Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Rude people

neetsiepie
11 years ago

I just got back from a trip to a store that allows dogs. I often bring one of my dogs to that store because a) they're well behaved, b) they enjoy alone time with me, and c) the dogs really enjoy interacting with people who want to pet them. I always have my dog under control and walking directly at my side and they're never allowed to approach someone.

Today, an older man and his wife were in the same aisle and he said something snarky to his wife about me & my dog-just loud enough for me to hear. He wasn't the only one, another man did the same thing to his companion as they passed by me. I was pretty ticked off but I didn't say anything.

It just gets me that people are so freaking RUDE! DH said they probably wouldn't have said anything to a man-and I suspect he's right. I just feel like I should have said something, but I didn't want to get in a confrontation with a jackass. He's entitled to his opinion, but his rudeness was uncalled for. Then I got to thinking his comment was very misogynistic and I got even madder.

I'm so upset-it's a non-issue really, but I'm mad! I need to come up with a good snappy come back when I hear this stuff. I get it all the time with my job...a woman doing a 'man's job', but that seems different. I've got a thick skin, but when it's personal-that really gets me!

Comments (132)

• graywings123
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Magglepuss - you say you posted your Republican primary/Sarah Palin comment "on this site." But did you post it on the Home Decorating Conversations forum - or somewhere else on Gardenweb?

It's odd that a post got that heated, was deleted, then then three more threads appeared and were deleted, and no one can else can recall this happening. I'm sure this occurred, but I'm wondering whether possibly it occurred on another forum.

• User
    11 years ago

I remember seeing something about that.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I think we need to remember that this is a forum of strangers. Yes, it sometimes feels like we know each other, but we really don't.
    I would not take anything too persoanlly or too seriously from people that I really don't know.
    I am not sure why anyone would want to be rude to anyone. But in cases of this forum, you can ignore it and the person would never even know that you saw it. Unlike in real life!

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Back to the dog in the store.If store policy allows pets, and if you want to bring Pup, then do it. And let Mr. grumpy guss say what he wants. Life is too short to let minor things like that bother you.

Marlene- absolutely love your response about the boarding pass!
    Faron, we take Cooper and Bailey everywhere dogs are permitted, IF we think it will be a good experience for them. which narrows it down to pet friendly outdoor festivals which are unlikely to be very crowded.Many dog owners know very little about how dogs interact with each other so we avoid the pet store.
    Faron, of course we will visit your store if the occasion arises! in our area dogs are not allowed in restaurants, but are allowed in outside areas.I believe the Black Dog Saloon downtown allows dogs inside- no food is served.
    As for differing political opinions, many times how the opinion is expressed is what I find to be rude,not the opinion itself.

• magglepuss
    11 years ago

Graywings The original thread was on the conversation side. The subject was the republican primaries. I posted that I was going to vote for Newt, but, I really wish SP had gotten in the race. Honestly, that was it. There were some snarky/rude comments to me about SP, and I did respond, but that was not the problem.

When I got up in the morning, the thread was pulled. I contacted the mods and asked them why? They alluded (sp) to the fact that someone had asked for it to be pulled. This was surprising to me, I don't see many threads pulled.

A few hours later another thread was started with the subject line Qwerty. The OP was one of those who had written snarky comments to me the night before. When I opened it, there were posts like IBITZ. Then someone re-typed my post from the night before. I posted an example of the responses above. By now it's clear I am being mocked, I contacted the mods and asked them to remove the thread, and they did.

Then a second post was started. Again with a strange subject line. I honestly can't give you specifics on the thread, but basically the same as the Qwerty thread. Again, the mods pulled it.

Then a 3rd thread was started. This is all within about 4-5 hours. This one was commenting that the poster (one of the same group of people) felt like Garden web was like communist China or Russia with no rights to free speech. It was pulled.

