Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Should I buy photoshop?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Right now, if I want to superimpose things on a photo of a room, I have to take screenshots and layer them into a word doc. It's clumsy and it doesn't work at all for some things, like paint color.

How long is the learning curve? What else will i do with it?
Our current project involves every room in the house, so maybe it is worth it just for that?

Comments (29)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I'm a graphic designer and have been working almost everyday in PS for at least 17 years now and I only know a fraction of what PS can do. It's a ridiculously complicated, powerful, mind-bending program.

I'm not sure about the details but Adobe is offering Photoshop "Cloud" (and all of their programs) for a $20 per month fee. Basically, it's a membership where you use the software and store files completely online.

So you don't mind paying for a program where you will only be using the very tip of the tip of the iceberg, then go for it. It's very fun!

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Photoshop Elements is very reasonable - usually at Costco for about $60. It will do all that you mentioned and a ton more. It's no where near as complicated - as Kelly said, mind-bending! - as the full Photoshop but there will still be way more than you'll likely ever use. There are lots of tutorial videos on Youtube to help you accomplish what you want.

• roobear
    10 years ago

You could pay for Photoshop, or download Gimp which is free, and essentially similar to Photoshop. Both programs have their advantages/disadvantages when using them, there are some tools I prefer in Gimp, and some in Photoshop, but both do a lot of the same things.

A while ago I actually made some video tutorials for using Gimp (cause it was free) for decorating "Photoshopping" photos. How to erase/add objects to a room, how to change paint colors, etc. With either program, there is a learning curve as they have very in depth functions, but you don't have to learn all of the functions of the programs to use it to change photos.

• amj0517
    10 years ago

I second PS Elements and YouTube. I have trouble with it when I know what I want the finished product to look like, but I don't know the terminology behind it. Youtube helps in those cases.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, I may try Gimp. One thing that concerns me with PS is that i might get sucked into spending hours and hours with it. Not that that is like me or anything ...

• awm03
    10 years ago

Also take a look at PaintShop Pro x6. I started using it for my photos and am venturing into graphics too. Version 6 just came out recently, so Version 5 is steeply discounted right now -- $25 at Amazon.

Is there a steep learning curve? Yes. So buy an instruction book, watch tutorials at Youtube and around the web, and be patient. But it's fun learning new skills, and useful too.

Kellyeng, I always marveled at your home decorating mock-ups. You're a pro -- so that explains it! You do such beautiful work.

Here is a link that might be useful: PaintShop Pro

This post was edited by awm03 on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 14:43

• moonshadow
    10 years ago

awm, I'm like you. I scored PSP 6 (the original 6 from back in the day) for $10 at a store because the rep left a couple copies behind when he put the newest version out. I saved over $100 and used it heavily for years yet to this day haven't scratched the surface of what it will do. (I actually prefer it over Adobe, but that's just me.)

I have been so overloaded with real life it's been years since I did anything virtual for anyone here, but back when I did what I ended up using mostly for 'virtual paint' was software CDs from retailers. Lowes, Benjamin Moore and Pittsburgh all sold a software CD for under $10. Super easy to use. I used Lowe's the most, because of more color variety, typically used BM for reds. I honestly don't know if they still even sell these, but if they do, it would be an easy and inexpensive place to start strictly for color. It can't be used to choose a color by name, because monitors and video cards will render differently. But it can absolutely tell you what won't work, and when you find colors that do, that leads you to the real paint swatches with a much more narrowed field of choices. Not nearly so overwhelming!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Photoshop is so complicated. You cannot even imagine....
    I use a simpler program for most things and only use PS when I need something specific from it. As a general program for this and that, no.

It's like if you wanted some mozzarella and I gave you a cow.

• awm03
    10 years ago

moonshadow, PaintShop Pro revamped the program about two years ago (X4, X5, & now X6). The latest version is 64 bit, and boy is it fast.

I wanted to learn photo post processing and to create better photo manipulations for the forum here, i.e., beyond MS Paint. I tried Gimp & Paint.net, but found learning from the video tutorials & forums too piecemeal, or too cursory, or irrelevant to what I wanted to do. I needed start-from-square-one, sequential, step-by-step instruction. So when Corel redesigned PSP and was practically giving it away to get people to try it, I got it along with a book to explain the basic concepts & how to do things. It was a steal of a deal compared to Photoshop -- about $70 for software & book.

