Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Did you watch Breaking Bad?

Sueb20
10 years ago

I spent a good portion of my summer vacation watching Breaking Bad seasons 1-4. Since the beginning of Sept., DH and I made our way through all of season 5... during the last two nights we watched 3 episodes each night, with the finale (recorded from Sun. night) at the end! We were obsessed. (And now, we are exhausted.) He looked at me last night and said "What will we do with our time now? Wanna start again with episode 1?" He was kidding, but we both just loved the series. I've never watched a whole series from beginning to end like that, over the course of a few months.

Did anyone else get consumed by this series?

Comments (25)

• mdrive
    10 years ago

yes!

i watched it similarly to you...i canceled cable this summer, but when season six came on, i just had to watch, so i used my amazon prime account to rent each episode of the final season....watched the finale *again* last night with DH

i can't think of a better series ever! i downloaded the songs 'baby blue' and ' el paso' on my itunes, lol, guess that says a lot -gg

i can easily see watching the series again...there is so much sub-text going on, i'm sure there were little hints of deeper meaning to the dialogue and scenes that i missed the first time

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I watched (I'm still watching it), over a period of years. I'm halfway through the final season. I'm trying hard not to find out how it ended!

I love it too, and am sad that it's ending. But I felt that way about the Sopranos and I guess I survived!

I heard Vince Gilligan has a new series called "Battle Creek"- I'm hoping it will be great!

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

DH and I started watching around season three - marathon style. It's exhausting because at 10pm we promise each other just one more. Next thing you know, we've watched three more!

It really was the most well written, produced, directed, acted TV show of all time.

70's rock is my favorite music genre so I gave DH quite the performance while singing along to Badfinger's "Baby Blue."

• kkay_md
    10 years ago

Yes! We were huge fans. Really, it was the best TV series ever; the writing was brilliant, and we really cared about the characters. We're going to ask Santa for the boxed set for Christmas.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I love it so much. I thought the finale was great. Did you see Vince Gilligan on The Colbert Report? Now I want more Breaking Bad. It was one of the best series ever. watching Walt's descent into darkness was mesmerizing. I couldn't watch some of the worst violence, though.

There will be a spinoff called Better Call Saul.

Here is a link that might be useful: colbert

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

DH is totally addicted. I am resisting as I am not sure I want some of the images in my memory.. if that makes sense :)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I am so sorry its over. In my head I know how there can be a return of some of the characters. i won't share, in case someone hasn't seen the finale.

ML

• mdrive
    10 years ago

kelly, totally agree about the music used throughout the series...
    how could i have forgotten this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: crystal blue persuasion

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Oh yes, i streamed it thru Net flix and went on marathon viewings. Each time id tell myself only one more episode, and id find myself watching 3 in a row.

Netflix hadnt had the next to last season yet, so i am behind, I think its available now, so i can catch up and then get the rest on TV this season in reruns.

I honestly never thought id feel sympathetic toward some of the characters, but Jesse-it almost felt like he had a soul and could be redeemed. Anxious to see how it plays out.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I loved the Saul character; he had some of the best lines. Yes, I heard he will have a show and when I saw Anna Gunn (Walt's wife) on a talk show, she seemed to hint that she may also be in the show.

I agree, I feel like I could watch it again looking for signs and symbols. And I also grew to almost love Jesse, and felt like Walt was sort of a father figure to him.

We might have to watch the finale again this weeknd. Just because.
    Definitely had some weird dreams after watching some episodes!

• mdrive
    10 years ago

i found this compilation of the transformation of walter white (in reverse)

gives me chills watching!

Here is a link that might be useful: ready to watch all over again

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I feel bad for quitting in the first season (the bathtub episode), as everyone tells me it's the best thing on TV ever. My husband was hooked, and said that the finale was great. Maybe I'll watch it on Netflix or something.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Another fan(atic) here. Same story--I got hooked over the winter holiday season. When I got my Kindle Fire for Xmas I decided to check out BB on Netflix...and spent the rest of my vacation totally absorbed.

Agree with everyone, one of the absolutely best written, acted and directed tv series I have ever watched. And without spoiling the ending--thought it was absolutely perfect too!

Ann

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

DH and I started watching last summer since there's usually nothing on TV. We were immediately hooked. We watched on Netflix, but the first 8 episodes of this last season were only on Amazon. We will probably buy the box set and watch some of the audio commentary.

It was very funny because when I was at a dinner for journal editors/reviewers at my professional conference, everyone on my end of the table was going nuts about BrBa, and these are all MD's and PhD's.

