Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancybee_2010

woman will give out notes stating you are obese for Halloween se

nancybee_2010
10 years ago

Wow! Have you read about this? In North Dakota, a woman has stated she will give out notes to children who she thinks are obese. The notes inform them that they are obese and that they and their parents need to do something about it. I think it is really rude. Of course there is a problem with children and obesity, but imo this will solve nothing, and could cause hurt feelings. Couldn't she just give a healthy treat, or turn out her lights and close her door.

Comments (30)

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Indeed, she should close her door and shut up, it's not the time to humiliate children when they are out having funâ¦..

The problem has to be addressed of course, but not on Halloween day and not by her stating to someone that they are obese, as if they don't know, duhâ¦.

• User
    10 years ago

Sounds like a hateful woman to me. Sad really.

• jrueter
    10 years ago

I read about this today. They showed the note. She goes so far as to tell the parents that they need to step up and start being better parents! IMHO that is way over the line for a stranger! give out healthy treats or non-candy treats or don't give out candy. (I know lots of people who have non-candy options like stickers, pencils, spider rings... to give to kids with allergies.)

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

If I was her I would be worried about the 'trick' part of trick or treat. Especially since she went on the radio with her plan.

A note that should be given to the woman in return...

âÂÂArrogance is a creature. It does not have senses.
    It has only a sharp tongue and the pointing finger.âÂÂ

~Toba Beta

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

That's just plain rude. If she's so worried about it then I agree, give our something healthy or give nothing at all and keep her mouth shut. Sounds to me like she just wants her fifteen minutes of fame or she'd have not contacted a radio station and just did this.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

And I don't think obesity is caused by Halloween candy. The pressure to deny normal things can cause a backlash of desire and unhealthy habits. If a kid's obese, they probably aren't active enough, or have an unbalanced diet in some way. And so many "chubby" kids grow up to be completely normal sized.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

What a nut and attention seeker. How could she possibly think that this would help or change anyone? If she's really concerned, is she involved with any programs to help kids get exercise or eat better?

Edited to correct an iPad typo.

This post was edited by hhireno on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 8:45

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

This is horrible and I hope the folks in her town avoid her house so she will have egg on her face...which she may just end up getting one way or another. But really, where are all these fat kids? I'm out in the world, there are kids on my block...I just don't see an "epidemic" and I live in a heavily populated, culturally diverse area. Lots of kids get chubby around 10/11---2 of mine did, boy and girl---and then when hormones kick in they slim down. When they talk about epidemic are they just talking about this age group when kids have a tendency to get chunky? I just don't see obese kids everywhere I go.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I don't have anything constructive to say about that woman. She's just flat rude and condescending.

I DO see obese kids where I live. My drive to work takes me past 3 school zones, and we live about 6 blocks from an elementary school. I see some kids that are positively huge-it's heart breaking. The parents, too, are very unhealthy looking. I mean, there is a difference in being a big person who is able to walk and be active, and to be big and riding around in the electric carts at the store!

Passing out these horrible notes is not going to make some parent stop and go-oh, she's right, my kid is fat and I shouldn't let them have this candy. No, it's gonna take a village again-reinstituting PE in schools, cutting out the carbs and white foods in the school lunch programs. And the parents themselves need to eat better! You don't see healthy, fit parents with obese kids.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

This story is everywhere, Local, State, National news. T/T is tonight. How did the news get the story? Something is fishy. Sounds like a Halloween prank to me--and a lot of people who know better got caught in it!!

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Hopefully the psychologist where able to help her see
    that no good will come from a note one day a year .
    And isn't this really a case of bullying ???
    As far as the "village" comment~
    Well, the village just found it's idiot.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

She has all but asked for her house to be a huge Halloween target.
    Very strange way of thinking.
    I wonder how things will look for her tomorrow.

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

I hope some adult throws a whole lot of rotten tomatoes on her house--after the kids go to bed of course.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It's astonishingly ignorant to assume that kids -- or anyone -- is obese because they eat Halloween candy.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Arcy~ The woman called a radio station talk show with her plans to pass out the letter-
    She then sent a copy of the letter to the station.
    From there the internet ran with it (went viral).

Here is a link that might be useful: The radio phone call is here...

• blfenton
    10 years ago

It isn't my job, or hers, to police other people's children and their diets. She should just not take part in Hallowe'en.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Sounds like a person that just wants attention on herself rather than actually care about the issue.

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

I don't care for righteous people...stay away, kids...stay far far away!!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Nut bag.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

What a holier than thou, hateful person. She needs to adopt the philosophy my parents taught me - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Ah the Thumper Rule. That's what I was taught too gibby3000.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

I THINK this Woman lives in Fargo?!??!

I only agree with her on a VERY small scale. I think in a "misplaced" kind of manner, she DOES care about the runaway obesity problem in the U.S.
    Bad way to show it???....YES!!!

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Fargo news station story...

• golddust
    10 years ago

She is doing more harm than good.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

Does anyone know if she actually handed out notes? Did she actually intend to hand out the notes, or was her goal to draw attention to the issue by causing indignation? If so, she achieved it.

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good question. Well, she had her 15 minutes of fame. But why would you want that if everyone ends up hating you? I suppose a small part of it really was to make people aware of the problem, but I think we're already aware!

• User
    10 years ago

I think this is pretty funny. Ridiculous, but funny. Maybe it was her way of keeping trick or treaters away from her house this year. It's better than turning off all the lights and hiding in the dark, I guess.

As children we complained about the neighbors who handed out apples. I think that whole razor-blades-in-apples thing was started by kids who were sick of getting fruit on Halloween :-) IMO, the people who gave out Snickers were always The Best Neighbors Ever. Always.

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 11:15

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Last night I had a flatbed trailer, fashioned into a hayride, stop at my house. There must have been 20 kids on that thing with several adults supervising.

Each adult had a flashlight, one posted at the tailgate, one in the middle of my yard and one at the front porch. They released the kids in groups of three or four and once one group was half way they let the next group go so it was a nice stream of little ghouls and goblins.

Anyway, as a set of kids were running back to the trailer, one of the kids yelled to the next bunch coming up, "She's giving handfuls!!" Those kids started sprinting up to me!

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Awwww, that is so sweet!

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Turns out it was a prank the radio station pulled.

Last year, this same radio station pulled a prank where a woman called in to the station, talking about the need to move deer crossing signs so the deer would cross at intersections where there would be less likelihood of a crash with a vehicle.

Now that's funny!

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree, the deer prank is funny. This one just isn't! It's dumb and rude, imo. Are any of you laughing?