Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnycottage_gw

Lash extensions, anyone?

SunnyCottage
11 years ago

Just curious if any of you ladies have had lash extensions done, and if so, what your impressions were. I have a few friends who do it regularly and their eyes are gorgeous. One, like me, has very blonde eyelashes and swears by it for ease of getting ready in the morning ... No eye makeup needed. Another friend seems to be hooked, but complains that it's high maintenance and expensive.

I have been having my blonde lashes tinted, and I love not having to wear mascara. I just swipe on a bit of eyeshadow and go in the mornings. The tint, however, doesn't give me longer, fuller, more lush lashes.

Seeking input ...

Comments (30)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I had to look it up, that's how out of the loop I am! lol. They sure are pretty though. But..after reading, if you have healthy lashes, I wouldn't touch the extentions with a ten foot pole.

Ask your friends if they suffered any eyelash loss, which seems to be the main complaint. I know eyelashes are very fragile, they fall out easier than any other hair on our bodies. Apparently when you take the extensions out is when the eyelashes come out, then women have to wear false eyelashes for a few months until their's grow back in.

Eyelash curler and lots of mascara! :)

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not necessarily ... I do have a couple of friends who have gone back and forth with getting their lashes filled and then stopping for awhile. There's been no lash loss (the lash extensions "shed" with the natural lash), and my friends haven't had to wear falsies. But I think it does make a difference where you go, and how experienced the stylist (is that what you'd call them?) is. After reading a lot online and talking to friends, I would really only consider going to one place locally that has an excellent reputation.

I'm just tired of wearing mascara. You wouldn't think that curling the lashes and applying eyeliner and mascara would become a chore every day, but for me, it definitely has. That's what I'm loving about having my lashes tinted. I just don't have to mess with the cosmetics at all if I don't want to.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

How timely, I was looking into that also.
    DD doesn't have them but her friends do, so does my DIL.
    It does look nice, but I'm thinking I wouldn't do them too full,
    a few of DD's friends have them pretty long and they're in their
    30's so I guess the longer the better but for me, I'd try them
    more subdued at first.

I also have to have my permanent eyebrows redone, my pigment is gone, they're pale grey now so I have to use crayon all the time, but at least I have a template, lol...

• chispa
    11 years ago

I've had them done and loved them. I moved so I need to find a new high quality and experienced salon that does them. No issues with natural lash loss. It is great to not have to worry that your mascara has ran and you look like a raccoon!! Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chispa, how long did yours last? I'm sure it probably depends on the individual, since we all have a slightly different "shed" rate, but I've heard 2-3 weeks is about the norm before a fill is needed. Would you agree?

Mitchdesj, I too would want a more subtle look, at least to start out with! The least full set that the place near me offers is called "The Mascara Look", and it looks like long, reasonably full lashes without the "drama" of a fuller set.

• funnygirl
    11 years ago

I was interested in having lash extensions a couple of years ago but also became discouraged after reading that they can cause damage to natural lashes. Instead, I opted for one of the OTC lash renewal serums (Rapidlash at the moment). They do work and once I achieved the length and thickness I was happy with, cut back from daily use to only a couple of times per week (they were actually becoming too long which is why I cut back usage). Just a light coat of mascara is necessary for me to achieve the look I like.

• User
    11 years ago

I hated mascara too because of the smudging, but then I found Blinc mascara and I love it. It forms tubes around each eyelash and doesn't smear or run or come off at all until you rub them off with water at the end of the day. I bought it at Costco but they don't seem to be carrying it any longer so I guess I'll have to order it at amazon. I will never go back to regular mascara! I just hope they keep making it.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Jen, if your friends had no problems, then I'd go to their..lash manicurist?