But it hasn't been a quick process to learn the kind of photo manipulation you want to do for the home deco forum. Frankly, I think image manipulation software is much harder to master than desktop publishing or word processing -- it acts so differently than the MS Office products we're accustomed to. For example, copy and paste becomes a multi-stepped operation with various decisions to make. Selecting an object to copy takes practice to do well. Feather? Range? Smoothing? Heck if I know what those things are! Paste as a new selection? Paste in a new layer? What's the difference, and how do these work wrt what I'm trying to do, etc...

Though I've enjoyed the journey, it has been a bit of a slog, finally coming together now after two years. It's been fun using home deco forum posts to practice changing wall colors or to do redesigns.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Awm03, very kind of you to say! Deco mockups are kind of relaxing to do. I guess because it's not actually work. Your perspective on how these programs work is so interesting. I've been using graphic editing & desktop publishing software for well over 20 years. I can't stand using Word. If I have to type a letter, I use InDesign.

I have a client who is a hobby photographer and he purchased Photoshop exclusively to use for photo manipulation. We would have impromptu lessons over the phone regularly. Both of us would have our programs open and I guided him step by step with whatever he was trying to achieve. It was so funny when we would finish a process - he acted like he just performed a magic trick!

Anyway, Mtnrdredux, if you are tenacious (I'm pretty sure you are) I think you would have a lot of fun with it. Learn some easy simple tricks up front - and you'll be hooked.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

I taught myself photoshop just by playing w/ the program (no book, no lessons) and really enjoyed using it to do design mockups (you probably remember my drawings of the kitchen when it was in the design phase).

I find it to be really fun to use. There's a definite learning curve and I'm sure lots of features I still don't use but it is really cool all the things you can do with it. But it is VERY easy to get sucked into spending a lot of time playing with the program.

This post was edited by beaglesdoitbetter on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 23:43

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about any of these things, I just wanted to say Bumblebeez I love the mozzarella and cow comment.

Carry on.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

DO NOT download Gimp. It has about 5 malwares attached to it and cannot get rid of anything.

Roobear, you have made my computer a mess going to that link. Am now having to do a major clean up and reinstall of software programs. Your only apology for this would be to tell me how to resolve without spending half the day on the computer hoping I don't remove something important.

• moonshadow
    10 years ago

But roobear didn't offer a link...did you google & download from a 3rd party site or gimp.org? I'm kind of curious why you're 'cleaning up and reinstalling software programs' ? Anywho, try Malwarebytes, it's a freebie download used by tech geeks for years. (And is commonly used as additional armor aside from whatever antivirus program is installed.) Launch the program, under Scanner tab do Full Scan. It might take a long time but it's a good deep scan.

Side note for continued use: It will say it's a trial version. It's not necessary to purchase the "Pro" version for continued use. I installed the freebie again on my newest PC 18 months ago and still use it. It automatically updates the malware database as soon as I launch the program. Or can be done manually. So if you want to keep using it just keep the malwarebytes database updated.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

Gimp has been around since the 1990's and has a 5 star CNET editors rating, so not sure what you downloaded technicolor.

Here is the CNET download and description link:
    http://download.cnet.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10073935.html

Don't think roobear did anything wrong here...

• roobear
    10 years ago

Technicolor, sorry to hear you're having issues, I actually didn't offer a link to any software, but agree that downloading any software from a software companies actual site or a site that is usually pretty safe like cnet is best. If that's what you did, I would suggest contacting the software company themselves and alert them of any downloading issues and or questions/concerns regarding your computer's issues..

Personally I've never had an issue downloading or using Gimp, always from their site only. The program has been around for a while, and I have used it for a few years without any issues. Having my degree in Motion Graphics/Web Design and years experience in Graphic Design from Art and Design schools, I have used image manipulation software like Gimp, different Adobe products including the Macromedia products they own now, and some 3D animation software for years now. I've used Photoshop since it's second release in 1991.

To note, the interface for Gimp and Photoshop are different and will take some getting use to. I much prefer Gimps transformation tools (perspective, scale, etc.) to Photoshops when adding images into a photo. I think Photoshop has a better healing tool, although I believe Gimp offered theirs first. I did this picture using Gimp, which just illustrates that you have the ability to do similar stuff with Gimp as you do with Photoshop.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0513400014985.html

• mjlb
    10 years ago

Roobear - I'd LOVE to watch your Gimp training video! Can you provide a link? I knew only a bit of photoshop, and had a student license. When that expired, I got Gimp, and I've not progressed much beyond the basics I knew of photoshop. Would love to learn more.

