Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Hourly rates for decorating/consulting, and how to increase...

Sueb20
10 years ago

A little background. About 10 years ago, with 3 young kids at home and starting to think about what "going back to work" would look like for me after about 7 years at home, I went back to school in a certificate program in Decorative Arts at an art school in Boston. I took 1-2 classes at a time for about 3 years. Halfway through, friends started asking me to consult on their decorating projects, then friends of friends...and as a student, I charged $25/hour. By the time I was done taking classes, I had a little part-time gig working for myself, which worked out great because I could make my own hours and take summers off. I soon increased my rate a bit, to $40. After a few more years, I raised it again, but not by a whole lot.

In the past 7 or so years, I've been working VERY part time. As a *decorator* -- I never call myself an interior designer because I do not have the credentials. I often refer to myself as a consultant. I do a lot of work w/ helping clients choose paint colors, figure out floor/furniture plans, choose materials like tile and fabrics, and help navigate the furniture stores (with varying degrees of hand holding). All of my business is word of mouth, except for the 2 hours I donate to a town/school fundraiser each year -- which almost always leads to more (paid) hours from the "winner" and often a referral to a friend or two.

Clients seem to like me because I am very approachable, casual but professional and organized, AND I focus my whole approach on helping people save money. We/they shop at regular retail stores. I have a seamstress who does window treatments quite reasonably. I can direct them to local sales, online sites, etc., in an effort to find items for less. I have a LOT of repeat business. Since August, I have been crazy busy...after years of working from 1-10 hours a week, very sporadically (which was fine with me because I have busy kids and I also like my down time), I am now juggling 7-8 projects. I now have a couple of realtors in town who know me and have sent a couple of referrals my way, too.

Another reason why people like to hire me, though, is because my hourly rate is so low. I started to realize how low when reading the discussion in sjhockeyfan's thread about her experience w/ a decorator. $200 an hour? OMG. I don't charge $25 any more, but my rate is still very, very reasonable. I have always thought it didn't make sense to me to charge a high rate when my whole schtick is about saving people money. However...I do think it is time to raise my rate, probably as of January 1.

The last time I did this, I only had a few "active" clients and I sent them an email probably 2 months in advance of the rate change, so if they wanted to, they could still get me for the lower rate if they wanted to schedule before the increase.

This time, more people know me, know about my business, and/or are involved in projects with me.

What is the graceful way to announce a rate increase?
And what is the appropriate amount to increase an hourly rate?

I feel like I should handle the rate increase differently w/ existing "active" clients than w/ others. Just not sure exactly how. Maybe tell them they have an extra 3 or 6 months at the lower rate, or something? (Like: my rate increase is effective on Jan. 1, but for existing clients, it's effective April 1.)

Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks.

Comments (11)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Helping clients save money is a reason to charge more per hour, not less. Most decorators would probably make a lot more on mark up of to the trade stuff than on their hourly rate.

I think 60 days notice for existing clients is more than fair, and zero for new clients. Especially if you don't particularly want to add to your work load. If you announce that your rates will go up in the future, it's almost like announcing a sale today, and you may get inundated. Better to have less clients who pay more.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Sue, I think your plan to give existing clients a few months notice is good and is a " good faith" move rather than just springing it on them with "now my rate is.." As for new clients, what Mtn said makes sense..but since they are mostly referrals and probably already know what your rates are, I would tell them your rates have just increased to $......and they can decide if they can afford you or not.

I would LOVE to find someone like you in my area....as stated in SJ's thread I had a miserable experience at $250 an hour. I love the fact that you use regular stores and try to save people $. My experience was the opposite. I think a lot of designers are snooty and only want to work with endless budgets. You are providing a service that most folks can afford and can relate to.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

I would just finish out the existing customers at the rate they were given.

Have you have invested in printed materials (brochures, business cards etc.) with your current rates listed? If not, I would just state the new rates with new clients without any explanation of an increase.

If they question the rates just tell them costs have gone up. If they really push it, uhm ... do you want to work with them anyway?

ps. haven't had time to post lately - glad the dr. visit went well and you are well!

