Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Knee: 1 month now!

Faron79
9 years ago

Man...that went fast!!!

Today is 1mo. since my new left knee! As a review of the "journey":
* Knee was getting more unstable, with pain at kneecap & stiffness during 2013. MRI showed not much meniscus left on back of kneecap. MCL getting looser (was repaired waaay back in '78...HS-Football ya know!).
* Because DW had an important operation in Mar. 2014, we waited til this fall for my knee.
* So...on 9/26, I went under the knife.
* There was more arthritis than they initially thought. Also, my "MIS"-alignment angle had increased to ~9deg inward. Normal is 2-3deg.!!
* Additionally, the MCL itself was pretty beat-up they said.
* Soooooo, they ALSO had to reinforce the MCL, & relocate one (?) end of it to allow for the overall straightening.
* Further...to increase support for the MCL & realignment, 2 anchors were drilled into the bone, & Fiberwire stretched between these. To ME, they seem like small "cables"!!
* So...I have kind of a "Bionic" knee...;-)

The road back:
* Week #1....Not gonna lie...was mainly a B*tch! Wondered if I could EVER ditch the friggin' walker! Lifting the leg with the "lifter-strap" was kinda humorous! Stretching!??!?!?! Dear God...I made up new words! Ice-machine 3x/day.
* Week #2...Getting a little stronger/flexible! Still need walker, but not as bad. PT going good, 3 days/week.
* Week #3...Strength really increasing now! Ditched the walker for the cane!!!!!! Got strong enough to go "up" a few steps on the new knee! Going for longer walks at the Mall, & outside, weather permitting!
* Week #4 to now...Getting even stronger! Hardly use cane at all for help, other than than as a backup. Around the house I rarely use it...other than to humor DW...;-)

So...this is my last week of 3x/wk PT. Next week it's down to 2x/wk. Finally got to 120deg of bend early this week, & to the important 125+deg threshold on Wed!!!

Faron

Comments (16)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Wonderful news, Faron!!!

Way to go with the P/T -- I am just a sissy about pain! :)

Soon you'll be dancing on the beach in Hawaii! :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Wow! That really did go fast for those of us not going through it ourselves! Congrats on the milestone and so glad everything is going so well.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Attaboy, Faron, keep up the good work! Keep moving, stretching, walking, & stair climbing.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    9 years ago

Faron, great job! Your recovery seems so fast. My knee scope was on 9/18, and I had some articular cartilage scraped and debrided. I'm finally off crutches, but still have periodic sharp pains with weight bearing. Hope I get back to 100%. I was in half marathon shape before this happened. Again, I feel your pain (though not as serious as your surgery). Keep plugging!

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Really appreciate the updates. After yesterdays field day-which included hiking down a steep 35 foot WET forested slope down to a stream (then back up!) and a couple other treks over uneven ground, my knee kept me up all night. I NEED to get moving on getting a replacement done.

Glad to hear you're following thru with the PT. I hear that's the worst part, but hopefully you'll be better than ever sooner than you thought.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    9 years ago

Faron, great job! Your recovery seems so fast. My knee scope was on 9/18, and I had some articular cartilage scraped and debrided. I'm finally off crutches, but still have periodic sharp pains with weight bearing. Hope I get back to 100%. I was in half marathon shape before this happened. Again, I feel your pain (though not as serious as your surgery). Keep plugging!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Excellent!
    I kneew you could do it!
    This good news really lightens up the joint!
    That news just caps it.
    Really getting a leg up.
    Remember, it's not polite to stair.
    So glad you are cane and able!
    MCL...is that 50 years before MCM?