I hope that clear it up.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

2 nights ago, we ate at Lemongrass, a thai place in Boca; we were seated at the covered patio and 2 tables had their dog with them, and both had their dog sitting on a chair, in Europe the dogs sit at the feet of their owners, under the table. At first , they barked at each other but later on were quiet. I wasn't bothered by it , DH and I love dogs but I was surprised to see them seated and it reminded me of this thread.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link, Bestyears. I've shared on FB. So far, I haven't deleted anyone, but two are on my maybe list. ;)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Actually Sunny, I didn't. Interesting that you call out a very mild reply I made on another board, but say nothing about instigators in this topic. Why the free pass? Seems like some people are just fair game because they have absolutely no feelings at all.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

It's never okay to be rude but sometimes it's provoked. I don't remember the threads Magglepuss is referring to and we can only take her word for how it all went down since they were pulled. However, out of curiosity I did a google search of her screen name (sometimes even pulled threads will come up) and did not find the threads in question but did find her posting some pretty inflammatory stuff on other forums. I would even go so far as to say rude posts even.

I fear Magglepuss might be an agenda troll.

• User
    11 years ago

Oak, Regardless of what's taking place here, you have to at least own up to your own faux paux's. You know that comment in the other topic wasn't called for and there were lots of other people with similar sentiments. You not only singled out one person but you addressed her by name in your reply. When I read it I remember thinking, wow, that was uncalled for. I know there is a history there, but your comment was unprovoked. If you're going to call fowl on others and expect them to own up, then you should live by your own principals.

• magglepuss
    11 years ago

kellyeng

Man you got me. I love to decorate and I am a Conservative!

I must be a troll on this forum.

• magglepuss
    11 years ago

Oakley, I'm so sorry these women have decided to come after you. They had no comments with your posts until you defended me. I am Conservative kryptonite.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm not sure why anyone's political or religious views need to be brought up on the decorating forum. Liberal, conservative, whatever.
    The results are always what is expected and contribute nothing to the discussion of decorating or even, here on the discussions side, to harmony among us.
    We do have a hot topics forum for those who want to discuss such things and elsewhere on the internet, rabid conversations may be easily found. I say go there if anyone needs to wave their colors.
    I will say, however, I am not a doormat and if need to, will certainly stand up for what I believe in here, but see no need to provoke or initiate such discussions in these forums.

• lakeaffect
    11 years ago

Well, magglepuss, you proved kellyeng right, you *are* an agenda troll, and your post proves it. Keep on posting, we'll keep calling you on it.

sandyponder

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Good heavens, Magglepuss!

Agenda troll indeed!

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

magglepuss, please, you are making the rest of us Conservatives look bad! Let it rest!

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

Magglepuss; how long ago was the post you're talking about?

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I remember the posts she references. She's not making any of that up. I do, however, feel that she's very likely got a skewed idea of what really transpired, given how she has popped up out of the blue and directed this thread in a completely unnecessary direction, and also stated, "I'm so sorry these women have decided to come after you" - when all that occurred was that an inconsistency was pointed out.

It's all a bit Drama Queen if you ask me.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

Huh? Sorry, but I got curious, so I googled "Magglepuss" myself. Let's just say that I find those views very, very...no, I'll refrain; let's just say totally off-base, but why "agenda troll"? I never saw the disussion here you're all referring to, but you said it was about politics. magglepuss had a right to express his/her views. Whether there was rudeness - I couldn't say. I do think if you're going to post online, giving all the world a chance to reply to you, you need a thick skin. I don't understand the agenda troll comment though.

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

I have personally never seen Magglepuss' posts she is talking about, but if she is considered an Agenda Troll, there are posters on this board I see much more often than Magglepuss start those kinds of posts, and people just go along and never say anything about that person(s) being an Agenda Troll, but I sure see it.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Luk, I was only replying to a very subtle (and constant) volley taken at me. And I'm in the wrong? Don't think so.

Although I certaintly don't understand why it's okay for people to call each other derogatory names here & never be called on it. Never did understand that.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Oak, you know I like you and I have no interest in getting "on the wrong side" of you, but I do have to ask - who volleyed at you in the thread on "geese with bows"?

• User
    11 years ago

Almost every single thing Oakleyok says gets insulted by another poster here in a somewhat subtle way. I'm surprised it's not more obvious to people.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Oh, goodness. Maybe it's time for the proverbial group hug, and we just move on to discussing things that matter.

Like that hunky Felix Baumgartner. ;-)

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Personally, I'm still in love with Paul McCartney, but Felix is pretty cool.

