Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Regarding Fish Oil . . .

tinam61
9 years ago

Shee - I looked at the link you provided. I do not like fish at all and I have heard some people who take supplements say they "burp" the supplement. That is a total turn-off for me and has so far kept me from trying the supplement. But, I know since I don't eat fish, (other than tuna occasionally) the supplement would probably be of benefit to me. Have you (or anyone else here) had this problem? Is there a fishy aftertaste?

I also read this from your link:

Do Omega-3 fatty acids interact with any prescription medications?
Because fisg oil may increase fasting blood glucose levels, diabetic individuals currently taking or planning to take diabetic medications should take fish oil only under the supervision of their healthcare provider. Fish Oil may also interact with supplements and medications that lower blood pressure, block the absorption of fats to effect weight loss, and birth control pills. It is always recommended to consult a licensed medical professional before taking any supplement if you are pregnant, lactating, and/or taking any OTC or prescription medications for a health condition.

I don't take any of those medications, but this was interesting to read and I thought others here might want to know this.

tina

Comments (18)

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Why are you wanting to take the fish oil? If it is for the omegas there are vegan varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: algea Omega 3's

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

there are "burp free" fish oil supplements, they are more expensive, I tried them and it's true, burp free, I have a fish intolerance, just burping the taste made me queasy....

• graywings123
    9 years ago

You might want to consider taking krill oil instead of fish oil. Same or better benefits, no fishy taste. Someone here put me on to krill oil years ago; unfortunately I'm not sure who it was or I would give her credit.

Here is a link that might be useful: WebMD on krill oil

• tinam61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boop - for the health benefits. Thank you ladies so much, I will read up on these!

Mitch - I know that is exactly how I would be!!

• Oakley
    9 years ago

It was on the national news this summer that fish oil doesn't really do anything afterall.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Unable to take statin medications, my doctor asked me to add triple strength fish oil to my diet. In a matter of a few weeks, blood tests indicated a substantial decrease in 'bad' cholesterol. That was eight years ago and my numbers have remained great.

I take the capsule with a meal, not after and not before but with a meal and never have any problem with a fishy burps.

• User
    9 years ago

Tina I've never had an aftertaste/fishy burps from the ones I linked to. I've even taken them on an empty stomach.

General note, the purity of the fish oil is important. They're not all created equal.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just because it was on the news doesn't mean I believe it. As noted here - and in the other thread where fish oil was mentioned - changes have been noted. Our internist mentioned it some time ago because my husband's cholesterol has hovered very near the 200 mark a few times. We've made dietary and exercise changes. Both his parents have high cholesterol. His mother's side several siblings have had strokes, so of course it is a concern. But, I am so thankful to have a doctor that is not quick to push a pill. The Omega 3's can have an impact on cholesterol.

Thanks Shee - I'm going to read up on the differences/benefits of the three mentioned and if there is not a significant loss of benefit to the one Boop linked, I think I would like to try that. I'm glad to know though that the one you are using has not caused problems.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

another one....

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr F version

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

For the record, my daughter is diabetic and when we were exploring options about her cholesterol, fish oil was recommended. We use the Trader Joe's fish oil capsules and have never had a burpy aftertaste.

My preference though is for Dr. Fuhrman's DHA liquid, which is a vegan alternative, just a bit pricier.

• amicus
    9 years ago

A few years ago my Dr. advised me to take one low dose aspirin every night before bed, as I'm now menopausal and my family has a strong history of heart disease and stroke.

I started taking fish oil supplements last year, but didn't realize that they also help thin the blood. I will ask my doctor on my next visit if it's o.k. to take fish oil pills as well as my low dose aspirin. I just checked my fish oil pills, and the bottle doesn't give any warning against taking them if you are on blood thinners or low dose aspirin. Do any of you take both, and does your doctor know/approve?

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I can tell a huge difference in my mood and energy level when I take fish oil vs when I don't. I mentioned in the Wellbutrin thread that I had to stop the fish oil for a couple of weeks prior to a medical procedure (because it is a blood thinner). I got into a really deep funk. Stayed in bed half the day some days. When I started back on the fish oil I couldn't believe how much better I felt! I also had a lot more energy.

I buy the Nature's Bounty brand at Costco. It has 647mg of EPA per capsule. I take 2 - 3 per day. They never make me burp. I know that some people say that refrigerating fish oil will keep the fishy burps away, but since I don't have that problem I've never tried it.

• alisande
    9 years ago

I can't digest fish oil at all, and lost interest in krill oil when I learned humans were competing with whales, particularly blue whales, who rely on eating krill for their survival. We need to stop harvesting krill.

I've been eating walnuts, and will check out the vegan Omega3 source linked above. Thanks!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

My eye doc recommended I take fish oil or krill oil to relieve dry eye symptoms I have. Seems to help.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

tina61,
    My doc recommends keeping the fish oil capsules in the freezer to prevent "fish burps". This allows for digestions further along in your system and prevents the side effect.

outsideplaying,
    yes, the fish oil has helped my dry eye symptoms tremendously.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

High Lignan Flax seed oil is also a great vegan source for omega-3s...check out Barlean's. But do buy it and keep it refrigerated, and don't cook with it...heat destroys its potency. As are chia seeds. When I don't take one or the other I do get lots of body aches.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alisande, after reading up on this, I had the same concerns. I am going to order the vegan oil. We do eat nuts and I use flaxseed.

Thanks for all the good info!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES