Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

Ideas for dress as a state HS even, help!

debrak2008
10 years ago

My DD high school is doing a dress as a state day. Those she knows are doing easy stuff like beach clothes for florida, cowboy stuff for texas.

Any easy and low cost ideas are appreciated. I did google this but some of the ideas would be too hard to create. Also needs to be somewhat easily understood. She doesn't want to keep explaining it.

BTW we are in New York state.

Any thoughts?

Comments (28)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

First thing that comes to mind is to make a huge cut out of an Apple and wear that on a hat. Sorry-but thats what I think of when I think New York.

Could she put together things like the state flower, state animal, etc? I see that the State flower is a rose, the animal a beaver (same as Oregon!)

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to clarify that she can pick any state.

Cut out of an apple or some apple stuff. I live here and all I could think of was sports teams and statue of liberty. hmmm statue of liberty? Sheet, the head thingie and a torch? Again it doesn't have to be NY and I'm sure she would like a somewhat unique idea and maybe there will be lots of miss liberties.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dup

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 12:58

• hhireno
    10 years ago

For a NY state of mind:
    Statue of Liberty
    Broadway
    Rockette
    Wall Street Trader

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

She could wear a confederate flag as a tunic ( 3'x5" for $10) and make a cotton ball circular "crown" and carry a peach and wear beachy flip flops. That would represent the peaches and cotton grown here in SC and the popular coast which includes Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Charleston....

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

A black stove pipe hat for Illinois.
    A deck of cards pinned to her clothes for Nevada
    A cheese head hat for Wisconsin
    Mittens pinned to her clothes for Michigan (to be correct, only left hand)
    Maple leaves pinned to her clothes for Vermont (maple syrup)

When I stop and think about each state, something comes to mind for almost every one although not always easy to work into a costume.

This post was edited by dlm2000 on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 13:34

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How about if she wore a "new jersey"??? Leave the price tag on like Minnie Pearl.

I wouldn't recommend the confederate flag in any shape or form....

Dress like a potato for Maine or Idaho?

A maple tree for Vermont? You could dress in brown for the tree with colored leaves attached for fall.

Dress as a farmer for many states...Kansas, Nebraska...

She could wear blue jeans and a blue denim shirt and go as an assembly line worker for Detroit...or an unemployed one!

A Vegas show girl for Nevada?

Can you applique stuff on a t-shirt or sweatshirt that would represent the state? You can get iron on stuff like stitch witchery and applique it that way...no sewing. So you could get multiple symbols to represent a particular state....Like PA you could have coal and amish and the liberty bell.

An eskimo for Alaska?

Hula girl with grass skirt for Hawaii?

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 14:46

• camlan
    10 years ago

Pilgrim for Massachusetts.
    Liberty Bell for Pennsylvania.
    Mount Rushmore for South Dakota.
    The ocean for Rhode Island.
    And apparently one nickname for Kansas is "Home of Beautiful Women." She could just go as herself for that one.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Pocohontas, Dolley Madison, colonial garb for Virginia.

Crab, Edgar Allen Poe for Maryland.

Kentucky Derby for KY.

Minnie Pearl and Grand Ol' Opry costume for Tennessee.

I agree that the confederate flag should be a no-go. The rest of the SC idea might work though. Peaches would work for GA, too.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are great! I will share with her all these ideas. We just got home from shopping for a homecoming dance dress. Bought one, ordered one, and have one on hold at a local store. Mentally and physically draining.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

The confederate flag is highly representational of the the Southern states for most people which is why I suggested it.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Bumble wrote:

"The confederate flag is highly representational of the the Southern states for most people which is why I suggested it."

Not most people. Still some people.

ML

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

"The confederate flag is highly representational of the the Southern states for most people which is why I suggested it." But not in a good way and to suggest it as a costume for a high school student boggles the mind. Sorry for the hijack.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Well, the world of what's acceptable has changed as our awareness has increased...I saw confederate flag and thought, "Oh, no." But I thought the same thing about dressing like a Native Eskimo, or Pocahontas; they used to seem acceptable to most of us, it's not the same now that we know how those groups feel about being mascots or Halloween costumes. I think the New Jersey suggestion Annie made is about the cleverest one ever!

