Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancybee_2010

My dog was sprayed by a skunk last night...

nancybee_2010
10 years ago

Hi all, just wanted to share a first time experience for us! Our beagle ran outside last night and was sprayed by a skunk! We didn't know what had happened and she ran back inside. We bathed her and she's not too bad except around the muzzle.

But our house stinks to high heaven! I have all the doors and windows open, the fans on. It's cold and rainy so that's no fun. I think I'm going to have to get some rugs cleaned, and I had to throw some things away.

Has this happened to any of you? I had no idea how bad the skunk smell is up close!

Comments (20)

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Oh yes......That happened to me . My dog was barking in the middle of the night to go out so I got up ,opened the door and went back to bed. Maybe 3 min. later she came running in and pounced on the bed (it was more like my head). I almost lost it.
    She was a 85 lbs dog that never liked getting in the tub.
    I ran the water and looked her in the eye "you're getting in that tub !"
    Then left to get the shampoo.
    When I returned she was in the tub...First time ever on her own.
    You can never imagine how bad the smell is 'till it's freshly sprayed and in your face.
    Not at all like the smell when it's just in the air.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Oh you poor thing.

Laughing at myself because when I first read the title I thought it said "My dog was spayed by a skunk".

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol, red lover!

forboys, it's awful, isn't it? A couple times I felt like I was going to throw up!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Had this happen this past spring to us for the first time. My poor little pup - it scared her to death! I grabbed her up - the spray just hit her up around her neck - one side. We bathed her immediately and used baking soda, then her regular shampoo. But yes, the house was worse. Airing out will help more than anything. The smell didn't settle into anything other what she touched right off - like my shorts and t-shirt - right through to one spot on my bra - which I could not get the smell out of - threw it away. Tee and shorts were cotton, finally got rid of the smell on those. I used some of those smell absorbing jars and some odor spray we bought at the pet supply store. It took a couple of days and then just a lingering slight smell for about a week. Open doors/windows as much as you can and run fans.

tina

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

For days, no matter where I would go I'd smell it.
    I would ask my friends if I smell like skunk.
    I didn't smell like skunk.....
    It was just entrenched in my nose..

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Oh no, so sorry! It's never happened to my dog, but I've never even seen a skunk around here.

It's happened to my BIL's dog at least three times. First two times were at MIL's house in a suburban neighborhood south of San Francisco. He now lives IN the city in a row house and it just happened again a couple of weeks ago. I was cracking up that he can't seem to get away from skunks even in the city.

Hope you can get rid of the smell soon.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Oh yes. Skunks and porky pines were the worst experiences ever. My old dog had to have the quills removed surgically.

I'm sorry about your house smell. It's bad, I know.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Tomato juice ~of course you'll need a lot of it~ will get rid of skunk spray odor.
    Lynn

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

"porky pines" - Gold, that's awesome!

Our dog was sprayed right between the eyes. My vet said to use a paste made out of baking soda and vinegar. Rub it in and let it sit until it quits bubbling then repeat as long as you can still smell it.

The problem was that I didn't want that mixture to get in her eyes so I know I didn't get it all. She smelled like burning rubber for months. We got used to it after a while and one day just notice she didn't smell bad anymore. Poor girl didn't get kisses for weeks!

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

You have my sympathy - living on a farm we encounter them all too frequently, fortunately never with a direct spray.
    I remember once having a litter of 3 babies close by and the kids were curious if babies could spray - yes they can!

Here's a link to a flyer with info and a recipe for clean-up.
    Unfortunately it says periods of high humidity can reactivate the odor.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://icwdm.org/publications/pdf/skunk/skunkodorremoval.pdf

• Irish2
    10 years ago

I can still remember when our lab & golden got sprayed.
    We did just about what has already been stated but I
    would say that what got the horrid smell out of the house
    was the "Natural Magic Odor Absorbing Gel"...found it at
    Home Depot at that time. Good Luck!

