Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanny2a

Autumn weekend in Cape Cod?

nanny2a
11 years ago

My sister, brother and I will be spending 4 days in S. Wellfleet next weekend. I know there is a Seafood Festival going on, but in addition to that, would like to do something interesting each day. We have not been there in 40 years - so have no idea what to plan. We will have a car, so can travel to other areas of interest.

For those of you who are familiar with the area, what would you suggest?

Comments (7)

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

We just went to the Cape in June for the first time in about 10 years. And we live in MA!
    Definitely go for a long walk on the beach.
    Have lunch at the Bookstore in Wellfleet. Check out the Left Bank Gallery, too.
    We stayed in Chatham and enjoyed browsing the shops downtown and had a great dinner at the Impudent Oyster.
    I'm sure you'll get other ideas from people who go there more than once every 10 years. I will say we don't consider ourselves "Cape people" but when we were there in June, we were reminded of how pretty it is. There's no place like it!

• bestyears
    11 years ago

No specific ideas, I don't know the Cape well enough, but we spent a week there one Sept. and it was magnificent. Gorgeous weather and no crowds!

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

Go out on one of the boat "cruises" to see (or try to see) whales? If you all are sure you won't be hanging over the edge of the boat for the duration! I'd take a hoodie.

CapeCodToday.com mentions a lighthouse cruise (tho it's an all-day thing), a wine tasting (E. Falmouth) ...

• dedtired
    11 years ago

One time I went on a seal watching tour from Chatham. It was fun and you're not out in the open ocean. Unfortunately, I get seasick easily, so no whale watching for me. Another interesting thing to do in Chatham is to watch the fishing boats unload their catch at the Fish Pier.

Is the Flea Market at The Wellfleet Drive-In open all year? It's held on Saturdays and is fun.

• kgwlisa
    11 years ago

It's not super close to Wellfleet but I LOVE the Sandwich Glass Museum... and Sandwich itself is a charming little town - it's also the last weekend for the walking tour of the town they offer. If you are into that sort of thing and go, I highly recommend you get there early enough to see the glass blowing demonstration... the woman who was there when I went was fantastic and if you go to the last demo of the day, she attempts a very very large piece (often does not work but you get a good discussion about why etc). Anyway I am a real glass person so I loved this.

If you like architecture and lighthouses, I would look into lighthouse tours - there are a ton around here. Not sure what their hours are... Columbus day is kind of the last big hurrah around here before the seasonal stuff closes down for the winter. Not sure if any of the whale watching cruises or stuff like that is going on.

I don't know the cape all that well but I moved to Martha's Vineyard almost a year ago. Fall is my favorite time here but that is because things quiet down! It's beautiful here on the island and might make a nice day trip but a lot of stuff is closed down right now - but there are still walking trails with gorgeous views, downtown Vineyard Haven has a lot of stuff open year round and some of my favorite restaurants are open year round. The ferry ride is also really nice! If you come to the island I can give you some pointers on that.

• goldgirl
    11 years ago

I love Cape Cod, and always enjoy the wildlife sanctuary.

Have a wonderful trip!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

Oh NO! I just saw this now. I hope you had a fun weekend! I live on the Upper Cape and don't know a lot of things to do in Wellfleet. I do love exploring the Lower Cape and adore a good day in Provincetown.

Let us know what you ended up doing!

Beth P.