California is so large and diverse, and has many things that represent it, but wonder if there'd be a way to represent an earthquake fault line or an earthquake. Maybe glue or pin lots of dollhouse furniture and little cars hanging from strings on a hat and have her shake her head so it all shakes and flies all over the place? Okay, lame, I know!

Or do something with lots of little race cars for the Indianapolis 500?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Rain gear...galoshes, raincoat, umbrella for Washington. Mardi Gras masks, beads for Louisiana.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

When I was in Seattle, they sold t shirts that said, people in Seattle don't tan....they rust!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How about dressing up in a big hat like the ladies wear for the Kentucky derby? Maybe a wreath of roses too....mint julep....

Dorothy and toto from wizard of oz for Kansas?

Clam for Rhode Island?

Lobster for Maine?

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

How about a yellow leotard and tights, a green coat/wrap, and a silky tassle hat. She's corn . . . from Iowa.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Cyn mentioned the Derby for Kentucky....go for a Derby Hat. They can be fun and creative.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gorgeous Derby Hats

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Here are some fun Derby hats that teens might enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Funny Derby Hats

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I think a big key to a successful costume or theme outfit is comfort, so keep that in mind.

I can't wait to hear which state she picks and what she wears.

ETA:
    Yes, please share the homecoming dresses, too. We'll vote if she needs help deciding. (Just what every teen wants, unsolicited advice from strangers who are old enough to be her Mom and even Grandmom.)

This post was edited by hhireno on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 9:52

• golddust
    10 years ago

All good ideas above. Don't forget California. She could be a Gold Miner, a Logger, a hippie, with flowers in her hair or dreadlocks and Patulli Oil. (Wonder if there are dreadlock wigs... It is Halloween.) She could be a hiker in the Sierra's. Moving down South, she could even be a celebrity (yawn).

Good luck! I want to know what she decides to be.

Three dresses for Homecoming? Wow. What is in these days?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, I love the corn idea! So cute! Actually, lots of great ideas.Waiting for a picture once she decides!

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

Coming from the first in the nation state, New Hampshire, how about a suit and carry a "X" for President sign?

• dedtired
    10 years ago

A Maryland Crab? A big heart for Virginia (is for lovers)?

Where is Mt Rushmore? Maybe pics those presidents to represent whatever state that is? (no offense, I am geographically challenged)

A meth cooker for New Mexico? Having Breaking Bad withdrawal here.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    10 years ago

New Jersey!!! Hahahahahahaha!!! Love it!

Skibby

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    10 years ago

New Jersey!!! Hahahahahahaha!!! Love it!

Skibby

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are all very creative.

This week is spirit week and DD being a senior she is all into it.

They have to decorate their cars. Due to rain that is being done tonight. Monday was senior dress up day so a fancy dress was needed. Today is 50 state day. This one they had not done before. Also this week is 10 year day where you have to dress up as what you will look like in 10 years. There is a unity day (anti bulling) where they will all wear the same colors. Then there is green and gold day where they all go crazy covering their whole bodies in green and gold. Thursday night is an informal dance and then Saturday is the big formal dance. Whew, I'm exhausted and out of money.

I know you want to know what she wore today. I feel bad saying this but she ended up wearing (had to buy) a New York yankees shirt and hat. We are not even fans!
    She did read over all the ideas and said she is just burned out. Attempted california last night but this morning the ease of NY won out.

She did come up with a clever idea for 10 year day. Sounds like most are dressing as their career choice. Healthcare people wearing lab coats, etc. Aspiring to be an occupational therapist seemed boring to dress as. DD happens to be somewhat of a track and field star and is dressing up as an olympic gold medal winner.

I'll post back any unique ideas that show up.

Thank you all for posting.