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for the sympathy and the advice. I am trying everything!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Happened to us maybe 3 years ago. At the time DH had NO sense of smell (has since had surgery to remove nasal polyps). So he let the dog in, and the dog rolled all over two rugs, rubbed herself against DH's coat that was draped on a kitchen chair, eventually made her way to the other side of the house where I was, and I almost passed out from the fumes! Long story short, it took days for her to smell better, even with multiple baths, and it took WEEKS for the house to smell normal again. This happened in January when it was 20 degrees out so it was impossible to keep the windows open. We sent out the rugs to be cleaned, and I purchased every bad-smell-elimination product on the market! I had bowls of baking soda all over the house, those smell absorbing things from the hardware store, potpourri, you name it.

Then about a month later, our other dog got sprayed. Caught her in time, though, and she spent a night in the garage and that time, we took her to PetSmart to get a skunk bath, which worked much better than our homemade bath (recipe found online -- hydrogen peroxide, dish sops, I forget what else).

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

That skunk spray is in the form of an oil so once it gets absorbed by the hair and skin - there's no getting rid of it until the hair falls out and the skin sloughs off.

So if you haven't gotten rid of the smell by now, it's probably too late.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

This happened to our poor dear Maggie doggie quite a few years ago. She's gone to Doggie Heaven for five years now. I wish I could remember what my hubby ordered online that shipped overnight because that stuff worked like a miracle. It was in an all white plastic bottle with black lettering. I'll see if I can find it via a search and link you if I do. Seems it was named something like "Skunk Out".

I was close if I'm correct, and the bottle sure looks familiar, it was Skunk Off. We got a combo of the spray (first one) and the shampoo (fifth one down). Both are almost five stars and have quite a few reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skunk Off

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. She is fine now but still has a bit of the skunk smell, esp. if you get up close. I can't imagine what it must have smelled like to her and to all of your dogs with their heightened sense of smell!!!

Last night she just went out once and quickly did her business and came right back in! Usually at night she does that I want in, I want out, I want in, I want out thing from about 7-10.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Nancy, I thought the same thing with our dear Maggie. On top of that we put her in the basement overnight. I was heartbroken and so was she. I talked to her through the door telling her we loved her and was getting something to help the smell. She was so good when we were treating her and bathing her knowing we were trying to help her. Gosh I still miss her!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I need to get some of that Skunk Off and have on hand. Here, we had never seen a skunk in our area until this summer. We saw a family heading out down one side of our property - across the street into the woods. This was the night our little town had fireworks. Apparently the sound ran them off. It was a few days later that our pup encountered a skunk. We were told it was because of all the rain we had this spring/early summer - a very uncommon event for us. Apparently the rain and softer ground made it easier for skunks to find grubs - one of their favorite things to eat!!! We searched all around our house and property to see if we could tell that any were living here. We could not find any evidence. However, there is a neighbor down the road that has a gazebo that is raised up a bit off the ground, and we wondered if they might have made a home there. We've not seen one again since the spraying incident and hope we don't!

Our pup rubbed against me, then jumped on our bed and rubbed all over her blanket. Her little eyes watered something awful. They try to rub it off, I guess.

Oh the baking soda/peroxide/dish soap mixture - I was afraid to use peroxide because the mixture could somewhat bleach the fur and my pup is solid, jet black. The baking soda worked well. We bathed her twice and then she was groomed a couple of days later. Every now and then for a couple of weeks, if she got wet - you could faintly smell the skunk odor.

• amj0517
    10 years ago

Our Rocky got it twice. The first time he was soaked in the face and it took so long to get rid of the smell. Thankfully, when he got it the second time his memory kicked in because he backed away as soon as he realized what happened, so it didn't take nearly as long for the smell to go away.

When the skunk first sprays it actually smells like burning rubber, which surprised me. We made the mistake of letting Rocky in the house while saying, "What's that smell?" That was the first time, of course.

Good luck. The smell will go away.... eventually.

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

Ugh, sorry to hear of your skunk incident. We had all too many of those when we lived out in the country where we had two big (outside only) dogs.

The first time they got sprayed was the worst. I bathed each dog using multiple large 40+-oz cans of tomato juice. On our Rottweiler/Catahoula mix, it tinged his speckled gray fur w/ an orangish tint. Even worse, on our blonde Chow, the tomato juice literally "permed" her straight, fine fur, esp all along her tail, making her tail, in particular, frizzy-looking--plus it tinged the almost-white fur on her chest to a lovely pale orange! They looked so bad--and most of all--it didn't even touch the smell!!

Thankfully, they finally learned not to challenge the skunks!