Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Funny Comics

gwlolo
10 years ago

Is it me or are comics just not funny anymore? When I was a kid I would race to the daily newspaper to read the comics. Even now, I love to sit with my stack of Calvin & Hobbes. Sunday color comic sheets were always fought over and it was a minor victory when you got to read it first with the newspaper smell still fresh.

So do you find any of the current comics funny?

This post was edited by GWlolo on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 13:10

Comments (21)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I rarely read them even as a child, never religiously anyway, so I have no clue if they are less funny now. I did always like Pickles when I was older as the man and wife looked so much like my Uncle Marion and Aunt Rosie.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I don't get or read a newspaper any more, but besides Sylvia, my favorite comic in more recent times is Pearls Before Swine

• blfenton
    10 years ago

A couple of them are still funny and Sally Forth and Betty get me giggling every once in a while. The one that is really bugging me right now is Rex Morgan. There is something dysfunctional about that family and it looks like the 5 year old is running the house. Very strange.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I just loved For Better or For Worse. It felt like someone was looking in the window of my house and writing a comic strip about my family.

I used to read almost every cartoon strip. I could almost measure my age by them. They never aged but I did. First I was the same age as Dennis the Menace and then the same age as his parents and now I am the same age as Mr. and Mrs. Wilson! I get the same feeling about Family Circus.

Does anyone remember a strip called Dondi? I loved that when I was a kid. I believe he was a Korean orphan brought home by a GI.. I think.

Now I only get the Sunday paper and I barely read the comics.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Ha ha Oly!
    dedtired, I remember Dondi. I don't remember much about it though.
    I decided to Google Pickles and read quite a few of them. They not funny. At all! So sad.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Dilbert is the only one I read on occasion and it still can make me grin wryly because it's so true to life.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

My hubby likes Dilbert.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I remember Dondi, Ded-Not before you mentioned it though!

I like Dilbert a lot and Pearls before Swine (especially with the crocs and zebras (zeebas)...can't wait to see what happens with the crocs and penguins aka oreos). However, my favorite these days is Pickles. I love love love when the grandfather is explaining things to his grandson. Actually, I think it is usually pretty funny-maybe because we are getting close to that age and I hope I am half as clever and funny as those old folks!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

These are the sort of comics I find amusing these days. Occasionally I see these on Facebook and some of them just crack me up.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

One more.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I was never much into comics, but the only one I ever really enjoyed was B.C.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Love those, Sueb. Some of them come across my F page and sometimes they are hilarious.

The comic I never got was The Far Side. Huh?

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I used to like Calvin and Hobbs. I have a few of those saved.

Two of my favorite Far Sides were:
    A dog standing on a stool, standing at a kitchen counter, pouring himself a cup of espresso from a machine, with the caption "while their owners sleep, nervous little dogs prepare for their day."

Another was one person sitting in an auditorium and the sign hanging over the stage was something along the lines of convention of people from functional families.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

My all time favorite Far Side was actually an ad for Mentos. It was a dragon staring at a knight in armor. The caption was "Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside has always been the rage in treats" (or something along those lines). Horribly punny.

I used to love Zits. When I had teenage boys at home, I could relate 100% to that comic strip, and I think For Better or Worse is still pretty cute.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't read them often any more as I'm so often disappointed. I agree that they used to be funnier. I used to bust out laughing at Lil Abner and Pogo. The Far Side was great. Also enjoyed Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County (we have a stuffed Opus), still enjoy Peanuts and Beetle Bailey and Blondie. But something about the humor in so many of the strips has turned hard...I enjoy it less.

I also found the Muppets lost a lot when Jim Henson died. His son had a harder sense of humor vs. his father's which was just plain fun.

Lately the NYer cartoons have improved...for awhile, they were not so funny if not downright inscrutable.

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

I have been reading them since I was about 5, starting with Nancy and Sluggo, and Donald Duck. When I went to college my mom sent me Peanuts every week. Now I particularly try not to miss LuAnn and For Better or Worse, and still love Peanuts. But there are so many that aren't funny at all, or even interesting.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

I grew up with a family of comic book lovers. My dad would come home with everything from Mad Magazine to Classics Illustrated to Archie for us kids.

If we were sick he would stop at the drugstore and bring us a special comic book and a sweet. With six of us that was a treat because the sick child had first dibs on the comic - no waiting!. I Carried on that tradition for my own dd too.

Now that I read most papers online I forget to look at the comics. i need to make a point of reading them again. I could use the comic relief from the news.

So many of the somee cards are hilarious and The Strip by Brian McFadden makes me laugh every time.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Strip

• Faron79
    10 years ago

I grew up on Peanuts!!!!

STILL love the gang after all these years!
    Still have the big hardcover "Peanuts Treasury" I bought in the 70's! I made SURE that our DD (now 23!!!) knew all about the "Great Pumpkin", and all that cute/innocent stuff.

I would NEVER miss the Peanuts Halloween show on CBS in the 70's! Same with "Merry Christmas Charlie Brown!" When I look back, I miss the simple, sweet innocence and fun of those shows & characters...

Yes...
    BC, The Far-Side, Calvin & Hobbes are the best by FAR IMO!

I also liked Archie, Beetle-Bailey, Garfield, Hi & Lois, Marmaduke, & Hagar the Horrible...

Good times & memories with all of these!

Faron
    PS- This simple Far-Side frame is my all-time FAVE!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Midvale school...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I used to love Mad Magazine too. In fact, just the other night I watched "The French Connection" which I hadn't seen since it was in the theatres...amazingly the famous chase scene still holds its own. And I remembered the Mad magazine satire called "What's the Connection?"

Classic Pogo:

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

The best part of the Sunday paper.

We called them the "funnies".

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Annie, I gave my husband (who was with EPA for 40 years) one of Kelly's original Pogo Earth Day posters from 1971. It is a two frame poster and the one you showed is the second one. Love it.

If we are talking comics that are no longer being drawn, I have to go with Calvin and Hobbes and Shoe. Pogo is, of course, a brilliant classic.