Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

Leather boots - cracked

Sheeisback_GW
10 years ago

I have a pair Frye leather boots that I really like. I just noticed a crack on the one side.

Any suggestions as to what's the best thing to use?

Thanks!

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 1:24

Comments (6)

• golddust
    10 years ago

I swear by Obenauf's boot care products. I tried to post a link but after updating my iPad, I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I purchased mine through White boots. They make wonderful boots for loggers and firefighters. Amazon might carry it now. It lasts for years.

• golddust
    10 years ago

These little Doc Martin boots are 17 years old. They were my GS's and I treated them with the boot preservation product I mentioned above. The leather is soft and ready for my GGS.

• jrueter
    10 years ago

There is really nothing you can do to repair cracked leather, other than treating the leather to reduce additional cracking. There are lots of good leather conditioners out there, just what to use might depend on how dry/damaged the leather is.

Most leather damage comes from getting wet then dried rapidly with heat. If you know your boots will get wet, you should treat them with a water-repellant product. For incidental moisture/wetness dry with a rag, condition with a leather product and allow to dry completely. Don't use a hairdryer or put in front of a fireplace, etc.

• amj0517
    10 years ago

Have you contacted the manufacturer yet? I had a pair of snow boots that were damaged and I figured that it wouldn't hurt to tell the manufacturer what happened. They mailed me a replacement pair of boots! The original boots were only a year old, so I'm sure this played into it.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Golddust - This has nothing to do with anything really, but are those Docs now yours or are they tiny (baby) Docs that were your GS's?
    I have a pair that look very similar.

So you used the Boot Preservative? I actually didn't see that looking at their site (could've missed it), but did see it on Amazon.

Jrueter - The leather acutally doesn't look dry to me. I was surprised to see the crack. I don't think I'll wear them until I get some conditioner.

Amj - No, they were a gift and quite a few years old now. I didn't even think about that actually.

• golddust
    10 years ago

The Doc Martin boots in the picture are a toddler size 6. My boys wore Doc Martin boots when they were young as did my GS. Now my GGS is following tradition. Max had green ones.

Robert is breaking in a pair of Frye boots right now. Following White Boots instructions, I mix half water and half isopropyl alcohol and dab it on the tight spots while he is wearing them. We keep reapplying until the boots stretch out and the boots are dry. Then I will use the boot preservative.