Now I'm going to start doing a double take when I see women's eyes. :)

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Part of the issue for me in applying liner and mascara is that my close-up vision has gotten so bad that I have to use a magnifying mirror and even then, I don't feel like my application is as precise as it should be. Liner especially smudges or disappears from my eyes after a few hours. Tinting, of course, doesn't give me the look of eyeliner, but because the dye penetrates to the base of the lashes, it does make the lash line appear a bit thicker there. I haven't tried the mascara that forms tubes, but have heard of it. Still ... after having started with the tinting, I don't know that I'll ever go back to having to sit on the (closed) potty lid every morning and face my eyes in magnification! ;-)

I tried an OTC lash serum, but it really irritated my eyes and the constant redness just wasn't worth it to me. Funnygirl, does Rapidlash irritate your eyes?

• funnygirl
    11 years ago

No, I haven't had any problems at all. Also used another brand which I purchased online and had no problems.

If you are prone to skin sensitivity you may want to do a trial w/the lash extension adhesive before doing the full extensions. Please post a follow up if you end up doing this!) Would love to know how you like them.:)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I have used the Blinc mascara, but don't live near any stores that sell it. The mascara I use now is Clinique's Lash Power, and it is similar to the Blinc. It doesn't run, and removes easily with warm water.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I used to do them in my salon as long as 30 years ago. I actually used to do my own with a magnifying mirror, tweezers and a lash kit. You just lay one last strand on top of the real one to extend it. So easy. Yes they last about a month but I'm such a bad sleeper they would get all smushed up lol.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

Ok, I have a weird problem. I've always had long lashes, and they used to be quite full, but have thinned. After I had my eyebrow lift I discovered that my lashes were BENT! They literally lean to one side instead of sticking out straight (and curling up naturally like they used to do).

Any ideas? I tried to apply mascara, but since my lashes leaned toward my nose, it didn't work so well. Also noticed that they'd thinned out a bit, but I think they're growing back, but my lower lashes are really thin.

I hate to admit it, but I've never used an eyelash curler. My lashes used to be so long they'd hit my eyeglasses, so if I curled them they would touch my brows! But I think now that might work. How long do you squeeze it? before or after applying mascara?

Sorry to hijack the thread...i'm going to google eyelash extensions...sounds interesting!

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

I started wearing them about 8 months ago after seeing my SIL, (a blonde), with long, dark and luscious lashes that I knew could not be her own. It�s drastically altered my morning makeup routine - no more time spent fussing with mascara and an eyelash curler. Several people have commented on how long and lovely they are - not realizing they are not my own.

I love them for the ease, convenience and the way they look. After changing my sleeping habits from sleeping with my face mushed into a pillow - I found they last about 3 weeks before a mini fill is needed.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanksy, funnygirl, for the info on Rapidlash!

Yayagal, you must have a very steady hand to be able to apply the lashes to your own eyes! I can just picture eyelashes stuck in my eyebrows if I were to try it on my own. ;-)

Thanks, nanny2a! I'm still considering and pondering. The cost is really what's putting me off most. In my area a "mascara look" (up to 45 lashes per eye) starter set is $250 which includes the first fill, and a basic refill (20 lashes per eye) is $50, half refill (10 lashes) is $30. I'm just not sure about spending that kind of money on eyelashes - but testimonials such as yours certainly keep tempting me. ;-)

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

Tempting indeed !

• chispa
    11 years ago

Mine lasted a month+. I would get them done for a special event/vacation and then not do them again until the next special event months later.

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

Heavens!! No wonder you�re pondering! Here a starting fill is $100, a full fill thereafter $60, and a mini-fill $30. I found that if I go every 3 weeks, a mini fill is enough to keep them full all the time. And they don�t count by the number of lashes applied, a full fill is a 60 minute session, a mini fill is 30 minutes - plenty of time to apply as many as needed. You might shop around and see if anyone else does it for less.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found a (reputable) salon that will do 45 lashes per eye for $150. I called and made an appointment.

Then I thought about $150.

And I called back and cancelled.

I remain intrigued and may still take the plunge at some point, but right now, I just can't justify the money for temporary eyelashes. Perhaps I'll splurge around the holidays, when there are parties to attend. I just can't bring myself to do it right now for "everyday." :-/

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Do you have Groupon or one of those email discount services? Our local Groupon often has discounts for lashes for at least the first appointment. My DIL had them done and they looked wonderful, but she couldn't afford to continue.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Sunny Cottage after reading this thread when you posted it, I went right out and got my blonde brows and lashes tinted. I just wanted to use a pro the first time around and then if I liked it I was going to buy the kit and do it myself.

