Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Yay!! Went UP a couple steps...!

Faron79
9 years ago

Well now...just a couple days short of 3wks from surgery, I was able to go UP a couple steps, on my NEW knee! Only used hand-rail/cane for balance...not to help.

Home steps are usually 8" high I believe, & I had been working with 4", then 6" at PT. I've been doing the exercising, stretching, & weight-lifting VERY religiously. It's nice to see a tangible result finally!! Just 3 or 4 days ago...I couldn't do it...then, all of a sudden...I DID!

Faron

Comments (21)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Yay! It's empowering to see real progress, isn't it.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Yay! Just in time to climb a ladder and clean the gutters! Well done :-)

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BP-

Thanks. Thanks a LOT....;-)

Faron

• awm03
    9 years ago

Oh Faron, I'm so happy for you! This is wonderful progress. Keep up the good work, and Go Bison! You will be running stairs at the football stadium, at the rate you're improving!

bpathome, lol!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Big thumbs up for you - consistent PT is the key and you're plugging away. What's that old saying - Every day in every way I'm getting better and better - and you are!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Excellent! One step at at time!!
    ;)

• texanjana
    9 years ago

That is great, Faron! Your hard work is paying off.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

It's a spiral upward ... as you get more mobile, it gets easier so you can do more so you get more mobile.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An "upward spiral".

I like that!!
    Than you all for you kind notes!

heh-heh...."One step at a time..." >>
    I noticed the wink there AD!

Faron

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Woohoo! You are doing an amazing job of recovering. So happy for you!

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

Good job! It all starts with a single step :)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

(Playing "Rocky" theme) - soon you'll be running those steps!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

"....one small step......"

• pugga
    9 years ago

Yay! Those milestones are sooo good.

I broke my left ankle and left arm a little over a year ago, which required surgery and a two-month stay in a nursing facility and lots of PT. I'm still discovering new (former) abilities but I remember stairs being a big achievement. Today I am going to try a stepladder to hang some drapes.

Keep going!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pugga-

Oh jeeeeezz!
    You'd better be careful!! Don't push it on the ladder!
    But yes...the "Battle back to normalcy" is an interesting one!

Faron

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

WTG, Faron! BTW, my sister has to go back to work this week part time already. She starts Thursday. Her surgery was Sept 8. Now she needs to save up leave so she can have the other knee done.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Good for you Faron! It's not easy to keep up with PT as it usually causes pain for quite some time before you notice any sign of improvement.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

My mom had knee replacement surgery three months ago and she goes in tomorrow for the other knee. I can't believe how excited she is, especially knowing what a b*tch those first few weeks are. But her new knee is pain free and pretty strong already and the prospect of someday hiking again keeps her going.

Reap the rewards of committed PT!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

YAY Faron!

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Faron, I commented on one of your previous reports about my mother-in-law who had one knee replaced at age 85 and was back to doing her daily walk within 3 weeks. Well she is 93 now and just scheduled surgery for 11/24 to have her other knee replaced. She is actually happy and excited about it. She told me that she's planning on living another 7-10 years and wants to be able to get around on her own. She still lives independantly and has places to go, things to do and people to see. The doctor told her she was more like a 73 year old than a 93 year old. She told the doctor,"if the surgery kills me, so be it. I had a good long life."

Please keep your fingers crossed for her. And good luck with the rest of your recovery.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow!

Those of you with family/older relatives gettin' new joints & kickin'-butt now....well, all I can say is...WOW! My hat's off to them!

I've now done 40+ "step-ups" with new-knee since dinner today!! Last Wed., I tried, but couldn't quite do one at home. Knee feeling fairly strong, but standing around & longer walks make it stiff/sore. I've almost stopped using the Hydrocodones. Maybe took 6 all weekend!

I wonder if I'd be a little farther along if I wouldn't have needed the extra MCL-ligament work/relocating??? Oh...& the extra "cabling" I now have too...;-) ???

>>> Better artistic renderings of my MCL "cabling" in link! Kinda cool stuff...

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: MCL reinforcing/FiberWire & Fibertape.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler