Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

99 Life Hacks (aka Helpful Ideas)

graywings123
10 years ago

You probably have seen some of these, but some were new to me - like wrapping a wet paper towel around a bottle to fast cool it in the freezer.

Here is a link that might be useful: 99 Life Hacks

Comments (28)

• User
    10 years ago

I love life hacks I actually use a few of the ones on that list.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I love these too. I've tried some. There is one that I tried and then realized what a waste of a good walnut! I'd rather eat it and use Old English to cover scratches in my furniture.
    Then there's the hand held can opener one that just plain doesn't work at all and I really wanted that one to work!
    The nylon hosiery over the vacuum hose has been around for as long as I can remember, but still an awesome one.
    Thanks for posting these. There were some I hadn't seen before and will try!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

This appeared on my FB feed. Good ideas in it. Am I the only one who did not know about the highway signs?? I feel so dumb.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if I knew that one or not Detired. Usually the signs around here have arrows.

• User
    10 years ago

I didn't know about the highway signs I wonder if they do it that way in Canada or in other countries.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Fun to read. I always told my girls to never take a drink from anyone or leave their drink unattended.

Love the noodle in the garage to keep from banging the car door.

I use colorful, oversized clothes pins for chip clips. I use them on opened cereal bags, cracker bags, frozen waffle bags, opened bread bags, etc.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I use wooden clothespins for chip clips, though I do now have some plastic ones that I bought to hold plastic table clothes down and a family gathering we hosted.

I've been peeking at these tips since I first opened the page and I just saw one I hope works. Though three of the four of my cats like sitting on my desk one thinks anywhere is his for the laying. I have got to try the box trick and see if it works for him. I'm tired of his back end laying across my mouse pad. Love as much as I do, I don't want to reach for my mouse only to grab his bottom!

This post was edited by justgotabme on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 17:05

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

How great to have these in one place. Many new ideas to me. As I kept reading, the realization that I was going to start saving things (just in case) could get out of hand. I have a lot of garage/office needs to keep in order now . But some are too good to ignore.

The pizza on a heated seat was interesting for more than just heating the pizza. And using chips for a fire starter. We eat those things.

Why does the cat have to sit on the book, paper being read, or the key board/mouse? I'm not sure they are going to go for the box diversion either. They would have already been curled up in my inbox if this works.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I'm off to make myself a brownie in a mug....Yum!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Those are clever and helpful. Now if I can just remember them when I need them.

• User
    10 years ago

Here's one that isn't in there:

To eliminate having a puddle of liquid on the top of opened dairy products like sour cream, dips, cottage cheese, etc....

After you use what you want, smooth the top of the product with a spoon and you'll have no liquid when you use it the next time.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Loved this and found quite a few helpful ideas I can use. The pool noodle mounted to keep your car door from hitting the garage wall is just one of many. I had no idea about the highway exit signs either!
    Lynn

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I love those too but can't ever seem to remember them when I need to! The tp tubes around the wrapping paper is great if I can get over my squeamishness...

But I will never velcro my coffee table!

• teacats
    10 years ago

Some really clever ideas! :)

Thanks for posting! :)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I'll have to try that one PresDuLac! Thanks.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Lots of good suggestions - I already use several of these. I will add one - I have always used the cheap, stretchy pony-tail holders on my wrapping paper - slip in on the end, then roll it down towards the middle.

• User
    10 years ago

My favorite one is using the plastic bread clips to organize power cords. The examples were labeled "power", "mouse", "hot tub" and "life support".

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Ha! I didn't even notice that Java! Funny.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Posted this on another thread, but can be added to this list. I have never found a bath rug really liked, the size, color, pattern or is actually water resistant to keep moisture off of my wood floors. After washing rugs available with a rubber backing, they don't last long. A couple of yoga mats later, I put them under some favorite rugs, cut to size. They keep moisture off of the floor and are easily wiped down or even throw them in the washer, then air dry. This would also work in the kitchen and laundry area.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

That's a great idea with the yoga mat. I bet it's more cushy underfoot too!
    As for bathroom rugs. Never put them in the dryer. That's what destroys the backing. I clip mine to pant hangers and air dry them on the rod in the bathroom. They dry very quickly.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I made a toilet paper roll speaker for my iPhone. My Grands were very impressed so I showed them this great link.

• camlan
    10 years ago

If the box top on your desk doesn't work to keep the cats off your hand/arm/keyboard, try putting a pillow on your desk.

This has its limitations if you have multiple cats, though.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Loved these! The toilet paper rolls for wrapping paper idea is great! I had always used tape or rubber bands, but this is much better. Thanks graywings!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

golddust, a mug or deep bowl works great to amplify the sound for a phone too. I've even cupped my hand under the speakers when in the car and I want hubby, who's driving, to hear something.
    camlan, what precious cats you have. We have four, but anymore they only come one at a time to my desk. The box is working, but I think I need a bigger box. Three of my four are very large cats. The fourth is half the size of the smaller of the others.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Well, I couldn't resist the brownie in a mug so made one last night and it wasn't bad and only took 5 minutes to put it together.....brownies whenever I want! Then this morning I got to wondering what the calorie count was....almost 700! If it sounds too good too good to be true.....sigh!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

No Way! Tell me it isn't so!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Justgot...Oops...I must have counted something twice...but it's still not great....559. Here's the breakdown:

1/4 c sugar--194
    1/4 c flour--100
    2 TB cocoa--25
    2TB oil---240

Wonder how it would taste substituting the sugar for stevia or something...also, not sure what could replace the oil...applesauce? Those are the 2 culprits. I may try to find substitutes and try it again....

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thanks for update JoanieP, but that's still way more calories than I eat for snacks. Heck my dinner isn't much more than that most nights.
    I have heard of substituting applesauce for the oil works quite well. I think Stevia it equal to sugar if I remember correctly. I've not used it in baking so I'm not sure. Sad that things so yummy have so many calories, isn't it?