Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Favorite hostess gifts?

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

We are going to a small-ish dinner party at the home of a couple we don't know well. We know them through common interest in a charity project in which we are both involved.

I would like to bring a hostess gift. We aren't really oenophiles so I'd rather not bring wine. I don't like to bring anything like bread or dessert because I know I don't like getting things I have to serve (control freak alert).

Any favorites? We have bees and I used to like to bring a small, beribboned jar of their honey, but they aren't that prolific! What have you received that you liked?

Comments (42)

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Considering you don't know the couple's taste, I would stick to something safe like a mum (dress it up to look pretty with ribbons ) or a fall scented candle. Personally,I am not a knock knack person so I prefer things that are somewhat useful.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

This might sound odd, but a couple of times guests have brought us breakfast treats as a gift! It's fun to wake up the next morning and have something special waiting. Maybe scones from a nice bakery and some gourmet honey and tea?

The mum idea is nice, too.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Oh what a shame that your bees aren't more prolific! That would have been perfect.

I realized as I made a list for you that I tend to stick with local gifts .. obviously my list is local to me but I am sure you can extrapolate.

- local jams, apple butter, pumpkin butter.

- wilton armetale (made locally.. but admittedly, I only give this to those I know who like it (i don't))

- local spice blends - there are two small companies in our area that makes spice blends. One is sold at the farmer's market, one at a small local shop. Both are very good and have some interesting mixes.

- coffee from a local roaster - of course, you'd need to know that they were coffee drinkers.

- local chocolate has been a much loved gift-- if you keep it small enough, they won't feel the need to serve. I don't like chocolate at all so this is a little hard for me but my clients and visiting co-workers LOVE wilbur buds and miesse's chocolate. Both local. I have also given Vosge's chocolate (not local) as special small gifts. I love that they have some very unusual pairings and they come with instructions on how to enjoy them.

In the same vein- as fall approaches, a special hot chocolate. I always gave Mariebelle but I seem to remember you have a favorite? This with a little note to relax after the festivities would be very sweet.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Do you have fruit trees on your property? My dad used to have a tree that produced the most delicious pears. He'd sometimes give them as gifts.

• roarah
    9 years ago

I always have flowers sent the day of the dinner I am attending for someone I do not know well.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I still love orchids but they have become rather common. I do not like most food gifts.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I always appreciate when other people bring dishes as I've gotten some great recipes that way.

You can bring cookies or a nice pumpkin bread that's homemade and buy a pretty dish to put it on....tell them it's for them later if you are afraid of messing with the menu and the serving dish is part of the gift.

One time I got a pretty dish that said something about friendship on it. I filled it with cranberry orange scones I'd made. When she asked about returning the dish, I said, no...fill it with something and pass it on to another friend and ask them to do the same.

I've also gotten practical gifts like lovely linen dish towels from william sonoma, or kitchen towels with matching pot holders, or coffee mugs with coordinating napkins.

This time of year, fruits are so wonderful, so a basket of apples and/or pears. And if you don't want to go with wine, hard cider and some wine glasses would be nice...

A trip to Penzey's is always nice...they have the gift boxes full of spices and herb combos, or you can make your own combo...

While I like scented candles and potpourri, I'm always afraid it's delivering the subtle message that their house needs freshening!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I do like a specialty vinegar or olive oil.

• theclose
    9 years ago

My faves: pretty linen dish or tea towels, a set of nice coasters, a set of tapers, set of cocktail plates. Also love above mentioned oil/vinegar. Specialty salts are lovely too.

• Jamie
    9 years ago

I love luxury kitchen towels. The problem is, I don't know how to gift-up the presentation and I sometimes end up giving something else instead if I don't know the people.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garnier-Thiebaut Kitchen Towels

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I have never given or received olive oil/vinegar as a hostess gift but i think it's an awesome idea. In fact, there's a local shop that has refillable olive oils and vinegars (plain and infused) that come in lovely bottles.. you just stop in to refill. I think they'd make great gift.

In fact, I think I will do that for the holidays. All my friends/family dabble in cooking on some level and I like to support the local women-owned businesses/shops.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

My favs: fresh flowers (or a lovely potted plant), chocolates, gourmet coffee and candles. I also like to give (and receive) yummy breads, gourmet cheese, etc. If I'm the giver I usually do as Annie suggested and purchase something pretty to package the gift.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a pretty potted mum at this time year (unless they hate plants).