• User
    11 years ago

Oak, we can agree to disagree, no problem and really, I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just trying to make a point. The last few months, I haven't seen the "vollying" and arguments that used to take place all the time and it was really nice. There's nothing wrong with having different tastes and there's no need to take it personal when someone's taste is completely opposite of yours. And I do know from personal experience that sometimes you'll take something as a subtle dig that wasn't even said with you in thought. I just wish that we could learn to let the past be the past and move on beyond it. There is no benefit in holding a grudge (which you and I have talked about before) and continually keeping the rounds of digs going. After years of it, don't you think it's time that we all rise above it and try to get along better? Even if what you're saying is true, why not be the one to set the new example?

Magglepuss, I don't know if you're a troll or not and really don't care, however, I do think your choice of topic would be better received in the Hot Topics forum. You would probably even enjoy the engagement of conversation there a lot more because politics is that forums primary focus.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

...a place for everthing and verthing in its place....

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Allison, I can't believe what was said to your daughter. I think SC is right-- probably mental illness. Or ignorance, which is also an illness, right? :)

Polly, I love long hair on boys. My nephews (7 and 2) often have their hair long and it's so cute. I am glad you ignore the rude comments. I am the same about avoiding eye contact when out. I would rather not have a discussion w/anyone when I need to be watching my kids, and don't want to hear anything negative. Like fourkids said, don't people get that most children CAN hear???

RE: Sarah Palin . . .you know, I am a Democrat, but I would love to meet her. I watched her Alaska show a few times and I was impressed. I don't agree with her views at all and wouldn't want her in charge of things, but I think she would be fun to hang out with. I am amazed by some of the things she knows how to do, her self-discipline, etc.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

PS I also do not get why people try to insult Obama by calling him a Muslim. Even if he IS (which he clearly is not), so WHAT? I didn't know you had to be Christian to be president. I also didn't know that all Muslims were horrible, just like all Christians are not.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Anele, you don't understand this because you are a normal person. The people calling Obama a Muslim are crazy people. Once they decide something in their minds, they are incapable of changing their opinion. Facts do not influence them. And for some of them, it's a racial thing, hiding as a religious issue.

At this point in our country, you don't have to be Christian to be President, but you have to be Christian to be elected President. Look at the suspicions some people have about the LDS church, even though it has the words J.C. in its name.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

I still want to know what kind of store Pesky took her dog to.....

ML. (graywings is correct, crazy people out there)

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Thank you, Anele! And yes ... what Graywings said is so very true. I truly try to separate my feelings for a person from their political/religious beliefs - but if someone starts in on the rabid "Oh, HORRORS -- Obama is a Muslim!" schtick, I can't help but categorize them as incredibly stupid/gullible and a whole host of other things that I probably shouldn't say here.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Graywings and anele, I wholeheartedly agree with your posts. It seems to me that the behavior you describe is at the very least skating on the edge of bullying. We expect children to stand up to bullies, yet in adult life, we don't always. It wouldn't be okay for a group of children at school to say the things to another student that are routinely said about President Obama. Can you imagine a playground or classroom where people just ALLOWED another child to say, as if it were a terrible insult, "Miriam's a MUSLIM! She can't be Class President!!!" But in our adult world, we don't call it out in for bullying when it happens -we (and I include myself in this 'we'), ignore it, roll our eyes, etc. But we don't call it out as bullying. Isn't it though?

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whew...what a boiling pot THIS turned in to!

The store was Home Depot...they allow (and encourage dogs by having dog treats on hand).

As to the whole political schtick...yes...those with VEHEMENT lie filled posts are nuts. My brother recently, purposely, posted some nasty comments on a FB post I put up. He then continued to spew lies straight out of the Rush Limbaugh Handbook (nearly verbatim, I might add). I tell you, he's nuts. He will not accept the truth if it bit him on the nose, prefers to continue to live in his fantasy world of hate radio. As I said, he's nuts.

• nicole__
    11 years ago

If it's NOT a pet store...it shouldn't have pets in it.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Nicole, that's absurd. Have you *heard* of dogs for the handicapped, and their dog usually goes everywhere with them, even restaurants.