;)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Our hero! You're doing great, Faron. It's amazing what a difference a couple of weeks and a lot of hard work can make. Congrats on the speedy recovery and may it continue.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AD-
    I'm impressed!!! Very clever...and FUNNY/major eye-rolling too!
    I "kneeded" humor like that! Your "degrees" of humor were not a "stretch" either. I like the Roman-Numerals thing....but are you implying my knee is old?!!??! ;-)

I'm glad Sofia Vergara wasn't my nurse...or I'd still be in the hospital..."stairing"........;-)

Teacats-
    Yes...Maui & the Four-Seasons would REALLY help....wouldn't it?!?!?!
    Cyn427-
    Thx for the congrats! It's so good to hear!
    Awm03-
    Yes...thanks for reminding me...;-) GO BISON!!!
    Hopefully Win#32-in-a-row tomorrow @ USD.
    JAN-
    Ouch! crutches for a month?! Is your pain cartilage or meniscus related?
    Pesky1-
    YIKES! Have you done ice-wraps? Your knee sounds like it's "angry with you...& needs to cool down"...literally!
    OSP-
    Thanks! Yes...I'm a hero in my own mind!!! ;-)

Actually, the PT-sessions weren't bad!
    As I keep whining....the WORST was that 1st week of stretching. Trying to stretch the knee past 90.....HOLY S*#&^$))*YY#@^($...it!!!

Faron

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Faron, I am so happy to hear your positive update. My sister's first day of work part-time was yesterday. Her surgery was 9/8. Crazy how time flies.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

Terrific! Hope your road to recovery continues and you're knee is healthier and better than ever.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Thanks for the detailed time line - it sure doesn't seem like a month (when it's not your own knee!). My dad can't wait until his (Wednesday) - though Mom said he's going to ask the dr to do the right knee 1st b/c it's bothering him so much (I don't know if he's been exercising that one though). It's been cool and rainy all week, that doesn't help.

So when do you stop PT? Whenever you can walk without the cane (so soon?)?

Keep up the good work!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The PT-thing kinda varies...by injury severity, age, response to exercising, etc., etc.
    * It's almost always a month+ though. It seemed like I was hearing 6 weeks for an "average" knee-repl PT though.
    * I'm supposed to do my "home" stretching & exs for 2 months though.
    * I've had 4 weeks of 3x/wk. Next week for a couple (?) weeks, it drops to 2x/wk.
    * My r-o-m & strength on the machines, etc., is very good now. There's no swelling either, so the PT-Lady says we only need to do 2x/wk now.
    * Check your insurance though!!!! Inquire specifically about allowed PT-coverages!
    * I could ditch the cane NOW I think, but DW would glare at me...!! I haven't really needed it for days now, but having a "safety" isn't so dumb either I guess!

Faron

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Faron, haven't been on this side so totally missed what you have been going through. Glad to hear you are making steady progress in the right direction!

DH has an appointment with a knee surgeon at Mass General Hospital in November. Has been told by our local ortho that he needs knee replacement but we're opting to go to Boston due to his other medical issues.

You mentioned the ice machine. Did you also use the CPM machine? A colleague of mine who had major knee surgery swears by it and DHs local cardiologist said it would be important for DH to ensure no clotting.

I see your football team is having another banner year. Hope my UNH Wildcats get to meet up with you again in the playoffs...with different results of course!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UNH-
    HI!!!! I forgot about you! Yes, that UNH playoff-time was pretty fun!! Yes, my Bison are steamrolling again! 32 WINS in a row now! This past Jan., we drove down to Dallas/Frisco, to watch the 3rd-in-a-row National-Championship! 95% of the crowd were Bison!! The NDSU-Tailgating area was ENORMOUS. I couldn't believe all the setups that trucked halfway across the country!

Yes, they used the CPM device on me...BUT...I had to insist to the nurses to use it 3x/day! One nurse got a little grumpy with me, but I won out! When I saw my surgeon 2 days after surgery, he mentioned that most Dr's. are split on it. I wanted it used because of the importance of getting everything MOVING/STRETCHED ASAP.

Exercise & movement are VERY important for preventing clotting. They frequently used the "Leg-compressing pumps". I also had the injected blood-thinner Lovenox in the hospital, & for about 10 days after. They also recommended doing LOTS of "ankle/calf-pumps"!

Faron

• HIWTHI
    9 years ago

Great news on your surgery. I finally remembered the name of the forum I wanted to pass on to you where you can go chat with others who have had their knees replaced. They were a God send for me with my surgeries. It's called Delphi forum. They have every top you can imagine and one specifically for knee replacements. I'm glad you're doing so well. Keep up the good work.