Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Knee. YIKES! 2 weeks to go........

Faron79
9 years ago

Uffda!
9/26 is coming quick!!

Been exercising the knees for a couple months now. The PT-people have stressed how important it is to "go in strong", so that's what I'm doing! I do the same stuff for both knees to keep balanced. My left knee will be the "new" one!

Kinda weird small movements tho'...
Because there's little benefit to work the "main" leg muscles, these work the muscles at the knee itself. 1 example is putting a rolled-up towel below the knee, & flexing knee down into it, & holding. I count to 10, & do 2-3 sets of 10 reps/day. Another is laying on my back, & digging the heel into the bed with knee up ~~8", & holding. This works the back of the knee.

I've got more jobs to do around the house too!

Yikes!!!! 2 weeks!!!

Faron

Comments (29)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Faron, my sister just had her total knee on Monday. She also did the pre-surgery exercises/PT. She is doing really well and is now in the rehab facility where she will stay for about another week.

She had the right one done, but she really needs both.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

faron - best of luck with the surgery and thanks for describing the exercises. Are these the only 2 you do?

My dad is scheduled for Oct 29 for the first knee and Nov 19 for the other. I better tell Mom to get him doing the exercises b/c neither of them mentioned it. I don't know if surgeon told them. My uncle had both his knees done at the same time (different dr) and told Dad to do the exercises but I don't recall if that was before the surgery or just after (when he will have a PT pushing him to do it). I don't know if he'll go to rehab at all or just go home - he is really a hospital-phobe.

gschick - The surgeon told my parents that some drs will do both knees at once b/c after the 1st many (most?) patients will swear they'll never go through that again. But he's doing the one that DOESN'T bother my dad as much (dr says it's worse) first so Dad will be sure to do the 2nd. As he told Dad, "You're in such pain now, how much worse could the recovery be? And it will be SO much better after you're recovered, you'll wonder why you waited so long!"

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GSK-

Oh dear! How old is your Sis? I'm not slated for a rehab-center stint, just the 2 hospital nights. I believe I'll find out my PT-schedule when I'm in the hospital. I think it'll be 3x/wk for a month+...?

Faron

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Faron - I had both done at the same time so I did have in-patient rehab for 5 days. The others who only had one knee done went home the next day. My neighbor just had one done on Monday and she went home Tuesday. That's the norm as long as you're healthy and able to walk with a walker. Before discharge the hospital should ask if you have someone at home to assist you - or if you have a lot of stairs to negotiate. I also had at home therapy 3 times a week for one month - then outpatient therapy 3 times a week for 3 months.

It is so important to do those exercises before surgery - if really helps.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Faron,

Best wishes that your surgery goes easily and that your new left knee is an improvement.
    You will be in our thoughts and prayers on 9/26.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

I should also add that I honestly never had bad pain. They have the pain medication dosage and timing down pat. I was taking several baby steps the day after surgery - with a walker and an assistant just in case. By day 5 I was walking the length of the hall - very slowly of course and I was tired afterwards.

The therapist will remind you but icing the knee is so helpful to reduce swelling and pain. Do you have ice packs so that they're ready when you get home?

Sleeping was the worst part because I couldn't lay in my normal position. My neighbor is sleeping in her recliner because she found it more comfortable and it elevates her legs.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

She is 61, but by the time she was my age (51) she was already having problems. Our father had knee arthritis, had one replacement and was potentially looking at the other when he passed away, but other then my sister, no one else seems to have it, at least to that extent.

I do almost wish she had them both replaced since they are both bad.

• polly929
    9 years ago

Faron, I had a knee replacement and did not go to rehab. I had a home care PT come for 2 weeks before going to an out patient PT 3 times a week. I'm 38 and 8 years post op. I didn't have much of a choice in surgery though, it was related to a bone tumor I had years earlier.

I wish you luck. I know I mentioned this before but please make sure there is a pain management plan in place prior to surgery. You will be grateful you did.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the well-wishes!!

GSK-
    Glad Sis is doing ok!!

AJ's-
    No, there's about 7 iso-exercises, including a couple with a ball. And yes, your DF better get exercising those knees...hard!!