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Someone once gave me fall-themed kitchen towels--leaves, pumpkins, etc...who can't use more kitchen towels (or some new ones?) and I would probably never buy myself themed ones. I also got Easter towels one time....I still use both.

I also like the idea of gourmet hot chocolate, which is something almost everyone likes and most people just buy from the grocery store so gettting a fancy jar would be nice. Are there gourmet marshmallows?

I've also enjoyed getting Wolferman's English Muffins. They have nice gift baskets.

• rgps
    9 years ago

My oh so chic houseguest from Scottsdale brought me local olive oil and vinegar in cool little bottles. Loved it.

When we were in Maine we bought snazzy local jams and everyone loved those.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I still like to receive orchids even if they have become sort of ubiquitous. I like to give those high quality paper, the kind that feels like cloth, cocktail napkins with a metallic initial, but they can be hard to find.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

If you know what the meal is going to be, bringing a unique condiment is a little different. I've taken watermelon pickles to a bar-b-q, jalapeño jelly to a brunch, and a salmon sauce to a dinner, all purchased from a gourmet food store. On the receiving end, I love getting a bread of some type of bread, breakfast or otherwise.

How about a cute apron for the hostess, be it male or female?

I don't like to give candles or receive them. I have my favorite as I'm sure most everyone does.

I once gave a pair of initialed hand towels but the required initial isn't always available. White w/black is usually safe.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

We have one of those fancy olive oil stores "Taste of Olive" near here. I've brought some nice olive oil from there. I do not get the flavored kind, just a fresh press. Balsamic is nice, too. Pretty much everyone uses olive oil these days.

You can't go wrong with mums in a nice basket. Or a maid to do the dishes.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I'm another one that has started bringing the specialty olive oil and balsamic vinegar as gifts. They wrap them up nicely and then the hosts can either serve them or save them for later. My favourite is garlic olive oil and pomegranate balsamic. It helps that we have an oil and vinegar shop that recently opened just a block away. Easy for last minute gifts.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

A really good bottle of vanilla extract.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are great! These are some really great ideas. Something local, if I can find just the right thing. I also like the idea of breakfast (since most people are beat the next morning). Initialled hand towels, very cool.

And oddly enough, i would have carried a bouquet rather then sent flowers, but sending them ahead of time, even though you will be there, is so much nicer. No more trying to find the right vase, trying to find a place to put them, etc. Much better to send that afternoon!

The only idea I won't do is mums. Mums depress me so! I was just telling my girls, they are the flower that says "all the other pretty summer flowers are gone now, missy, so you better learn to like me". I'd sooner wrap up a kale.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

"I'd sooner wrap up a kale. "

I actually laughed aloud! And feel the same way about mums. Is wrapping up kale crazy? 'Cause I kind of like the idea!

Which also reminded me of another gift-- one I love to receive-- a rosemary tree. You could personalize it by including a few favorite recipes. Baked french fries with garlic and rosemary.. olive rosemary bread.. rosemary shallot stew.. or whatever your favorites are!

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I would suggest some fresh local jam or jelly, possibly nice tea towels (linen) or some speciality tea. Those are all things I think anyone could use and appreciate.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Here's an idea for all the oil and vinegar people:
    I mix Fig Balsamic with EVOO and mustard and toss it with lentils and feta, serve it over arugula. It's delicious.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funky, glad I gave you a giggle. And actually I love ornamental kale.

Jams, yum! I agree local is the angle.

Hh, I love love the sound of that recipe. What proportion if vinegar to oil do you do find best ... I usually find that sweet vinegars require less oil.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I almost always take wine, we keep a lot on hand and it is very easy to just choose one right before we leave. Sometimes I take a flowering plant in a nice pot so that no flowers have to be arranged at the time--- I love receiving flowers myself but that is a last minute task I wasn't counting on. On the few occasions when people bring food I do not serve it, as they know it is not a pot luck supper, there usually isn't room for it on a buffet anyway and we already have the sit down, served plates organized. I know people who think this to be monumentally rude (my mother, for one) but I think it's bad form to bring something to eat,especially when you were specifically told not to. Most women, occasionally a man, will give me a call to see if any help is needed with the dinner, and I tell them firmly but happily not to bring a thing, we already have more food planned than the lot of us could possibly eat! So the callers know better, and those who just show up with food should have called first. It only happens once in a blue moon nowadays, thank goodness!