And speaking of restaurants, in France, as well as other countries, a dog is very acceptable in a restaurant, and not only for those with disabilities.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I find people who spit far more disgusting than animals in home depot. There is one HD near me where men seem to store up huge lung full globs of slimy goo to splat out somewhere in my vicinity when exiting into the parking lot. They are oblivious that anyone else is around. Didn't their momma teach them not to spit? Anyway that's another topic, I love animals and my doctor even has a little yorkie in his office. He has a sign at the door that says dogs allowed but children must remain on a leash. Sorry but I love his sense of humor.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

My Mom told us the perfect line to use when someone says a rude thing to you. "DID YOU ENJOY SAYING THAT? BECAUSE I DIDN'T ENJOY HEARING IT" Say it loud she said and that makes the other party feel foolish.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Ooooh, I completely agree with jterrilynn! What is it with men who feel the need to hork out nasty phlegm onto the pavement - in public, no less? I knew a guy years ago who, every single time he got out of his car, would do that throaty "khhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa" thing and then spit. When he was finally called on it, he wasn't even aware that he was doing it! Can you imagine? Delving a bit deeper, he realized that it's something his father had done for years, and he was simply repeating the same behavior that he had witnessed from childhood. What a disgusting habit though. And there's no excuse for it!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I know sunny...so gross! I almost gaged writing about it and almost gaged again reading your description lol. What makes these people think they can hurl body excrement in pubic? Sheesh, why not a bowel movement or public urination while they are at it. People can be far ickier than dogs. I stopped going to a popular restaurant for almost a year because there was a man sitting across the aisle from me that did not cover his mouth as he was coughing up a green slim lung and sneezing goobers all over everyone's food. I left my whole meal there. I would have been happier if a dog was sitting across from me.

• User
    11 years ago

Hate it when men spit too, it is gross and I actually saw a woman doing it today, yuk! Another thing I really find repulsive is when men have no problem grabbing their crotch in public, ewe.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

At the top of gross things men do in public! I was walking out of the grocery store the other day, behind a young man, and he spat on the sidewalk. I almost walked in it and it nearly made me grab him by the ear and shout mannerly profundities at him.
    What IS it with people?
    So true Jerri!!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I think spiting should be against the law. How do I know what people had in their mouth that day or what germs they may harbor? Some of the thick partials could get on my person. If they think they are going to die if they don't forcefully excrete the phlegm they should use a hanky or tissue.

Lukk, can you believe I have never seen a woman spit? That is past gross!

I guess this is a little off topic to the original but I did have a point and that is I would rather be around a fury (maybe a little dirty) canine than a discussing bad mannered human.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ohhhh GACK!! Spitting....shudder. I do not understand why males do that. Women just don't do it, so unless there is a biological issue that causes men to make more mucous than women, there is no reason for it.

I keep a tissue with me when I feel the urge to rid my nasal or throat passages, and I DISCRETELY use it. Only one time have I ever had to spit, and that was when I was in a forested area and I had no tissue with me. I was ALONE and I felt guilty and disgusted doing it, too!

My DH does it only occasionally, and I came unglued when I caught DS doing it recently. UGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Yes, I'd rather be kissed by a dog on my face than witness another man spit in public.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Just checking in to say how much I love this group. This thread is proof that we do not need moderating. We are the epitome of moderates!

• User
    11 years ago

I know!!! I could not believe it!! She was walking with another woman and she didn't even flinch when her friend did that, like it was normal. Crazy gross.

• Happyladi
    11 years ago

I was wondering if the store was Home Depot or Lowes since both allow pets.

I was never a dog lover(nor was I a dog hater) until I ended up with a dog less then 2 years ago. Now I just love my dog very much and yes, I do take him to Home Depot and Lowes. He's weighs just 13 pounds and rides in the cart. I've never had anyone say anything rude, though.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Happyladi, your little dog is probably much better behaved than a lot of children I've observed running like wild banshees through the aisles at Home Depot and Lowes.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

So true, Sunny. I wish I could take my dogs to Lowes, but one would lift his leg on everything and the other one would be so hyper excited with jumping, straining and panting that it wouldn't be the best for her heart.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

My dog is definitely better 'managed' than a lot of kids i've seen acting up! He may get a little busy trying to lick everyone, but at least I can keep him controlled on a leash.