Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddielee49

GardenWeb on Facebook and Pinterest???

maddielee
11 years ago

Because I rarely notice the top of this page, I thought I would draw attention to the "What's New at Garden Web " section. Garden Web stuff is now on Facebook and Pinterest.

Did everyone already know this?

(I am not sure if this is good or not so good?)

ML

Comments (23)

• alisande
    11 years ago

I don't think it's good or not good; it just is. In other words, there they are--along with so many others. It's up to us whether we want to "Like" them or not. If we don't, then we don't have to think about it again.

• maddielee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I KNOW that anything posted on GW is open to the world to see....just wondering if ideas that a GW member shares on GW can now become a GW idea on Pinterest????

ML

• User
    11 years ago

Oh see, my take was a little different. I see this forum as being my little refuge away from family and friends. The only one who has ever been on here is my daughter and even now she's not participating. But they are all big Pintrest users and as silly as it seems, I feel less anonymous now as a result.

• alisande
    11 years ago

I could be wrong, but I don't envision GW sharing our posts on Facebook. That's not the way FB usually works. I don't know anything about Pinterest.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Exactly, Lukk! Now I feel like changing my screen name because it kind of says what state I'm in. I definitely will not "Like" GW on either Pin. or FB. No way. I know my settings are private, but it still gives me the skeevies someone could see my full name, and possibly follow a trail.

Maddie, I also know our pictures are out there, but I don't think I'd be too happy if GW showed one of my room's.

Which reminds me, a couple of years ago Tamara emailed me asking my permission to use one of my pictures on a new blog GW was creating, and I said yes. But I've never seen the blog. At least my permission was asked for, so maybe that's how they plan on doing it?

• maddielee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i went to the Facebook page, what is posted is a link to a forum post (Annie's Salsa (good stuff, btw)). So they are not cutting and pasting but directing people back to the forums.

The more people who visit GardenWeb, the better for GardenWeb. Can't say its wrong for them to do. Another way to advertise.

ML

• polly929
    11 years ago

I prefer my anonymity. I just checked out the FB page, there is no way I will "Like" it. Everyone will know who I am! I do have 2 FB friends from here though, that's ok. But I don't want the people I know IRL knowing I come here. It's my escape from real life!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

How odd! I posted yesterday on this thread that I would now have to stop posting pictures on GW, but my post is gone. I know that GW isn't private, but it feels much more private than FB and Pinterest. I'm so sad to see my last little corner of semi-anonymity disappear.

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

I won't like it either! Leave well-enough alone GW!

• alisande
    11 years ago

I know that GW isn't private, but it feels much more private than FB and Pinterest.

It's a nice thought, but GW posts (my own and everyone else's) are always turning up in Google searches. There's nothing private about it. At least with FB we have the option of various privacy settings. Not so with GW. Like I said, I don't know anything about Pinterest.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Just about anytime I do a "google search" for a home decorating question, I end up with lots of GW hits. Some are my own comments. GW is very "big".

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

I have 'pinned' gw threads on Pinterest because I want to refer back to the comments. One thread I pinned was regarding pink paint. Using gw clippings was too cumbersome for me.

Gw is definitely not private!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Sigh...all my illusions of privacy are destroyed...LOL.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

It doesn't look like the FB page is very active. The FB Page was made October 11, 2011; there is one post on Oct 1st of this year.

You can bet that the way they'll work it is that they will start taking posts from the various boards & link them on the page. I hope they will not share any posts from any of the conversations forums. Unfortunately; they do not have to ask permission because we gave the right up when we agreed to their terms of service when we joined.

Does anyone want to contact the admin to see if conversation posts will be shared there? IMO; it needs to be known for all of our sakes.

I don't come here much for the last few months anyway; I really have nothing to hide; but I'd rather not have anything I post to shared on the FB page. IT feels like a violation of privacy.

One good thing is the amount of posts lost on this side to forum screw ups. I used to post on rose conversations; there are posts still from 2006!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Are you sure your post disappeared Fun2BHere? You posted on the Kitchen Table forum on this same subject.

I don't think this is a big deal at all. I post mostly in the quilting forum, and I do post photos of my quilts. But on the occasions I have designed an original quilt pattern, I don't post my photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: KT link

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Mary_C, I think you've found my other post. I guess I did post on the KT instead of here. Thank you. I won't feel so paranoid now that I know my original post wasn't actually deleted...LOL!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I think it's a given that anything shared here is not sacrosanct and may indeed be posted on facebook if it's interesting enough.

• User
    11 years ago

I don't much care for FB and have never seen the utility of pinterest. I use the Evernote app to collect pictures, articles and info from all sorts of media organized by subjects or projects, and don't really want to have other people looking at them. But then, I don't twitter--- not interested in following or being followed.

It's amazing how many of these sites use crowd sourced content--- that people give so freely.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

If you live in a house in a rural area, you may have an occasional mouse that likes the warmth in your house as the weather turns colder. I know I have, and I've hated to deal with those wooden traps that scare the heck out me when I've had to set them. I've tried other kinds of traps but they haven't always been effective. Finally, I found one that is super easy to set and really works. It's made by the Pic company which makes several varieties, but this is the one to get. I bought it here, and if you buy 4 items using the code GVJ, you get free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: mouse trap

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

My previous post was supposed to be a new topic. I went back and tried to enter it again at the end of the Conversations' page but there's no space to add the optional link URL. What am I doing wrong?

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I do not put stuff on the web that is private or I that don't want seen.

tina

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

My previous post was supposed to be a new topic. I went back and tried to enter it again at the end of the Conversations' page but there's no space to add the optional link URL. What am I doing wrong?
    If you are the OP (original poster) starting a new thread, you won't see the Optional Link URL box until after you hit Preview. Then you fill them in, and preview again, and then submit.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, chemocurl. You need ESP to figure out this site sometimes.