Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

I'm in Italy!

dedtired
9 years ago

Ciao! Have been in italy for the past two weeks. It is fantastic and I really want to thank those of you who encouraged me to go and helped me with what to pack. I arrived in Rome today and am staying right across frm the roman forum. The past two weeks were spent inTuscany and Umbria. What beautiful countryside! The medieval hilltop towns are breathtaking.

The weather has turned cool and I am wishing I had packed a jacket, but layers work, too. I do kind of resemble the Michelin Man.

Have eaten many fabulous meals and consumed gallons of wine. The people on my tour are nice. Lucky for me everyone on the Rome e tension is particularly nice. There were a few pills with the larger group and we were glad to say goodbye to them. It is a small group, only fifteen people. The guides are wonderful.

I will add more later or when I return. If my iPad lets me do it, I will attach a picture. It is a sunset over Trevi.

Ciao, Bella!

Comments (31)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I was wondering how your trip was going! Beautiful picture and so glad you are having a great time.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Couldn't remember when you were going, but so good to hear you are there and having such a great time. Gorgeous sunset! Can't wait to hear more about your trip. Green with envy!

• Faron79
    9 years ago

WOW!
    That's so cool!
    Are you going to the "Ferrari Area"? ;-)
    Go to Maranello, & grab me some pix there please. PLEASE...?! ;-)

Faron

• blfenton
    9 years ago

In one of the piazzas in Rome there is an amazing little coffee shop that serves the best cappuccinos. `I hope you can find it.

Have a great time.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

So glad you took a few moments from your fabulous vacation to check in with us. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing about your trip. Hope the rest of your trip and the return goes smoothly.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Have a fine time! Since it's cool, I guess you're just going to have to buy a beautiful Italian jacket :) yes, I'm an enabler!

• bac717
    9 years ago

Since you are staying near the Roman Forum, you are not far at all from a fascinating place to visit - Basilica San Clemente. It is a 12th century church, built on a 4th century church which is built on top of a 2nd century pagan temple and below all that is 1st century Roman apartments!!!! You can walk down and see all 3. It's just amazing.

When you were in Umbria, did you by any chance visit the hilltop town of Orvieto?

We were in Italy 2 years ago and just loved everything we saw. So glad you are having a great time. And I know exactly what you mean about drinking gallons of wine.

• Lars
    9 years ago

I'm planning to go to Italy in 2016, and I also plan to underpack so that I can buy clothes while there. I won't go when it is cold, however, as I would not need warm clothes otherwise, but perhaps you will have a use for a beautiful Italian jacket when you get home! Be sure to get some blouses and/or dresses while you are at it, and some shoes and belts. Then you can do a fashion show for use when you get back!

Lars

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will write a trip report when I am home. Just returned from dinner, unfortunately not one of the better meals w,ve had. I think I have gained 25 pounds despite all the walking. We drove by Orvieto, but did not stop. All the charming old towns are starting to run together in my head. The very best day was truffle hunting with dogs. I will tell you more about that and post some pics from home. Here,s a picture of Lucca, where we rode bikes around the top oh the ancient city wall.

Off to bed and it is only 9 here.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure that picture worked! Thanks for all the tips and comments.

Lars, I wish I could afford a beautiful jacket. I have been sporting my Marmot windbreaker. In did buy a scarf at a street fair for two euros.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Lucky you! enjoy!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Italy is lovely at every season, and better the layers than to be sweltering in the heat. Enjoy your trip and have a gelato for me!

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

This is a fantastic little restaurant. Enjoy Rome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Piccolo Arancio

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I am just so glad you are having fun! I cannot believe you took time to let us know how your trip is going! Everything sounds delightful and that is just how it should be!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Ah truffle hunting.........were they the famous Italian truffle hunting breed -the Lagotto Romagnolos?
    I hope you have photos. We're on a wait list for a puppy, although I doubt we'll hunt anything as gourmet as truffles.

Sounds like you're having a fantastic time.

• bpath
    9 years ago

A scarf at a street fair for 2 euros is better than a jacket...good story,and you can wear it any time.

What a fun trip!

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

Have a great time. I ate osso bucco with peas at Il Forno in 1973...it was wonderful ! Hope you post more pics and continue to have a wonderful visit. c

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Quit computing and drink more wine.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

My Aunt & her life long best friends have been in Italy this past week too. She's been keeping us updated with their adventures-today they went to a cooking class! They're in Positano today-not sure where tomorrow will lead, but if you're having half as much fun as she is-you're no doubt having a fantastic time.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

wow -- I'm envious! That's a lot of time to enjoy the sensory overload! :)

• Solsthumper
    9 years ago

Pam, I know you're having the time of your life. So, my wish is to be there, with you. Too self-absorbed?