MC-
    Yikes! Both knees together?!!??! Uffda!

At my hospital, they really stress pain-mgmt. when you're there. DW & I went to a class at the hospital in late-Aug. for people having joints done.There were 7 couples I believe. I think DW & I were the youngest lol! There were a couple therapists, nurses, & a Pharmacist. It was a nice "What-to-expect/what-we-do" session.

My Surgeon is VERY well regarded in the region here. He's been on the staff of a couple U.S. Winter-Olympic teams. I've heard that for many years. He even lives not too far away! We occasionally see/meet them out walking their GORGEOUS "Berner". That dog is BIG!

Faron

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I hope all goes well with your surgery and the recovery, Faron! I will be praying for you on the 26th.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Faron, I wish you great success with your knee surgery. Sounds like you have the best-of-the-best surgeon in your region, and have prepared well. Will be saying prayers for you on 9/26. Let us know how it's going when you get to rehab. We'll be your personal cheering squad and we care!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Thanks faron - I emailed Mom, she said she's looked at them and has to go over them with Dad, but "she thinks he'll be OK, he's so active" - climbing in and out of dump truck (when it's the clutch that's killing his left knee, dr wants to operate on right 1st). She says gardening but he's let his garden go and yard work but that's sitting on a lawn tractor and mowing. I told her to talk to his brother who had his done, he was working construction and was "active" too running equipment, I don't think that's enough - or targeted.

Best of luck to you and I'll be following your progress.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

best of luck to you Faron.
    Will also be thinking of you on the 26th.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

best of luck from me also, keep us posted !!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Have been thinking about you since Friday when you posted, but just now getting around to wishing you the best Faron. Hope it is quick, easy, and done to perfection! Be sure to follow all the docs directions. You will be rocking out before you know it! :)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

If possible, go to in-patient rehab. DH has had both knees done. In in-PT rehab, you basically get PT twice a day - once is OT and once is PT. If you go straight home, you get PT 2-3 times a week. Plus, at an in-patient rehab facility, they know how to help you get up and down, get in and out of the shower, etc.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Oh good point! I can't see my mom helping my 200+ lb dad step over the tub edge! He's going to be in the downstairs guest BR where main bath is, he's used to upstairs BR/bath with just shower stall with low curb.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I will be thinking about you, Faron! I didn't know you had knee issues. I am sorry!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Good news in that my sister is coming home today. She got PT twice a day and OT once a day at the rehab. On Monday 1-week post surgery she was already able to navigate stairs and had good range of motion. Luckily, she has pretty decent insurance and only had to do a $500 co-pay for the whole rehab stay.

She will still do the outpatient PT, which she gets so many sessions under her insurance.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You (guys?) & Gals are truly wonderful!

Yikes!!!
    Only ONE week now!
    Had pre-op physical yesterday, & gave ~~ 6 vials of blood this am! Blood-typing, etc., etc.....
    Have to drop down to an 81mg aspirin (from my daily 325mg) for this week, & no more Diclofenac (my knee-pill I call it!).

Trying to get other home-jobs done too!
    Uffda....

Faron

• jan_in_wisconsin
    9 years ago

Faron, wishing you the very best with your upcoming surgery (as I'm lying here recovering from my knee scope). My mom had both knees replaced and she's doing great. All your pre-op prep will pay off. Keep us posted.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention-

While in the hospital for my 2-niter:
    * I'll have a CPM-machine on the 1st day I believe,
    * You're up walking with help later the same day,
    * Other therapy starts too,
    * They have a CAR in the OT-therapy area, for teaching/navigating the ins&outs of that!
    * There's also "home"/bathroom configurations for teaching shower entry/exit, etc.

Sounds like I'll be busy!??!?! :-)

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Sounds like they are really on top of the post-op stuff! You'll be up and around in no time - sounds like they're not going to let you lie in bed those 2 days.

