Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bestyears_gw

Just back from Michigan!

bestyears
9 years ago

So guess what -we just returned from 5 days in the Sleeping Bear Dunes area. Un-be-liev-able. Truly, truly gorgeous, and exactly what I was hoping for on every level.

We rented a little house in Empire, and explored as far north as Harbor Springs, as far south as Frankfort, and as far east as Traverse City. Spent time in Elk Rapids, Charlevoix, Glen Arbor, Leland, Petoskey -and traveled through many more towns. I can't even list all the lakes we visited, but off the top of my head: Torch, Elk, Glen, Long lake (in Traverse Co. and the other one), Intermediate Lake, Lake Charlevoix, Lake Walloon, Crooked Lake, Pickeral Lake, Duck Lake, Green Lake, Platte Lake, Crystal Lake, etc.

I think my favorite town or village was Elk Rapids, perhaps because the library is exquisite!!!

So I think if we end up in Michigan, that will be the area. There is no doubt in my mind that we'd be happy there. No hesitation there.

Thanks so much to everyone for the great tips and encouragement.

Comments (20)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Glad you enjoyed it. Can you link your other thread to refresh our memories? Looks like you are planning to move there or second home?

A few years ago we were in Charlevoix and I thought it was quite pretty.

I think the winters there could be daunting though.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oops, sorry, I should have done that....

So yes, we are considering living there in the summers. Definitely not in the winter!

Here is a link that might be useful: original thread

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Now I remember...thanks for the link. Summers in Michigan sound heavenly.....hope you find a great place!

• Jamie
    9 years ago

"So I think if we end up in Michigan, that will be the area."

If you don't end up in Michigan, would it be because of the long drive for your relatives? Just curious. I never can figure out what, besides natural beauty, would drive me to relocate.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No it isn't because of the long drive. There are a few issues which concern me....

1. There is a LOT of real estate for sale in Michigan, particularly second/vacation homes, so I'm worried that the bottom hasn't been reached in terms of price yet, and would be reluctant to buy now because of that.

2. Properties are taking a long time to sell (see point 1), which also concerns me. We'd be tying up a fair amount of cash, and it may take two years to undo if we decided to sell at some point.

3. We're hopeful that our lake house would become a vacation destination for our adult children and future grandchildren. This part of Michigan makes sense because it's in the middle of the country, and close to a great airport (Traverse City). But I'm a little worried that we are premature in making this move with regards to our adult children. The oldest is just completing his master's degree this year, and could end up anywhere from SF to NYC or somewhere in-between. Youngest is just a college freshman. So while the middle of the country might make sense, if they both ended up in NYC, it would be much nicer to have a summer place in the Hudson River Valley for example, and see them more frequently. If we have a place we can't easily sell for a few years, that creates a problem.

A lot to think about... We will rent next summer either way, so we have time and space to sit with this a bit. Just like anything I guess.... always looks more complex the closer you look.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry -duplicate post.

This post was edited by bestyears on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 22:26

• Jamie
    9 years ago

Complex is right. Sounds like you're starting early, which is good and gives you lots of informed options. I have moved often, but I am living where I live now sort of by default. It meets the basic requirements but isn't a dream destination because I never got beyond the practical musts. That's why I'm so interested in your process. That, and I like Michigan. But I dream about the west coast.

Real estate that turns over too slowly is scary, I agree. But the rental prices on Homeway and VRBO for the good lake homes in high season remain very high, fwiw.

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

I am sitting in TC as I type. Visiting from down state for a couple of days. So glad you enjoyed the area. It truly is a slice of heaven in the summer. Edited to add....it's so very gorgeous in the fall, too! ;)

This post was edited by kimberlyrkb on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 10:45

• jay06
    9 years ago

I've been watching the vacation home prices up there for many years, having owned and sold a Platte Lake cottage in the 1990s, and then buying and selling one on a very small lake near Green Lake between 2009 and 2013.

I would say that the prices bottomed out around 2010 and have risen since then, so I don't think they'll generally go lower than they are now (depending on the place, of course). It's been typical for all the years I've been keeping track that lots of places are on the market, so I don't think that's a sign that prices will be falling. It's just a very popular place for investing, renting, etc., as well as establishing longtime vacations homes.

Glad you enjoyed it up there! It's my favorite place, ever.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks jboling for that perspective. It seems to be an issue at some lakes more than others. Houghton Lake (I think that's the name) for example, seems to have been hit very hard, with more than 500 homes for sale.

kimberly -we loved TC! Had a fabulous lunch at the TC Pie Company. I think the TCV airport is my favorite of any airport I've ever visited. Very warm and homey inside, and so easy to access.

How I wouldn't love to be back in Michigan today...

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Maybe you could buy a lot on the water while you are thinking about it all? I'm not sure but I think you can buy lots on Bass Lake for $70-ish? I thought prices were going up not down in that area.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We would definitely consider building, although since we've never done it AND aren't from the area to know firsthand the reputations of various builders, it's a tad intimidating. One of the many great things about Michigan is that there is waterfront land for sale at reasonable prices.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

IâÂÂll check with a friend of mine up there whose father was a building contractor/developer with a great reputation. She (my friend) is retired already but probably has some names. IâÂÂll get back.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks jterrilynn!

• Jules
    9 years ago

So glad you enjoyed your visit to our paradise!

I agree with jboling on her overall summary of market conditions. We certainly have an abundance of lakes and rivers in this region, so there is simply a ton waterfront from which to choose. But as you saw, each area has its own identity and flavor.

Did you try Siren Hall in Elk Rapids? One of my favorites. Knowing you liked that city helps me get an idea of what feel you're after. We know architects and builders in the Grand Traverse area if it comes to that. Feel free to email me.

Good luck with your rental search.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Darn, we missed Siren Hall! We had a delicious breakfast at the Harbor Cafe in Elk Rapids. We are big seafood lovers so we would have enjoyed Siren Hall. Next trip!

Thanks for the offer of help if we decide to build as well.

I'm going to try to do some reading about the waterfront market there and see what the experts think. It does seem, from studying Zillow charts, that most property has fallen pretty far in the last five years, so there shouldn't be much further to fall...

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

We were there at the same time, Bestyears! DH & I just got back yesterday evening from my beautiful home state of Michigan. Nine days with family and old friends. I hope that things work out for you in finding the perfect lake home. Personally, I'd move back there in a heartbeat, although for me, it would need to be around the Lake St. Clair area, Richmond or Armada near my family. Keep us all posted, will you?
    Lynn

• bestyears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Lynn (I'm another Lynn!),
    I can hear the pride and love for Michigan through your post, and now I understand why. I'm still missing it.... I discovered American Spoon while we were there, and just had some Blueberry Spoon fruit over vanilla ice-cream. Mmmm...! Just one more thing to love about the area.

If we can work out the logistics (pet care, etc.), we'd like to spend a month there next summer -perhaps two weeks at one lake, and two weeks at another. I'll most definitely keep you posted. GW was a lot of help to me in making this a successful trip.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

. . . and Michigan cherries, too! I always have to pick up some jam, syrup or something cherries when I'm back there. This time it was Michigan Cherry Jam from Blake's Cider Mill.
    Lynn

• bestyears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi again Lynn, of course! I got some cherry marmalade from American Spoon too. And my husband got dark chcolate covered cherries!