely and is quite thin. I pre-baked the crusts late on Saturday night. I covered them with foil, put in weights, baked them for 10 minutes at 375, then uncovered them, brushed on an egg white/dijon wash and baked for another 5 minutes. I prepped all of the fillings on Saturday. Sunday morning, I beat the eggs, half&half, added the fillings and baked. It was so easy. By noon they were cooled, but just slightly warm ---- thought I would share my success. Thanks again for all of the insight.