Aside from vino, drink lots of espresso to keep you going. And don't forget to bring back a bottle of Limoncello. . .for each of us here :)

Btw, today is national Bologna Day. It is cheap cousin Eddie's version of Mortadella. Get the latter.

Sol

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wish i could respond to each of you. Thanks for all the nice comments. I am collapsed on my bed in the hotel after a day of sight seeing. We covered miles of territory. We walked from the Spanish Steps back to our hotel near the roman forum, with much shopping along the way (two more scarves) it felt like the Bataan Death March, but fun. We were rewarded with a gorgeous sunset. Most pics are on my camera not the iPad,. Off to the Vatican and Sistine Chapel tomorrow where we have booked a private tour. For those of you planning a visit, the old adage "bring half the clothes and twice the money" holds true.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Hmph!

I'M still waiting for some pix from Maranello....;-)

Faron

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Dedtired, you lucky duck!! The village looks like a postcard! What tour group did you use? I get emails from several, but it's hard to determine which would be the best one~why did you choose the one you're with? Is it part of a river cruise also? I've been trying to arrange a French river cruise for the last 2 years, but again, it's the indecision of a tour group.

I've been to Venice, but not as part of a tour. Visually, it was an amazing trip, but we found the shopkeepers very unfriendly, poor service as well as restaurants being extremely expensive, and the food disappointing. We weren't sure if it was the specific restaurants we chose, or were all generally bad. We didn't eat in any hotel restaurants, only street side eateries. The accommodation at the Lido were very nice and large~it had been a home turned bed/breakfast. We all thought this gave us the 'real feel' of the area.

Enjoy the days you have left!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Don't forget to toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain!

I went to school on Via Marche, off of Via Veneto, right near the Villa Borghese. La Pieta made me cry.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just catching up with this. I didn't see the Trevi Fountain. It's under repair although I understand you can still walk past it on some sort of scaffolding. Coins prohibited during repairs!

The Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel were mind blowing. Same for The Borghese Gallery. Bernini's sculpture of Apollo andDaphne was beautiful, along with many others. The Borghese Gardens reminded me of a mini Central Park.

After 19 days, I was ready to come home although I miss being so busy and having so much company. I was lucky that the people on my tour were so nice (well, a couple pills).

I've had major jet lag all week.I actually get to have the end of Daylight Saving twice -- once in Italy last week and then again at home tonight. My internal clock will never figure it all out, but I am always grateful for more sleep.

The company is Overseas Adventure Travel. I can't say enough good things about them. I was originally attracted because they do not charge a single supplement, which is a huge plus for me. They limit the number of people on the tour to sixteen, max.

I saw some of the larger tour groups walk by and I would have been miserable with them. Some looked as if there were as many as 60+ people, all following a leader who had to hold up a stick with a scarf or fuzzy duck to be seen by all. One group all wore lanyards with ID cards. Ugh. I understand it takes half an hour to get everyone on or off the bus.

We had a small bus that seated maybe 20 people. Plenty of room for all and it was able to go places a big bus could not. Our drivers were friendly and funny.

The hotels were all lovely and well located. They took us to great local restaurants for meals, which is possible with a small group. Our tour leader was fabulous. Now there is a job I would never want! We got to see and do many things because the company is well connected and because there weren't so many of us.

I gasped when I saw The Pieta. So moving.

Anyway, anyone postponing travel -- time to get out there and do it!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

It all sounds wonderful! I am so glad it was as you hoped it would be. Now, relax and plan your next trip.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Welcome Home!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Welcome back - and after 2 time changes you are definitely living up to your GW name. I didn't realize that your trip was that long - wow - 19 days - good for you.

If you picked up a beautiful Italian leather jacket or a nice pair of soft, warm gloves during your sojourn you'd be all set for this cold, blustery day.

When you're fully rested maybe you'll post some more details and photos.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

La Pieta at the Vatican and The David in Florence take your breath away. The pictures of them don't do them any justice. Like I said, la Pieta literally made me weep, so moving. How Michelangelo ever captured the expressions on their faces, I will never know. Ought to be considered the Eight Wonder of the World.

I hope you got to try some arancini! Yum!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did have arancini! They are kind of heavy. I liked them but didn't love them.

I did not expect to see The Pieta where is was located, so I was doubly overwhelmed. I came in the door of St Peter's Basilica and there it was. Left me breathless. Yes, the same feeling for The David. How can anyone have made those out of marble? Astounding. Both of those AND the Sistine Chapel ceiling? Michelangelo was astounding.