Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

The Oil-Cleansing Method (OCM)

User
9 years ago

Anyone cleanse their face using only oil?

Since I have changed my daily sunscreen (my has mexoryl in it) to a water resistance one, I have noticed that after washing my face, I always use Dove soap, it doesnt feel clean. Actually feels a bit tacky. I am assuming that sunscreen is not completely washed off. I have been reading up on using oil to remove the sunscreen and have been finding out how good it actually it is as a cleanser.

Comments (10)

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Yes. I have been doing this for about 6-9 months I think. I can not imagine doing anything else anymore. I have a pin board if you want mroe reading :)

I mix a few oils.

I still need to put a bit of an oil moisturizer on afterwards and I am still working on finding the right mix for that.

Here is a link that might be useful: oil cleansing

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What oils do you mix?

I was thinking of just using coconut oil to get off the sunscreen and then using dove soap....does that seem stupid? I have my favourite serums and moisturisers I use that have anti aging ingredients, would the coconut oil or any oil for that matter leave a film on the skin so the serums wouldnt penetrate as well?

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

hmm so you are really talking about using it like a make up remover but for sunscreen. I did not understand. it does leave your skin feeling different then using soap. I do think other creams would penetrate but maybe not the same as after using a drying soap.

I use grapeseed oil, castor oil, jojoba oil and sea buck thorn seed oil.

I have read that coconut oil can clog your pores so I have not tried that one for my face. (just hair, and I hate the smell for some reason!)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes I am thinking of using coconut oil as a makeup remover I guess. I do use coconut oil on my face as a treatment after cleansing once a week only as I rotate my ingredients, I think it benefits the skin so it doesnt get used the ingredients and it stops working. I do use coconut oil on my body everynight. I am the opposite,I love the smell!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Nothing more than Ponds Cold Cream! Removes all forms of goo.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks patty, but Ponds has a long list of ingredients, I am trying to use less chemicals.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I have been using Bobbi Brown Cleansing Oil for quite a while. Almost nightly, and I say 'almost' because sometimes I am lazy. It contains olive and jojoba oils and ginger root. Very light fragrance from the ingredients. I massage it in, rinse with warm water and then follow with a cleanser I use from my skin care doc made by Theradon. I usually use my Clairsonic 3-4 times weekly with the cleanser.

• alisande
    9 years ago

I didn't know oils were used as facial cleansers. Interesting. I recently bought avocado oil with the intention of using it on my skin over the winter, but as more of a moisturizer.

My own cleansing routine is very simple: Cetaphil rubbed in lightly and removed with a wet, cold washcloth. I haven't used soap on my face since I was a teenager. (I'm 71.) But I've been moisturizing religiously since my teens.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I use coconut oil to clean my face, then swipe it off with a cleansing towlette, after which I rinse with warm water. I'm not crazy about smelling like coconut, so I buy Spectrum Organics Refined Coconut Oil

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a link to a chart which shows how comedogenic or not an oil is.

i also have a bottle of avacado oil I use for cooking, looks like a good oil for skin, I will give that one a try too, thanks.

I did buy bottle of organic rosehip oil, it is a wonderful oil, lots of vitamin A in it, it is also a dry oil which I like

Here is a link that might be useful: oils