• roobear
    10 years ago

Mjlb, I wasn't sure if the videos were still there, but as it turns out all 18 are. It looks like you can watch them without having to download them now too, so that's nice. I would make them full screen when watching, and they are numbered as to the order, the first few are more about the basics of the program, the tools and user interface, the rest are about how to do specific functions with the program. I'm not sure how helpful they'll be, I may have gone a little fast in the tutorials, being so comfortable with the program, but you can always pause and rewind.
    Gimp for Decor Videos

• mjlb
    10 years ago

Great - thanks roobear!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. I will consider these options with care.

When we did our stonehouse project, I really needed to see an elevation in order to spec a roof pitch that would work with the sleeping loft and bookcases, yet not look out of place with the other structures on the property. So used Sketchup. The first time I d/l it, I think I was up until 4am making it do what I needed.

So I really need to think about this!

But I think Gimp and the tutorials are prob the way to go for me.

PS Sorry for anyone helping who got caught in a maelstrom here.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Sorry guys, I am just so mad about this. Went online to see what others are doing and there are many on forums having the same issue and nothing seems to get rid of the mess. They are trying everything mentioned....I have scanned and restored, but it is still there. The only thing left is to hit the registers and hope I don't delete something important. Believe me, the garbage will not go away.

I just didn't think about something like this, went to what I saw as the GIMP website. It must be so popular (a good thing) that the bad ones are using it as a go to for messing with us.

And, the reason I wanted to try it was because I love my old Elements. But cannot use it or my 4 yr version. Photoshop no longer recognizes the software codes to reload. They keep wanting the "Try our monthly rate" deal.

I'm old, used both the original PhotoShop and Corel. Taught CAD and Graphics to engineers for years before we even had PCs.

All of the above is why I am probably so grumpy about this mistake. My primary need for a graphic software is using it with RAW photos.

And hope you all have fun with graphics software. It actually may be easier for you than me in learning the new software. I keep expecting things to stay the same....having to hunt something down that I know exists wears me out.

Yes, I have had my daily nap.

• mjlb
    10 years ago

Roobear, I've already watched two videos (out of order, naturally) -- they're very helpful -- thanks again.

• User
    10 years ago

"It's like if you wanted some mozzarella and I gave you a cow."

Omg, this is the best comment ever on GW. I am an analogy person,,,, this one is PERFECT! Take a bow, bumble!

• awm03
    10 years ago

I'm saving beez' great comment for reuse at appropriate conversational moments :)

A tech friend mentioned recently that CNET used to be a great site for downloading, but in his opinion had become targeted and now is somewhat dicey to use. This is second hand info from a snatch of overheard conversation, so take it as you will.

technicolor, I'm so sorry for you. Nothing brings you to your knees like a damaged computer. But please don't take your anger out at Roobear. She had no way of knowing, and she's not the malevolent one who infected the download site.

Roobear, I've enjoyed your past mock-ups too. Thanks so much for taking the time to make instructional videos. This should be more publicized, IMO. I think lots of GW'ers would love to know how to do this stuff. Looking forward to viewing your tutorials as many of the skills translate to other software.

mtnrd, have fun learning! Hope you post questions & results here. Maybe we can make a regular thread about beginning photo manipulation, and we can all learn/teach together.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Y'all are too funny!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

"It's like if you wanted some mozzarella and I gave you a cow."

I agree. The best thing I've ever read on GW.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Roobear, I still want to apologize to you personally. It was rude for me to make an assumption. All is well now, without the malware. Heading over to see what you are doing and thanks for taking the time to respond so kindly to me.

• roobear
    10 years ago

Technicolor, no worries, it's very frustrating when things like that happen, and I'm glad to hear your malware issues have been fixed.

Mjib-thanks, glad you find them helpful.

Awm03- thank you for the kind words.

For anyone who might be watching the videos, just something of note, I was watching one of the videos last night and realized that sometimes when I say "right click", I really mean just the normal left click button on the mouse. Apparently I'm not one of those talented people who can walk and chew gum at the same time, or in this case record themselves using a computer program and talk at the same time.

• jrueter
    10 years ago

In case you are still deciding, I just came across Pixlr - free online photo editing tool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pixlr photo editing site