I was not crazy about the results. I certainly had more than my God given color, but nowhere near what I have if I apply make up. It was nice to have at least some "eyes on" all the time since I rarely bother with make up. The problem is that after one week the dye was significantly lighter, by the second week it was really light, and by the third week it is basically gone. Definitely not enough return for the cost and aggravation of a trip to the salon.

Also, since I rarely wear makeup, I rarely apply soap or make up remover to my "brashes". I was told that any cleaning products or oils removes the dye faster. I can only imagine how short lived the dye would have been if I'd been using make up remover every day!

I'm going to get the dye to do it myself. Perhaps I'll find that worth doing. And maybe the repeated applications will lead to some kind of build up that will last longer.

Just thought I'd throw my experience out there for anyone else that is new to the "brash dying". It may "last" a month on some people, but I'd say it lasted about two weeks on me.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindyloo, I'm sorry the dye didn't last! I'm still tinting mine with the DIY kit and really love it. I can go about a month before I need to touch up. The DIY kit is inexpensive, so not really much to lose if you don't like the results. Just be careful about getting the dye on your fingernails. It is permanent and does not come off, as the two ugly places that look like bruises on my nails will attest.

I've also been using Rapidlash for about a month now, and am not sure I'm seeing a noticeable difference in my lash length. I'm going to continue to use the tube until it's gone, and I hope I do start to see that it's doing something for me soon.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Thanks for the warning about the fingernails Sunny! I've never had that happen with hair dye, so I would have assumed the browlash dye would wash right off as well. I think I'll use gloves now that you've indicated it might stain!

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

I've been using the Rapidlash for about a month now and can't tell any noticeable difference. I'll continue to finish off the tube to give it time, but if nothing happens I'll try the Latisse next.

• Jamie
    11 years ago

I've has the lashes. If it wasn't for the cost I'd do them on a regular basis. I LOVED them. I looked better 24/7. It's a totally different look than mascara.

Well, the cost and this: my eyes are getting dry, sometimes it hurts to open them in the morning, and this happened first and worst right after the lashes. I just don't think I can put chemical adhesives that close to my eye and have no downside.

• Shaun115
    11 years ago

I found a website with some good info on ways to grow eyelashes.

There is some good information on growing eyelashes naturally, as well as reviews of a few of the top eyelash growth products. Lashovee is on there, but it's not the top pick. Actually, the top 2 are under $80.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Eyelashes

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Gail--so glad you mentioned the Blinc mascara. I didn't know about it. I always get my girls this expensive mascara that they love from Australia and this looks like the same thing...Tubes on the lashes.

I just ordered 2 tubes from Amazon! Reviews were great.

Thanks.

• goldgirl
    11 years ago

Sunny - would you mind posting the brand of home tinting product you use? I'm thinking of trying it - my lashes are fairly long, but light. I just changed my hair color from blondish brown to red and would like to make my lashes look a little more dramatic.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Goldgirl, I have used the Godefroy 28 Day Mascara Permanent Eyelash Tint Kit that can be found on Amazon. A couple of weeks ago I did have my lashes professionally tinted, and I know I get better application that way. Still, for a DIY kit, the 28 Day stuff is not bad at all.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

I've been using "NeuLash Eyelash Enhancing Serum" for about four months now and (not to sound like a commercial or anything) the results have been amazing!!

I think the way it works is that it conditions your eyelashes so they don't fall out so fast and just keep growing. Genetically I have very sparse hair. Heck, I shave my legs every three months or so because it just grows so slow. Before the Neulash my eyelashes looked like they were singed by fire because they were just so sparse and stubbly but now they sometimes sweep my reading glasses!

I still need to use mascara but it's just nice to have naturally long lashes.

Also, the Neulash is pricey at $100 a bottle and they say it last just a month but it took me almost three months to go through one bottle.