Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Dentist "babies"

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Like SueB, I am kind of a baby. Actually, not about having babies (3 "natural", come to think of it) but DEFINITELY about dental work!

I am seeing a new dentist. I had one I liked in NJ, but since moving here I tried one and didn't care for him. So I will see someone new in about 10 days.

So, for those of you are babies, i saw some mentions in SueB's post, but what should I ask for?

Comments (23)

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

What did you get at the dental office you liked?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A free decoder ring.

Nothing, really, I just liked this guy better. I would get novacaine, like anyone else, for things other than a cleaning.

But now that I know other people get some good stuff, well ....

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

At the risk of coming across as a druggie ( since I've recommended it before), I think Xanax can act as not only an on-site soother, but a behavior modifier as well. I'm somewhat claustrophobic. My flights are usually full, and I dread the idea of a tarmac delay, so I usually took my little low dose after boarding. After numerous years of this, I now rarely feel the need.
    So, I suggest Xanax to relax you and help you lose your dental phobia. Be sure to get a ride to and from until you see how it effects you. Good luck!

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

Judging from what I've learned from DH, you want someone who listens to your concerns and addresses them. He has had many, many patients over the years who were "phobic" but ended up being excellent patients who didn't need anything more than the traditional injections for anesthesia. But if other methods are needed, he'll go that route. Basically you want a good communicator, someone who instills confidence in them and in you, who addresses your questions and concerns calmly and thoroughly, who gives you all the time you need.

Oh, and if he/she recommends a boatload of work to be done, head for the hills. (IOW, get a second opinion!). You'll be fine!

• User
    10 years ago

Not sure I can be of much help as I've never minded going to the dentist, but the best dentist I've ever gone to is the one I have now. The dentist and the whole office are female so it's like a gab fest instead of a dental visit.

• chispa
    10 years ago

But you can't talk when you are at the dentist!!!

My dentist is ok, but he always brings up his worries with some old fillings I have. Sorry, if it ain't broke I'm not messing with it. I have TMJ, which has been trouble/pain free for a while and I'm not about to aggravate it with non-emergency dental work.

• User
    10 years ago

Ha ha ha! Sure you can. You just have to talk fast when you get the chance. And besides that lady dentists can read your expression very well.

I have TMJ too. Wish I could say I was pain free, but I'm doing so much better since I started wearing my mouth piece again. I don't know why, but every once in awhile I stop wearing it. I don't plan on doing that again. Ever!

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Have you tried the nitrous? I actually look forward to having dental work done! I am not kidding.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm curious, does anyone else have trouble with nitrous? It makes me very nervous and out of control feeling, but everyone I know says they love the stuff!

• chispa
    10 years ago

Everyone reacts differently. If it is distressing you more than helping you, then I would look for an alternative.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I, too, was a dentist "baby" for years because of an unfortunate treatment by a dentist when I was a child. Finally, after years of torture about going, I decided to try a woman dentist and found the experience so much better (for me). I realized some of my anxiety was having a strange man in such close proximity - personal space violation. Then I realized I was sensitive to the novocaine, which always gave me a racing heart and high anxiety - so now I ask for no epinephrin in my shots, which is much better.

I eventually got so comfortable at the dentist that I truly could fall asleep in the chair now.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Oh hello, I knew you had to be talking about me when I saw the title of your post. I am the worst dental phobe. Is that a term? It should be. For me, the key is that my dentist (who I actually love, as much I could love anyone who drills my teeth) never pushes me to do any treatment that isn't absolutely necessary. For example, probably 18 months ago (i.e., 3 cleanings ago) he told me it was time to replace big, old filling with a crown. He showed me the x-rays and explained exactly why it had to be done. But then he said, "when you're ready." Well, here we are 18 months later and I finally just made the appointment. But I know that if it were an emergency (like when I had an abcess and needed a root canal), he wouldn't say "...whenever you're ready."

And yes, I love him because he gives me good drugs because he knows, and I know, that if he didn't, I'd just stay home and let my teeth rot in my head.
    By the way, a huge part of the problem for me is the sound of the drill. I mean, seriously, when are they going to make a soundless drill? or one that plays a happy tune?

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Just - I have had nitrous a few times, years ago. I did not like it. It also gave me a headache. I get a bit nervous at times, but we have a wonderful dentist - actually a husband/wife team and I see the woman. I have seen the husband though and would not hesitate to see him if needed. The woman has done two root canals on me with no problems whatsoever. Both done with just novacaine. I am one of those who has trouble with numbing, and I think that is why I get nervous. My dentist has on my chart now to give me 2 shots of a certain drug. So actually I'm not sure what I get.

Chispa - the problem with old fillings - particularly large ones - is they often crack. Ask me how I know. My dentist is very good about waiting till she feels the need to replace, but when she suggests it, I do it within the next few months. I have one right now that she is still watching.