The 3rd to last episode this season "Ozymandias" was probably the best hour of TV drama we have ever seen.

With the "prequel" series of "Better Call Saul", at least we will get some BrBa fix. I hope some of the characters like Mike or maybe even Gus might appear in that.

One of our new faculty just finished his doctorate at Univ of NM, so, of course I had to talk to him about it. I asked if he ever ate at Los Pollos Hermanos (which is actually not a chicken restaurant but burgers and tacos), LOL. There are even tours you can take!

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: BrBa tours

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 7:44

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Here in New Mexico, everyone except DH and myself seemed to have been hooked on it. I've never even watched one episode of it, despite several episodes being filmed at an estate just across the road from us a couple of years ago. While shooting, there were dozens of people, trucks and vans everywhere clogging up the road. As I walked my dogs in the morning, I would see actors walking up and down past our property talking on their cell phones. We were always notified the day before they would be filming a scene with gunfire so that we wouldn't be alarmed and call the police . . . Although most of them were already on scene directing traffic, keeping onlookers from getting in the way, etc. (LOL!). So why didn't we watch it? We just don't have time to watch tv in the evenings during the week. From what I've heard here locally, though, the actors themselves are very well liked and go out of their way to get involved in the town and give back a lot. I've also heard that there is a spinoff series in the works.

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 11:06

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

We never watched it until the world started lamenting about the "upcoming" final season. We binge watched the first four seasons around the holidays. I adore the show. So well written, well performed, well-filmed . . . I could go on and on.

I lived in Albuquerque as a kid and am hoping to move back to NM in the next couple years. BrBa just made me miss it even more. Especially since Walt and Skyler's car wash is the one my dad used to take me to when I was a kid.

• geogirl1
    10 years ago

We also binge watched it on Netflix until we caught up with the TV show. Great show. So much fun. So bad. So great!

• leafy02
    10 years ago

Watched all of it, binge-style until this season which I watched in regular time. Great show, although I believe The Wire still retains the title of best television show ever.

I'm sad now that it's over as I don't have anything else to replace it with and look forward to.

I do watch Homeland and The Americans and enjoy them both very much, but they're not Breaking Bad.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Boo hoo. After all those Sundays of watching Breaking Bad at 9 pm, here I sit with nothing to watch. Actually, I have started watching House of Cards on Netflix.

I like Homeland and a new show called The Blacklist.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I haven't watched this particular series, but we binge watched Mad Men, Downton Abbey, and the Mindy Project. And I used to binge watch Arrested Development on my way into NYC.

It's odd how, even with shows I liked a lot, I have no idea what network, day or time they are on.

NYT recently wrote about this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Binge TV

• leafy02
    10 years ago

That's interesting, mtnrdredux--and at least among myself and my friends, it's totally true. I don't just binge-watch to catch up on old shows, I prefer it as a way of watching and will avoid watching a show all season so I can sit down and do all 13 episodes in a couple of days--because I hate the suspense and waiting between episodes.

I think LOST was the last show I actually sat down to watch when it was broadcast each week, and ever since I've watched things exclusively on disk or streaming.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I also binge read--I think it makes for a very different and sometimes more enjoyable experience to be able to follow the entire arc of a story on tv or in a book. For one thing I find it's much easier to keep up with characters and plot points when I don't have to wait X time between episodes (or volumes). And I can also decipher themes, subplots etc more quickly-and sometimes more deeply-when I have the opportunity to experience the story in a continuous sweep.

And of course it's one binge that won't leave you feeling the worse for wear. Well, other than a few nights of missed sleep or some missed social interaction while you were off in Albuquerque or the Abbey or wherever!

Ann

• sedona_heaven
    10 years ago

Love this thread! DH tried to get me to watch with him but I was put off by the topic and potential violence. Then read so many enthusiastic reviews prior to the final season that I decided to try watching. Sure glad I did. What brilliant writing and characterizations. And the best series finale I've seen!
    (However, I usually needed a medicinal viewing of The Mindy Project or Parks and Recreation afterward. ) Loved seeing Vince Gilligan on Colbert.

• trancegemini_wa
    10 years ago

DH and I are currently binging our way through breaking bad. I'm so glad no one here gave away the ending, we're only up to season 3! we love the show and the way the characters are changing and developing.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I'm currently binge watching New Girl (cute) and House of Cards (riveting).

I also got to see the first episode of the new season of Downton Abbey. Hold onto your hats for that one!