I asked my dad last night if he had been doing his exercises - he hasn't. He says when he gets up at 5 and goes to bed at 10 there's no time, but he'd "look at them". Well, I don't know what he's doing b/t 7 and 10, just watching TV I think. He'd better get working on it! I'm afraid he isn't going to have a speedy recovery, he's 72, overweight, has had bad knees (no cartilage) for over 30 years, and sits in a dump truck all day then goes home and sits in his recliner.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ajsmama-

Not trying to be harsh (to your DF here...), but "no time" is BS, as you probably know! The 1/2-doz. exercises I do....are LAYING IN BED. This tends to isolate just the knee area for the short/tension movements. He can do them ALL...IN BED...watching TV.

I'm 53 (as of 9-16!). My best friends wife, who's in her late 40's, had a knee-replacement a year ago. Little cartilage left in her knee(s) I guess. She didn't do any exercises either. She's not too happy now...some difficulties still...AND SHE'S AN RN 20 years now!! She regrets not "going in strong"!!

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

faron - oh you're not being harsh - other than not actually saying "BS!" I basically told him the same thing! I told him talk to his brother, these exercises can make all the difference from what he said!

Dad doesn't have a TV in his BR (Mom just bought a hi-res FP 3D thing for FR, she could have put old tube style in the guest room for his recovery) but I'm sure the ones that need to be done lying down don't take that long. Are there any that can be done sitting? Like leg lifts?

I'm afraid Dad's going to regret this too, maybe that will make him do the exercises on the 2nd knee in the month between surgeries, but then again it may make him cancel the 2nd (except that they are saving the knee that bothers him more for last). That's scheduled for Nov 19, and he thinks he'll be able to drive from CT to FL in late Jan or Feb! A year later and your friend is still having problems, she's 30 yrs younger - doesn't sound promising for Dad.

Best of luck to you, I know you're doing everything you're supposed to, and sounds like it's a great facility. And Happy Birthday (I've got 51 coming up soon, and a damaged left knee I fell on a few years ago - on asphalt - when I turned my right ankle, so who knows I may need surgery sometime too, some mornings it sounds like cellophane crinkling as I come down the stairs, though no pain).

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Exercises can make a difference in more than one way. Post op activity/exercise can help ward off pneumonia, that is why nurses are 'mean' and encourage appropriate movement soon post op.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AJ's-

Tell your DF there's a big-Norwegian in Fargo, ND who will (respectfully) kick his a$$, if it'll help...;-)

If he's able to lay in bed, he's able to do the execises!!

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Thanks for the offer Faron but I think I'll just sic his little brother (who's like a bantam rooster! Used to be a SeaBee - or the youngest one who hasn't had knee surgery but was a Marine) on him.

I know, what's so hard about doing these exercises in bed - you said isometric? I'm sure he doesn't fall asleep immediately anyway. If he's that tired that he does, then he can just go to bed earlier so he can do them first. I wonder if he uses the same excuse for not brushing and flossing?

I think between me and my mom nagging him, and a brother or 2 (esp. the one who's had the surgery) acting like a drill instructor, we can get him to make the effort. If it comes to it, my mom will call the surgeon and tell him, if they say they'll have to cancel the Oct date and do the 1st knee in Nov and then 2nd knee whenever (meaning he has to spend the entire winter here instead of FL), that will get his attention.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Faron ... my SO had one knee replaced to fix a 40-year old sports injury's aftermath. He recovered quickly and with little pain.

Use ice and elevation as much as possible.

1 - Buy BAGS of ice and keep them in your freezer or a cooler. Your frig can't keep up with the demand

2 - See if you can get the ice water pumping machine (whatever they call it)) because it does a far better job than packs with less tending.

3 - Make ABSOLUTELY SURE you have comfy chairs with proper leg elevation devices, a firm sofa, and a good bed. Firm arms so you can hoist yourself out of it.

4 - "Pain pills" are better at PREVENTING pain than getting rid of it. Use them before you think you "really" need them. Pain causes stress, stress impedes healing.

5 - Right now, clear all the throw rugs, low décor, and small furniture out of your recovery area ... You need a clear path for you and the walker or crutches.

6 - Figure out bathing and make sure you have grab bar next to toilet. (you can get a potty seat for a toilet that has built-in hand-holds.

=============
    And do the PT exactly as they tell you to. Don't overdo it, don't slack.