I think because my grandmother got dentures at a very young age and ALWAYS told me to "take care of my teeth", I have a fear - not really fear - but certainly do not want to lose my teeth - or even a tooth. I also don't want any going bad and perhaps abscessing, etc. That is the greater fear to me.

tina

• User
    10 years ago

Chispa that makes sense. Like anything else can be good for one and not for another. My dentist is also good about not doing anything that's not necessary, but good about watching for signs of distress. My teeth were pretty good until after I was hospitalized for 8 days a couple different times, appendix then cellulitis, both needed massive amounts of antibiotics. My teeth took a beating and I had to have allot of work done.
    Thanks TinaM61. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one that it makes nervous. I'll stick with Novocaine. I too often need more, just in the front of my mouth. My dentist numbs the gums with a pin Q-tip before giving the shots so it's no problem. No other dentist ever did that awesome little trick. Sure makes the need much easier to handle.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Just - I will say that the dentist certainly makes a difference. I am so thankful for the care we get from our husband/wife team. We left for a short time (we got dental insurance) and it was a nightmare. I had a crown put on (which is really not a biggie), but the dentist gave me so much novocaine that I needed oxygen and had to be driven home. SCARY. Later I found out the crown was not done properly and I had to have it replaced. He did, at least, refund my money. We went back to our original dentists, and now do not have dental insurance (ours doesn't cover our dentists). I will not leave this group again.

ps - they also do the q tip trick.

tina

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

My mother loves nitrous. She has it even for a cleaning and she really does need it. She enjoys it.

After she and my sister raved about it, I went ahead and had it once. Honestly, it did nothing for me. It did help with the pain somewhat but for me I did not feel the benefit was worth the extra expense. Some dentists also gouge on the price of it. There was one that I left who charged $50 for every 15 minutes worth, found a different dentist after that. Nitrous has been a wonderful aid when my autistic son goes to get work done so it just depends.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, okay.

I don't think I have ever had a novacaine shot that did not start with a numbing agent. Yikes, scare me why dontcha?

So it looks like one choice is to go get a prescription for Xanax. Not sure I if I want to do that, I have never used anything like that. OTOH, if it gets me to have less dental anxiety ...

Seems like I should ask about nitrous. It might just take the edge off.

Thanks, all

• User
    10 years ago

Mtn, just tell them up front you want the numbing agent first. I'm old enough that it may be that all dentist do it now, but I when I was younger I remember that part scaring the heck out of me because I knew it was going to initially hurt like crazy. Now I don't even feel the needle going in at all. And everyone at my office knows to warn me so I don't even see the needle.

TishTosh, I had it put on my chart after the first time I had Nitrous that I was never to have it again, but dang if they didn't do it one time anyway when I was having more work done. I think mine is more about a control issue than anything else. I hate not having control and the la la land that most feel from it made me feel out of control.
    So MTN, if you are not a control freak Nitrous may be the way to go.

• natesgram
    10 years ago

I grew up with a dentist who didn't use novacaine because I hated needles. I endured the pain, sound, and smell. Fast forward many years of not seeing the dentist until I really needed one. I went in telling him I was a baby and he said he was used to them. The rapor with him was great. I now take a small dose of Xanax, have nitrous, and wear headphones while I watch tv. I have been known to fall alseep during proceedures and I even use the above for teeth cleaning. I do like the nitrous but at times feel out of control and then they will dial it back lower. Good luck from one baby to another.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh yes, I was going to mention wearing headphones and listening to soothing music.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I'm not making fun of anyone - but nitrous for teeth cleaning?

Natesgram's response made me thing - I know in our area we have a couple of dentists who advertise as being for those who have a fear of dentists. Maybe you could look and see if they have a dentist like that in your area - someone who really caters those with a dentist fear/phobia. I have heard really good things about one here in our area.

I don't like the shots but as mentioned with the pre-deadening, I rarely feel them. I do tense a bit, but know after that I will feel no pain. Dental work today shouldn't hurt (unless you do not have a numbing agent - my dad will do a filling without novocaine). My dentist takes great care in keeping me comfortable - even has pillows for the neck, etc. So I would just be frank and discuss your concerns with the dentist and from there. Interview the dentists! LOL

• roobear
    10 years ago

I'm sort of a dentist wimp, it's not that I feel a lot of pain but more ticklish sensitivity that can cause me to move, so my dentist usually prescribes one Valium pill to take about an hour before any procedure. Then I make sure I'm slightly numbed and they use the Dentalvibe for the novacane shots so they are completely pain free and I'm more relaxed. Relaxing music with my headphones takes care of any unpleasant sounds from drilling or cleaning.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Hmm.. I go for cleaning every 6 months. My dentist only uses something on a qtip to numb. He loves to talk about stocks and technology trends etc. I open my mouth wide, and in a bit we are done. I rise out my mouth and brush my teeth in the little bathroom, pick up my little kit of toothpaste, toothbrush and floss, smile at the receptionist, add the next appt date in my calendar and we are done for another six months. I have never ever felt pain in the dentist's office. OB Gyn- that's another story..

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH