Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

milk question

ms-thrifty
10 years ago

We buy 1% milk at our local Albertsons market. Usually the sell by date is about 4 days past the date we get it. In the last three or four weeks we are finding that by the sell by date it is beginning to smell strange. after that date it gets worse every day. doesn't smell like spoiled milk, and DH put it in his cereal with no ill affects, but I found the smell too bad to try it. By about the second or third day past sell by date we have had to dump it. Last time DH took it back on the first day after the sell by date. They gave him another one at no charge, but failed to answer the question as to why milk is smelling strange so soon after purchase, and by the sell by date on it.

anyone read anything about this or had any expriences milk recently?

Comments (23)

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I notice this kind of problem more in the summer. In the colder months my milk lasts a long time past the expiration date. In the summer it barely makes it to the expiration date. I've attributed it to the milk being in suboptimal temperatures longer in the summer - during transportation outside of the refrigerated area. If I were you I'd be inclined to buy a different brand or at a different store and see if your experience is better. Somebody's process may be to leave it sitting out somewhere that it shouldn't be.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

In our area, they have ultra-pastuerized milk which has a weeks long expiration date...we've not had that issue.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I was told that the lower fat milk does go bad faster then products with more fat.

That's why cream lasts longer then milk.

Our grocery (Publix) usually has skim dated 2 or 3 weeks after the day I buy it. I always buy from the back of the shelf.

ML

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Those close sell by dates seem to be more common when on sale. I'm a big milk drinker (1%) , 2 to 3 gallons a week and will dump on the date without even considering anything odd showing up. But the dates work for me since I use them quickly. There is definitely a difference in the products too. Actually, Albertsons is a bit better than others. We have Safeway and it just doesn't taste as good. Know I should be drinking water, but milk is my thing.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Meant to add that I am seeing more dates closer on other items too. Not only fresh, but boxed, etc. Paying more attention to this than anytime prior. Not sure why this is the case now.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I never use dairy past the expiration date, milk or especially yogurt. They seem to go bad.

Organic milk has a much longer expiration date.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I regularly use dairy past the expiration date. Yogurt tastes fine a month after the best by date.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

We've switched to using only organic milk. As gssciencechick said it last much longer. I'd have to look to be sure, but I think the one I just bought a couple days ago was dated early December. It's more expensive, but since we're not throwing out half a gallon or more we figure we're not spending anymore than we were and we have it when we want it.

Another thing to consider is the age of your refrigerator. I didn't realize that until our first fridge died. All of a sudden our milk was lasting longer. I found out that it was because newer refrigerators are more efficient than older ones.

• ladypat1
    10 years ago

Agree with Gibby. Also, when I had to take milk back 3 times in a row for going bad before expiration date, I really complained. I was told ( and had seen) a new milk manager back there, and he was let go soon after. Sometimes it's all in how they are managing the department, etc.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

So strange -- I've noticed the same. I really only use milk for my cereal and perhaps the very occasional baking. Lately, I've had to dump the last quarter of the jug a few times. I've started using the sniff test as the bottle gets low. Yogurt seems to last a long time and I eat it past the "sell by" date, which I believe is different from a "use by" date?

• springroz
    10 years ago

The milk will take on odd odors if the cow's diet is changed. If the guys let it sit in the warehouse or on the dock and warm up, it will not last as long.

Not to open a can of worms, but I do not understand why the powers that be think picking milk up at the farm, shipping it to a plant, running it through miles of pipes, then shipping it AGAIN is safer than just taking it out of the cow, testing it for bacteria, putting it in a bottle, and selling it to me.

Of course I understand that not everyone has farm access!

Nancy

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I'm not a milk user, never have been. Occasionally, I have cream in the house for cooking. My husband uses milk and half&half so it's his responsibility to keep those stocked for himself. I think all milk smells bad, even a freshly opened carton, so I can't tell when any of those products goes off.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I heard from some friends that farmers in their area are not allowed to sell their milk or eggs. That's just wrong!

