Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Inexpensive flatware available open stock

ILoveRed
10 years ago

The last time I purchased flatware, I purchased it at SAMs Club. 12 place settings and pretty darn nice for the price.

This was several years ago. A couple of weeks ago I realized that I was down to 6 teaspoons. This after one of my boys was caught tossing a fork into the trash with his paper plate (twin 11 yr old boys). So, now I know.

I thought this would give me an excuse to replace my flatware with the Crate and Barrel "Coutoure" line that my oldest dd has that I have coveted. Open stock and I can replace pieces as needed.

DH said I was nuts if I spent that much on flatware while our boys are still young and not so easily trained.

So.....please give me suggestions on reasonably priced, decent looking, OPEN stock flatware. Crate and Barrel is too rich for my blood.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Do you have a Target nearby? One of our kids bought dishes and flatware there when he set up his apartment. Not positive about open stock, but I know he was able to handle the pieces before he purchased, and he was happy with the prices.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

I went to Target and bought open stock spoons to supplement mine that had disappeared or been fed to the monster that lives under the sink. They are a simple design that fits the bill for now. Perhaps this would be an option for you. Or at least if you buy a new set, get ones that compliment the current ones to give you extra pieces for future mishaps.

Funny story along this line. We had several sets of the Tupperware bell tumblers in the red/blue/yellow/green option. I got organized when the kids were at college and realized that a few were missing. I sent them a picture of the set with cups missing and asked where the other cups were They thought I had lost it, but did get a kick out of it. Neither fessed up to knowing the location of the missing cups though.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Mmonof2,
    I did the same thing with regard to Pyrex lids and containers, complete with measuring tape in photos so they could see dimensions. Got the same response that you did, LOL.

Then I received an elaborate set of Pyrex for Mother's Day about six months later.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have a Target nearby, but I do have one an hour away. I can check there.

Wal-mart has some open stock stuff but it's pretty flimsy.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Have you checked consignment store/goodwill/flea market/yard sale? I furnished our lake house kitchen with very high quality flatware this way. I ended up miing two 8 piece setting but I think it matches our eclectic stoneware perfectly.

• User
    10 years ago

I saw some at Bed Bath & Beyond on my last visit.

One of my favorite NYC shops - Fishs Eddy - also sells open stock flatware starting at 99cents.
    Their shipping policy is linked at the bottom of their site.

Our thrift shops don't have much in the way of flatware because of all of the crafters that use them for various projects.

My daughter bought some of the WM open stock for the same reason and it gets abused, thrown in the dishwasher, etc with no problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fishs Eddy Open Stock Flatware