Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

Random thoughts on a rainy day

hhireno
10 years ago

I'm sitting here waiting for something to finish baking and my head is filled with random thoughts.

Why is it that I'm the only one who knows how to operate the top down/bottom up shade in the guest bathroom?

Why is it that it took until today for me to realize I should just replace that shade to avoid future frustration with being the only one skilled enough to operate it?

Why is it that my husband can't remember to put the hanger, from the shirt he just put on, into the laundry basket that resides in the closet for that very purpose? And why is it I can't remember to check if he remembered to toss the hangers in there before I bring the laundry downstairs? On the plus side, it does get me another flight of stairs on my fitbit when I have to go back up for them.

If you ever want to appreciate your spouse, take a vacation with friends and their spouses. I was away with a group of friends recently and was reminded that as much as I like their husbands, I could not live with them beyond a week of vacation. I'm sure they would say the same of me. And that's cool. As long as my husband wants to live with me beyond a week of vacation, it's all good.

What is everyone else thinking about today?

Comments (8)

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

It's now 3:00PM and I'm wondering where in the heck did my day go?!? I have a list of 21 things that I needed to get done today, including packing up DD's Fall & Winter clothes and mailing them off to her at college . . . and here it is 3:00 and I've only finished 5!
    But, I did get her reservations home for Thanksgiving made, which was a biggie. And I went online to Babies-R-Us and bought a darling diaper bag (fun!) for the baby shower I'm going to the day we get back from our Dallas trip.
    Well, DH won't be home from the clinic for another 4 hours at least, so I'd better start moving and get a few more things accomplished before then.
    Do you ever have days like this, when everything you do turns out to be frustratingly so much more complicated or time-consuming than you'd planned?!?
    Lynn

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Hmm. Random thoughts at the moment are: Who should I hire to seal my driveway? Why can't I keep my house tidy when I am the only one living here? I need to call my financial advisor to straighten out a couple things. If I don't get myself moving, I will be late for my appointment with the salon. Why can't the weather forecasters get it right? Remember to put the laundry in the dryer. Need to go mattress shopping after the salon - should I go to Verlo first or Macy's?

Pretty fascinating stuff, huh?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Ha ha ha, hhireno, I had to laugh at your fitbit comment. That's what I tell myself, though I just have my ipod in my pocket counting steps, when I have to make extra steps to get something accomplished. And yes, often because of something someone else didn't do.
    As for what I'm thinking? Why do I get into situations where set in stone plans change and I'm the one that has to tell the others involved, but the reasons are rarely because of me personally? I like order. That's all I want is order. Okay I do need some hubby time and chocolate to make me really happy, but those pretty much are part of order when you really think about. At least in my mind they are.
    Lynn, my whole life is pretty much like that anymore as I don't work outside the home so everyone thinks I have all the time in the world to do their stuff because they're busy. Oh and I'm not!? Where did I ever get the idea that a Wife/Mom's life ever becomes her own after her children are grown and have children of their own? Silly me.
    dedtired, I'm with you on the weather forecasters. I'd love to get paid and not have to worry about getting it right everyday. Thanks for the laundry reminder too. I'm a whole day behind because of plan changes involving son's auto breaking down and my having to not only get his son to the bus stop, but tow his vehicle home with my vehicle (it was out on the highway within shouting distance from our home), start shopping for autos for him and again today drop grandson off at the bus stop and head to the airport so son and I could pick up hubby's vehicle in the park and go so I wouldn't have to do this the rest of the week. Well I still will be taking and picking up grandson from bus stop.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Lots of thoughts today. Speaking of rain, we were planning to go to Bar Harbor, ME, this weekend, but since our main purpose was to explore Acadia and it's closed, we just cancelled our hotel and instead are going to NYC. Now I checked the weather forecast for NY and it looks pretty lousy...well, 30% chance of rain, better than 100%. DH wonders if someone is telling us something and we should just stay home? But I know he'd be mopey all weekend if we did. He was more excited about Acadia than the rest of us were, because he is obsessed with his camera.

Meanwhile, DS surprised me last night by saying a local university has moved into the "favorites" on his college list (he is a senior, working on early action apps this month). So he now has 3 favorites, one 5 hours away and 2 very close to home. I suspect he is setting himself up to stay close to home, because he is that kind of kid, but he won't ever admit it out loud! DH and I would be thrilled if he stayed close, but we're playing it very cool and actually have been almost pushing the far-away school. For anyone wondering: Syracuse, Northeastern, and Boston University. Unfortunately only NU has early action, so he'll have to wait quite a while to find out about the others. (He's applying EA to 3 others, too.)

Finally, I have been working very part time as a decorator for several years. I don't advertise and all work has been via word of mouth, or from people who read my monthly column in our local newspaper. Business has been very erratic but that's fine with me. I enjoy being busy but also enjoy down time. Over the summer I thought gee, maybe I should pack it in and get a "regular" job with stable hours. OTOH, I like making my own schedule, taking most of the summer off, and being my own boss. So I was in a quandary. Well, as of the end of August, I have been CRAZY busy. Like never before. I have been laughing, thinking as the third new client called me within a week, am I being punked or what? I guess word has just gotten around. Who knows, but even though it's been a bit overwhelming, I'm loving it. It sounds silly, but I've noticed I have a bit of a spring in my step and in general just feeling more productive feels good. My kids need me less than ever (and one moved out over the summer) so the timing is good, too. At the moment, I think I have 6 or 7 projects at various stages.

Finally. The whole wheat bread I made in my bread machine last night tastes like cardboard.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

It's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend so my random thoughts are full of menu planning, table decorating and making lists of things to do.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Hmmmm,

Well, I wore some tight shoes to the grocery store on Sunday, hoping to stretch them out. They felt only slightly uncomfortable so I thought it worked out. Well this morning I rowed (on a machine) 2 miles and towards the end, I was in excruciating heel pain. Turns out I had a massive blister and now just raw skin. Ouch.

Need to google how to care for it.

So my sister tells me this morning that she took her son to a homeopathic doctor last week. He takes some kind of wand hooked to a computer and swipes it over his skin. Based on that, the doctor determines that nephew has a slow metabolism and his Candida level is off the charts. He gives him some drops at the tune of $400. While there, sister tells the doc that nephew has a hard time getting to sleep so the doctor gives more drops for that too. Sister decides to try them out on herself first. Anyway, she says the drops are amazing! She sleeps like a baby every night! So I ask her for a list of ingredients and she reads them off: "Camomile, melatonin, valerian, coffea, cruda, klonopin, avena . . ." I say, "Wait, did you say klonopin?" She's taking a benzo every night and had no idea.

I need to make an appointment next time I visit her.

I've been watching the news all day while working. I'm freaked out and I'm sure armageddon is at hand.

I need to find out if there are any "End of Days" preparedness check lists online.

• User
    10 years ago

Kelly there is a TV show for that Doomsday Preppers. I am glad I don't watch the news.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one that stays away from watching the news. I have TMJ so I clench my teeth enough. I don't need more reason to wear my teeth down.