• covingtoncat
    10 years ago

Depending on what state you live in it is in fact, illegal to sell milk that has not been pasteurized.

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

I thought this was only a problem we had in our small town rural grocery store. For myself, I only buy Silk milk anymore because it has such a long shelf life. Plus, lactose intolerance runs in our family (all 3 of our adult kids). For my husband I'll buy a quart of skim milk at a time which means a trip to the store every few days.

We have a dairy close by that markets bottled milk in the store (the old fashioned kind my grandma used to get delivered to her door). But that means paying a deposit on the glass bottles, washing them out and getting them returned. They have several flavored milks that are so good in small quantities (pints and quarts) that we don't have to worry about an expiration date. But that's more of a treat than daily use product.

• springroz
    10 years ago

Hilltop, this is what I buy, only I buy it from my butcher, and he does not charge me a deposit on the bottles....he trusts me to bring them back.

You don't live in a town with a college team by that name, do you? I do!!

Nancy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I get my milk from a local dairy-delivered weekly in glass bottles which I return. My main reason for getting it from the dairy is that they do not use antibiotics or hormones on their cows. That is very important to me.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

DS's daughter can't tolerate cow's milk from the grocery store. They live in Chicago and buy twice a month from a farm - grass fed cow, no antibiotics or hormones. Not pasteurized. The farm belongs to a national something and follows strict procedures. When they came to AL to visit, she looked online to find an equal farm and I picked up the day before they arrived since the farm only drives into town (over an hour away) twice a week. The milk comes in huge (and heavy) gallon glass jugs or half gallon jars. You pay a deposit the first time, but can return. When DGD was under 1yo, K mixed about 6 things in with it. Now that she is 1yo, she drinks it straight.

DD2 went to the farmer's market where the AL farm sells to buy goat cheese and butter. Both delicious. DGS drinks Almond milk. We buy organic low fat at our house.

All of these options have a long shelf life.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 19:35

• lilsophie
    10 years ago

Same problem here. I'm always smelling the milk. It does seem to go bad a lot faster. In fact a little while ago I had some cereal, it did have a bit of smell and I thought it tasted a tad odd. So down the sink it goes.....sigh

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I buy Organic Valley milk and unsweetened soy milk. I really like that you can go to their website and find out which farm produced your milk. Their products last a long time on the shelf for me and usually there is 3 or 4 weeks out for the pull date. I started buying their products when I did research about soy milk and found almost all brands are made with soy grown in China. They source only North American organic soy.

I wonder if you who are having more problems are storing milk on the door of your refer? If so, maybe try putting it on the lowest shelf possible in the main part of the fridge. I think sometimes the door is the warmest part of the fridge on some models. Maybe it would make a difference?

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

Springroz - I literally live on a hilltop, thus the name. No colleges nearby.

• lee676
    10 years ago

Peruse the hospital cafeterias, apartments and condos for aging populations, and such and check the cafeterieas. Th'e'll often have "long shelf life" diary and meat itmes, whth a couple of weeks added to the usual expiry date for similar items. Tne taste isn't all that differnet. Call the dairy camany and find if they can distrute them to your cafeteria - or if you Sold under brands like Dairy-Ease and Lactaid.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I have a milkman! The milk is delivered to my vintage milk box every Thursday.

PA is allowed to sell raw milk. Sorry, but I have seen what can happen by drinking raw milk and I cringe at the thought. I used to work for a very large veterinary school and the research about raw milk and what is in it is not pretty. Just imagine if a cow defecates while being milked. That bacteria goes into the milk. My husband works with a woman whose husband is a dairy farmer, milk is essentially free to them. After her daughter was hospitalized and nearly died as a result from drinking the raw milk, they will never use any of it. You can have the milk lightly pasteurized and it will be safe, but it does not last as long as the ultra-pasteurized. Sorry for getting on my soapbox, but it is something that makes me kind of crazy.