• chispa
    10 years ago

Sue, we used to live in the Boston burbs (top 5 school towns) and the rates 7 years ago were $75 - 100/hour for color consultations, etc.

Here in LA there is a pretty wide range, but the average designers (not on Bravo or HGTV!) charges around $100 - 200/hour. Most also add on markups for any purchases, starting at 20%.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Alternatively, for existing customers, to avoid the flood you could offer them their next job (up to xhours) at the old rate as a loyalty bonus, with the increase after that.

You might also include a mission statement, stating some of the thoughts you presented above, especially regarding saving clients money.

Analogous story: My husband's aunt owned a small art ceramics studio. Every now and then, she would come to my husband (businessman all the way) for advice on dealing with too many orders. He would explain to her how to increase her production, set up the studio more ergonomically, cut out low-volume specialty orders, and discontinue lines that weren't popular. She would always thank him, then say, "No, I'll just raise my prices." It would work for awhile, but very soon her pottery was even more in demand than before, because it was more expensive and therefore more valuable as a collectible!

So be prepared -- you may end up the most sought-after design consultant in the area.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All great advice so far. So, as to how much to increase, though.... say, hypothetically, that my rate was $50/hour. An increase to $75 seems a bit much, yes? or no?

• chispa
    10 years ago

Yes, it would be a big jump for a client that has been using you for a while, but you will still be pretty cheap to any new clients who have shopped around for a designer and compared rates.

• User
    10 years ago

I think two months is plenty of notice--- or, as you mentioned, January 1 for the new rate to begin--- for everyone, not just the new clients. As for the new rate, I don't know anything about your area but I don't know anyone around here who shops retail with clients. Definitely that hourly fee would be less than someone who is offering access to goods not obtainable without her or him. However, I don't think $75 is out of bounds, especially if YOU feel you're giving good value.

It's nice to be busy, but it would be nicer to be less busy and make the same amount!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

I think $75 per hour is very reasonable.

I do a lot of work w/ helping clients choose paint colors, figure out floor/furniture plans, choose materials like tile and fabrics

Or you could set up a fee structure. So much for paint consult, so much for a floorplan and so on. Or perhaps one fee per room which includes all that you do.

and help navigate the furniture stores (with varying degrees of hand holding).

I would charge by the hour for shopping, including the drive time plus mileage.

The positive side of having the client shop retail is you don't have the headache when something inevitably goes wrong. Damaged goods, wrong item shipped, wrong dimensions listed on spec sheet, back orders, discontinued items....

• sweeby
    10 years ago

Hi Sue -

Like you, I charge by the hour as a consultant. And yes, I've been a long time at the same rate and have been thinking of an increase. (Thanks for your question - Good timing!)

One thing that helped me most was a car repair bill. When I saw the hourly rate I was being charged for the mechanic's time, I felt much better about my proposed new rate. My new rate was in between my mechanic's and my CPA's (also a tax lawyer), so I felt perfectly justified, And in fact, that was the answer I planned to give my clients when they asked about the increase. To my relief, very few of them asked, and those that did, all agreed that my new rates (and rationale) were very reasonable.

I did lose a few clients, but those were the most price-sensitive and generally also the least satisfying to work with.

If I recall, I announced my rate hike about 30-60 days in advance in a letter to each of my regular clients.

So my suggestion? Pick a few 'sandwich professions' and price yourself relative to those. And most importantly, don't apologize. I've seen photos of your work, and you're right about saving people money. A beautiful room is a joy to live with, and one that pays dividends every day.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I did lose a few clients, but those were the most price-sensitive and generally also the least satisfying to work with.

That's the way it is for me too. Strange.

I'm a graphic designer/marketing consultant and I don't charge by the hour but per job. I haven't had a rate increase in forever, but last year I did separate out some specific tasks and billed them separately that would have otherwise been included in the total job. This afforded me the ability to make just a little bit more while not technically changing my rate per job. No one complained and I didn't loose any clients.

With all that said, I do bill some clients differently than others. It depends on how much work they give me, if they've referred me to other clients, PITA fee, how big of a company they are, etc.