Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

The Chinese consider the #4 to be bad luck

neetsiepie
10 years ago

And our address has 2 4`s in it! This morning I had just sat down with a cup of coffee to watch the morning news before getting ready for work. BOOM! Explosions and more booms and the power went off.

A car hit the power pole next to our house. Driver is ok, but we`re powerless and our driveway is blocked by emergency vehiclea and power co rigs.

This happens every couple years to that corner!

We had the tree down last month. And we get more than our fair share of activity at our house-from fights by teens to police activity to hit or stray animals. At or in front of our house! And we live in a good neighborhood-just must be a weird vortex at our house. I need to do some serious feng sui when we relandscape I think!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Glad no one was hurt!

I have always found numbers interesting. A quick wiki search and I found lots of marvelous things about the number 4.

Four is the number of nucleobase types in DNA and RNA.

The four elements of alchemy are earth, water, air and fire.

Almost from prehistoric times, the number four was employed to signify what was solid, what could be touched and felt.

In Judeo-Christian symbolism the tetragrammaton is the four-letter name of God.

And for us design geeks ...

Most furniture has four legs - tables, chairs, etc.

At the risk of sounding 'out there' - maybe those fours are offering a protective vortex from worse mayhem?

Here is a link that might be useful: 4

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Well most cars have 4 wheels so maybe that is why we have so many accidents ;)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Do you live on a corner? Our house when I was a child was on a corner and we had at least one accident per year there, sometimes more. We also experienced several break-ins and the house was in a normal, middle-class neighborhood, not a high crime area. I learned from living there to never buy a house on a corner of through streets.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, we`re not on a corner. There is a cul-de-sac directly across from our house, so maybe that is the cause! Like the bottom of the horseshoe where all the luck pours out.

Its just so odd. I know of people who have the most uneventful lives-and it just seems that there is always some sort of excitement in ours. And this house in particular seems to attract more energy.

• jrueter
    10 years ago

Our anniversary is April 4 (4/4) and a Chinese friend was so worried for us when she found out! Well, we are coming up on our 22nd anniversary this spring, so for us it has been nothing but a blessing I would guess that your corner location has more to do with your experiences than the numbers in the address.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

OMG Pesky, what a bother that must be! I'm just glad they didn't hit your house! As for the number 4, it's actually my lucky number. I was born on 2/4 . . . February 4th and four has always brought me very good luck. I had no idea that the Chinese considered it bad luck. Interesting, but so NOT bad for me (LOL)!

• amicus
    10 years ago

My husband is Chinese and when we built our home 33 years ago, he wanted to ensure that our address wouldn't contain any fours. As the sound of the number four is similar to the sound of the word 'death,' in Chinese, it is considered to be unlucky. We live in a suburb north of Toronto that is similar to San Franciso and Vancouver and has a very high percentage of Asian residents. So DH didn't want to own a house that would be very difficult to sell eventually.

We will probably retire and downsize in a year or so. Our address is #99 which sounds like 'long lasting' in Chinese and is therefore considered to be lucky. Eights are the luckiest number as the sound of 'eight' in Chinese sounds like 'great wealth/prosperity.' People selling homes with an eight in the address in our city can get a higher price when selling!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Picky, that is very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Pesky, good luck. We have also had the utility pole at the end of our driveway hit, of course, on the coldest night of the year.

• withoutanh
    10 years ago

We recently sold my parents' home and had the address legally changed because it had two 4's. House is in the SF Bay Area and that was the first suggestion the realtor made.

Sara

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

OMG, that's fascinating Pickyshopper! I had no idea that some cultures feel strongly about certain numbers. I'll have to tell DH, whose birthday is February 8th, that his is a lucky number. It's always been lucky for him, though.
    Lynn