Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

I'm At The Most Amazing Place!!!

lynninnewmexico
10 years ago

DH and I are staying at The Gaylord Texan Resort on Lake Grapevine just north of Dallas and I am blown away by this place! It has a HUGE atrium where many of the over 1000 rooms open out onto . . . including ours. It's completely enclosed and climate controlled. Right now I'm sitting out on the balcony of our fifth floor room overlooking many shops, cafes, a waterfall, fountains, a small "river", trees, etc. It's amazing that this entire space is totally enclosed in a glass atrium! They say things are bigger in Texas and that statement sure fits this place! It was chilly outside, I hear, yesterday, but I was totally comfortable having lunch "outside" under that orange cafe umbrella at the cantina in the pic below. Last night we had dinner at a wonderful steak place here and then wandered around until we came to a pub with a huge "outdoor" tv screen where we had a drink while we watched the end of the Tigers and Red Sox game. All the trunks of the trees are wrapped with tiny blue lights and it was so pretty - and pleasant- to stroll around out there. I've stayed at a lot of nice resorts in my life, but this one blows me away and I thought you all might like to see a couple pics I took of it just from my balcony here.
BTW, I took them with my new iPad and still have no idea how to crop, etc. with it. I hope they transfer ok.
Lynn

Comments (23)

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My view looking in the other direction.

• msrose
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pictures! Would you believe I live close by, but I've never been in there.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi there MsRose! You really need to see this place if you are close to it. I hope that no one here is thinking that I'm bragging because I am staying here on this trip. That's totally not my intent. I'm just blown away that so much - so many hotel rooms, shops, restaurants, people, trees, etc. could all be under some kind of huge glass dome/atrium. In a way, it seems very futuristic. Like a whole town existing inside a giant glass bubble. But regardless, it is amazing to be inside of it and experience the immensity of it all. And, it's very pretty in here,as well.
    Lynn

• teacats
    10 years ago

Lovely pics! :) I'be had dinner at the big restaurant there -- can't think of the name -- but the martinis were divine! :)

Make sure you check out the scene at The Glass Cactus! :)

• April101
    10 years ago

We have stayed many times at the Gaylord Palms in Orlando for conferences. We called it "the envirodome". The Orlando one even has a gator pond. Neat place.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teacats, was it the Old Hickory Steakhouse? We had dinner there last night. Great steaks and a nice bottle of wine but, sadly, no martinis. The other big restaurant here is the Zeppole Coastal Italian.

April, I love your term for this: "envirodome" . . . It fits! I had no idea that ere were more of these resorts. Wow!

• kiki_thinking
    10 years ago

Looks very similar to the gaylord opryland!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

There's a Gaylord in DC....visited briefly but did not stay. I don't think it's as big as the one you've shown in Dallas. Most shops and restaurants adjacent but not under the dome...although I think the hotel did have a few restaurants and shops.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Extraordinary-looking place.

But I have to say the knowledge that I was cooped up essentially indoors in such a space with that many people would drive me crazy. The first thing I ask about a hotel room is: do the windows open? I gotta have fresh air.

Hope you have a splendid time, though. Are you vacationing or attending a business conference or a bit of both?

L.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

As a new-to-Texas resident, I feel thru the years Texas hasn't been given the respect it deserves. There are so many things in the state to be had, fantastic food, luxurious spas, magnificent hotels, as well as art/history museums, venues of every genre, and what matters most to me, the *awesome*, friendly people!

Lynn, I'm so happy you've had the opportunity to visit this wonderful state I now call home. Y'all come back now, y'hear? ;o)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

What is the sound level? I've been in atrium buildings and they were noisy.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Interesting - glad you are enjoying your stay - though I have to say that would not appeal to me personally. Just don't care for "contrived" environments like that though I can see how it might be appealing to some people when the real outdoor weather is unpleasant.

• jmc01
    10 years ago

I like things/places older with character....and like Lirio, i prefer fresh air.

The in-laws took me to Grapevine and I have no need to return.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Beautiful.

Gaylord Nashville couple of years ago for a convention. Very nice as well.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a business trip to a conference that we're at. I think what fascinates me most about this place is the ability nowadays to have place like this where people can live, work, shop,play,dine, etc. in a climate controlled environment. . . and have it feel so natural and comfortable. It seems very futuristic like that and I can see using this technology to perhaps build cities in harsh or inhospitable environments, if needed, in the future. I'm not advocating living like this now and, frankly, I hope our world never gets that bad that we'd need to, but being here fascinates me with possibilities in our world's future. As for right now, I'm just enjoying the heck out of my short time here!.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

I live just a few miles from the Grapevine Gaylord, it really is a nice place. In the summer when it's 100 out it is a great place to wander around.

• User
    10 years ago

There is a Gaylord in Nashville that looks similar to the pictures you posted. It was (perhaps still is) a recurring venue for the Nationals / North American Championships in Irish dancing and we stayed there several times when DD was competing at that level. The Nashville one had a lazy river through the lobby that you could float through with inner tubes. The kids LOVED it.

Enjoy your trip!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Kswl. Very cool that your dd competes in Irish dancing. I love it. It's fascinating to watch.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

After reading all the posts I had to go back and look at the picture. It looks more like the San Antonio Riverwalk than I realized. It's a wonderful place to spend the day, spring and fall are the best times.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I saw those similarities, too, Patty. I love San Antonio's Riverwalk area! Oklahoma City has something very similar called Bricktown. We always try to head there at least once every trip back to see DD at college.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I'd never heard of these resorts. I can' see why you're so fascinated by it Lynn. It would be awesome to stay at any one of them in the dead of winter. Living in eastern Nebraska there are times I just plain don't go outside if I don't have to. Like when it gets below freezing. That's too cold for me.

• User
    10 years ago

Thx, Red :-) She is 26 now and in a profession in which she lives in one city and works in another, so she doesn't have time to take classes any more. But ...last week she was at a sorority sister's wedding in Houston and she and the bride ( who was a more recreational Irish dancer) did a treble jig at the reception! She competed in the world championships in 2002 and that was an incredible experience....she attributes a lot of her ability to stick with something until she's got it to her dance training. DS2 also danced for several years but not with the intensity of his sister.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kswl, how wonderful that both of your daughters were involved with Irish dancing! I've always enjoyed watching those dancers! Which reminds me, while we were at the Gaylord Texan last week, we were lucky enough to see Ronan Tynan speak and perform there. Tynan is one of the Three Irish Tenors and is also the most wonderful motivational speaker I've ever seen. This guy is a true Renaissance Man. Not only does he have the voice of an angel, but he's a physician who specialized in Sports Medicine; he's a double amputee (both lower legs) and the winner of 18 GOLD medals in equestrian and discus at the Para-Olympics . . . not to mention being a hugely successful motivational speaker.
    Anyhoo, thinking about Irish dancing made me want to mention him as well.
    Lynn