Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Been to Bermuda lately?

Sueb20
10 years ago

We are going next June w/ two other couples, to celebrate my, um, significant birthday. I've been to Bermuda several times, and have stayed at a different place each time. We stayed at the Rosedon and the Hamilton Princess and enjoyed the convenience of being downtown, but we like the experience of being ON the beach more. We stayed at Elbow Beach with our kids, and the last time we went as a couple w/out kids, we stayed at Pink Beach Club, which was fantastic but it is now closed for renovations until 2015.

Any recommendations for a nice, comfortable hotel that is on the beach but not too far from downtown? We aren't likely to want to stay at our hotel for dinner -- we'll want to go downtown or to other hotels' restaurants. DH thinks Cambridge Beaches is too remote.

Comments (10)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I have a friend who lived there until last year; let me ask.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

How exciting, Sue! I havent been so don't have much to add to the thread-- other than to say that you have a great, young spirit so you make me feel better about my own 50th (in April)!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, I almost forgot. Happy 30th!

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

We have been to Bermuda several times. The first time we stayed at the Elbow Beach, the second time was at the Hamilton Princess. The other times have been cruises-Boston/Bermuda. While I think the Hamilton Princess can't be beat for location, if you want something on the beach with access to Hamilton, you can't go wrong with the Elbow Beach Resort. It was recently redone. Here's what TripAdvisor has to say:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g147255-zff10-Bermuda-Hotels.html
    Check out Pompano Beach Club.

Have you ever taken the cruise from Boston?
    So easy and enjoyable. We love it!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It was 30 years ago so I'm sure it's all different, but if you drop a straight line down from Hamilton to the shore, we stayed at a place there. It was an easy walk into Hamilton, but we stayed on the ocean...not sure what's there now....I certainly don't remember the name of the place we stayed. I just remember it was a good location.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

My friend says:
    Oh you know what I would do - the Mandarin has bought the place on Elbow Beach. I've never been in - I think it was recently bought and under renovation??? But we used to go to the beach in the evening a lot for drinks or dinner. It's not so far from town and you can eat right on the beach at Mickey's. You can go from there to all the other beautiful beaches along the South Shore⦠(Warwick Beach, Horseshoe Bay)

She was also checking with a friend who lives there now (my friend moved to CT about a yr ago)

• loribee
    10 years ago

Ditto Bonnie-- we have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise several times and enjoy it sooo much. Good luck with where ever you decide to stay and celebrate that special day!!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all...except for funky, who seems to assume I'm turning 50 but I might not be. I might be 29, you know. (Thanks, mtn.)

Well, our choices were automatically limited by the number of nights we're planning to go, because so many of the hotels have a 4-night min. and we can only do 3 nights. We have been to Elbow Beach with our kids, so in my mind, it's a "family" resort even though it may not be. I have a vision of the place just crawling with kids in June. Anyway, we have decided to stay at the Fairmont Princess in Hamilton, which doesn't meet DH's "on the beach" requirement but I have stayed there before (with girlfriends) and we had a great experience. And I think for our purposes, being downtown near a lot of restaurants and "nightlife" will be a good idea.

It is very rare for us to have a chance to travel with other couples because we all still have young-ish kids, so we are all very excited!

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Good choice! When we stayed there we took the complimentary ferry over the the Fairmont Beach Club. You really have the best of both worlds staying there-proximity to town and the availability of a good beach. It's always fun to have a vacation to look forward to!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

You will have a wonderful time, I'm sure. How nice to have good friends who are willing and able to go on a trip!

I think the thing about Bermuda hotels is, it is an island, and a small one. So there are really no hidden gems. It seems it is always the usual suspects when you go to book!

PS Be careful on those mopeds. They average 35 accidents a day on the island. Don't ask how I know.