Sorry for the aside, I just hate it when people bring food expecting it to be served at that time. They probably hate me for not serving it, lol.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree totally KSWL, which is why I said so in my original post. Only bring food if it's clearly not something to be served.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Another who does not like mums!!!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

The recipe calls for
    2 T EVOO
    3 T balsamic
    2 t mustard

The first time I made it, I just happened to have Fig balsamic and it was just great. Often I take the easy way out, not that cooking lentils is so hard, and use Melissa's brand vacuum sealed steamed lentils from the produce section of the grocery store.

Fast, filling, fabulous.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much hhireno

• rgps
    9 years ago

Another thing I've done that has gone over very well is to line a smallish pretty tin box with aluminum foil and pour some home made fudge in there. No one has ever complained.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

When a more expensive gift is suitable, I love these beautiful glass votive holders crafted by glass artisans in Seattle. They are heavy and substantial and can be used as little vases or for other purposes as well as votives.

The founder of glassybaby started the company as a single mom and three-time cancer survivor. Ten percent of sales go directly to charitable organizations; see the "power of giving" link for specific items linked to individual nonprofits.

This is one of those Seattle things I'm especially fond of. Most of my friends have at least a few. Many have, ahem, substantial collections. They are favorite gifts hereabouts.

Here is a link that might be useful: glassybaby

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

lazydaisynot, those are wonderful!

• deegw
    9 years ago

laisydaisy, those are so pretty. You could create so many different collections - rainbow, ombre, patriotic... Your only limit would be the size of your pocketbook :)

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

My personal favorites to give are good quality dish towels and/or a jar of a special local honey. Wine, too.

To receive? I always appreciate fine quality dish towels, jars of specialized foods, flowers (mums work for me in the Fall only). A large bunch of sunflowers at this time of year is always nice. Wines.

HH: Your recipe sounds wonderful! I've just added it to my personal cookbook and put fig balsamic on my shopping list. I make a very similar recipe except I use baby kale, quinoa and dried cherries with feta and a similar salad dressing.

Mtn: thanks again for your gift suggestion last month for my cousin (the author). I had two old photos of our mutual grandparents copied and I framed them in lovely 4x6" silver frames for her. One was taken on their wedding day; the other is of our grandmother at her coming out. Perfect gifts for my cousin!
    Lynn

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Marlene and Deee, shopping for glassybabys (that's how they spell the plural :) in-person is really challenging. You can pull them off the shelves and try them with lit votives. There's so much variation even within a particular color/name due to the handmade nature.

More than once I've gone to the shop, spent an hour or so trying to decide on a single, a pair or a trio to give as a gift, and left empty-handed. Too many beautiful choices! If you're ever in Seattle you can visit the studio to watch them being made.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

lazydaisydot,

I will definitely visit the studio the next time I am in Seattle (I am in Portland).

The colors are amazing! I am adding them to my list of must haves for me and my friends and family. Such a perfect gift. btw...are you saying it's better to leave my credit card at home when I visit? :-)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I do love mums, it means the heat is finally over! But am quite neutral about towels, Most aren't to my taste, and I'm as picky as you are Mtn. They fall into the home decor category, unfortunately.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I feel the same way about towels. And I really don't like holiday themed towels, which is usually what we end up receiving because we usually host either a Halloween party or a Christmas party!

I also don't care for a bouquet, because then I have to go looking for the right vase... but potted flowering plant is nice!

Why do most people, when they bring a bottle of wine, choose to bring red wine? Is it because it's seen as fancier or somehow classier than white? I can't drink red so any red wine that comes into my house is really a gift for DH! My close friends know this by now, but if we have a big party, we end up with so many bottles of red wine. I end up re-gifting some of them.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I don't do it so much anymore, but I do like to peruse silver flatware serving pieces in antique stores. You can find the most beautiful, sometimes unusual, often not too ornate (or ornate if you prefer) pieces for not much $.

Like a little pickle fork, or a pair of sugar tongs (I use them for olives now), or a jelly spoon. If I can find sterling at a reasonable price, I get that, but some silverplate is still lovely. If I have enough time, or am lucky enough, I can often find a piece engraved with the recipient's initial.

It can add a little oomph to a modest food gift.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Just have to say how much I can't stand the ornamental kale. I think it's because people leave them in the ground all winter and they just look so beat up and horrible, not that dead mums are treat either.

Love so many of the other ideas here you are a thoughtful guest, Mtn. I do love the idea of breakfast. I adore scones and good coffee!

• caminnc
    9 years ago

We have a cookie shop here that has the most delicious french macarons (over 30 different flavors), custom sugar cookies and gourmet cupcakes. They are SO beautiful and make a lovely hostess gift. Maybe you could find a place like that near you.