Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melsouth_gw

Gone Girl-must've been South Missouri

melsouth
9 years ago

DH read the book last year on his Kindle and didn't like it.
He didn't tell me that when I chose the movie.
Gee, thanks.
We saw it. I didn't much like it either.

Aside from the plot though-
Hollywood has Missourians sounding like they are Deep South southerners.
(With the usual fake, over-the-top, grate-on-the-nerves "southern" accents.)

I have relatives from Missouri, and none of them sound like that.

Even if the movie had been set in Mississippi where people actually have heavy southern accents...those accents were just...no.

Comments (21)

• allison0704
    9 years ago

You're the only person I know that has seen it that didn't like it. DS, DH and my hairdresser have all read the book as well. I enjoyed the movie.

I don't have relatives in Missouri, but friends, so I've been to southern part of the state. Just like here in Alabama, and all southern states, there is a variety of accents, so theirs did not bother me.

• User
    9 years ago

I liked the movie. I've always liked Rosamund Pike.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Haven't seen the movie, but didn't like the book much so will probably wait for an HBO or Direct Tv release. Fake southern accents always grate on my nerves. Hollywood almost never gets it right.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

DD and I saw the movie the other night, and liked the storyline, but hated the ending. Haven't read the book.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I was disappointed in the book. We rarely watch movies, so probably won't see the movie either.

• Patty C
    9 years ago

I found the book to be a great read until the end; I hated the ending. Just saw the movie tonight and was disappointed, which often happens when I've already read the book. DH hadn't read the book and thought it was OK.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I've been to southern MO. many times (on the AR. border, Ozarks) and boy do they have an accent. lol

I'll need to see the movie to compare, but I do agree, Hollywood tends to go overboard.

• User
    9 years ago

I agree that Hollywood usually gets the accents completely wrong. Completely. I refused to see Inglourious Basterds because Brad Pitt's accent in the trailer was just so stupid I couldn't listen to it.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Ironically, Brad Pitt is from Missiouri. Went to MU.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I think he is from Springfield. This movie was filmed in Cape Girardeau. The locals (I grew up in Southern Illinois) were tickled pink :-)

I enjoyed the book and the movie. It was on my kindle for about a year before I finally read it. After a few chapters it was more interesting.

I thought Rosamund Pike was better than Ben Affleck.

• kristine_ca
    9 years ago

I hadn't read the book, but DH and I both liked the movie. The actors I found most interesting were the women who played Ben Affleck's sister and the lead detective on the investigation. I thought they were great.

• melsouth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I enjoyed the movie at first, but it fell apart for me about 2/3 of the way through.

It's funny about accents--I can't deny I have a southern one, but I refuse to believe it's anything like that canned thing that Hollywood so often uses.
    I might be in denial, though.

DH and I were vacationing last year in the beautiful northeastern U.S., and some folks had trouble understanding us.
    We didn't have any trouble understanding them at all!
    ;)

Interestingly, my Missouri cousins say they are from the Midwest; they poke fun at us southerners.
    All in good fun, of course.

I think Rosamund Pike is great, too, and I agree that she outperformed Ben Affleck.

• User
    9 years ago

I thought Ben Affleck's lazy affect was the perfect foil to her intense crazy.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I didn't like the book at all and won't see the movie since I seldom go to the movies.

The only movie that I have ever seen that was, imo, as good as the book was Water for Elephants. The movie characters were so close to how I imagined them in my head.

• Charlee_MO
    9 years ago

Haven't seen the movie or read the book. I am from Southeast Missouri and I do have a very southern accent. ;)

The movie was filmed in part only 50 miles N. of where I live.

I sound like my DMom. :)

• quilly
    9 years ago

Read the book last year and saw the movie yesterday. I thought the film was well done and the casting director did a fantastic job - especially with the Amy, the sister and detective.

Just like the book I found the film hard to enjoy. I felt no sympathy for the main characters and the premise is unsettling - they deserve each other.

• romy718
    9 years ago

The book was highly recommended to me by a friend. It was interesting, then it was boring, then it got interesting again. Then the end. I wished I hadn't read it.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

Enjoyed the book-I actually read it twice, once when it first came out and then again for my book club. The second reading was quite worthwhile; there is more depth in that book than I caught the first time around when the plot twists had me riveted. Lots to ponder in her portrayal of relationships, marriage, appearances v. reality etc. Gillian Flynn wrote a very tight book.

My daughter, who also read the book, and I saw the movie yesterday and liked it a lot. Mild spoiler: we both thought the film portrayed much more of a hero/villain dynamic between the lead characters than was the case in the book. We also thought it was quite well cast and well acted in all the major roles.

Ann

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Loved the book, liked the movie.

What surprised me most in the movie was how big the Dunn's house was. For some reason I pictured it more modest.

ML (born in St. Louis' moved south when I was 7. lots of cousins still in St. Louis. They sound like New Yorkers to me...)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Didn't read the book but saw the movie yesterday afternoon, it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, what a twisted story !! very entertaining and well cast indeed.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Read the book--found it interesting enough at the beginning, but it got tiresome in the last quarter...the surprises became expected, and I really didn't like how it ended. Won't see the film.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm