Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Tried anything new lately?

User
9 years ago

Have you tried any new? Products you like or dislike? Recipes?

I've never bothered with a face primer for makeup because never felt it was necessary like an eye primer. Well, I do like to use Benefit's Porefessional, but I use it to fill in pores over makeup not as a canvas to keep everything in place. I bought Revlon Photo Ready face primer recently and loved it at first. It does a great job extending the wear of your foundation. Fills pores in great, but as soon as you put foundation on (doesn't matter the application) they appear more noticeable again. Like I said I wasn't necessarily looking for a pore filler. Unfortunately after about a week I noticed I was breaking out and I'm pretty sure that was the cause. Another note about the pore filling - I compared this to the Benefit using on top of foundation and they cover the pores the same, but the Revlon leaves a tiny bit of a whitish color cast.

Bought some new glasses the other week online from Zenni Optical and am pretty pleased. A friend told me about them and how she buys all her glasses there now. You can upload a photo and 'try them on'. I normally wear contacts and the last time I was at the eye doctor I didn't really like any of the glasses I tried so I didn't get any. Bought these.
{{gwi:1522043}}

There are options you can pick from and I did get the non reflective coating. The glasses, reflective coating, and shipping my total was $22. I just love them and have been wearing them every day.

Comments (13)

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

I got my new progressive bifocals and sunglasses from Zenni-total for both was under $100! I'm very happy with them-even though they're cheap frames, they're cute and so inexpensive I can have several pair. My insurance coverage is $200 but that barely covers the cost of the lenses-so Zenni is a good option.

Something new...a new tree? Does that count? I finally got the birch tree I've been wanting forever. Can't think of anything else noteworthy.

• User
    9 years ago

I actually tried a new daytime moisturiser. I had been looking for something that didnt have alot of stuff in it, no sunscreens, no peptides,no retinals or vitamins just a nice light moisturizer to wear n the daytime. I dont have any issues with my skin but am thinking that sometimes I think less is more, we put too much ingredients on our skin. For daytime I always put my own diy vitamin C, moisurizer and then sunscreen. In the evening, is when I want to us the major anti aging serums and creams. Anyway back to this moisturizer. I had been looking on EWG to find one that was very low in chemicals and came across LaRoche Posay TOLERIANE ULTRA, it scores 1 on the EWG site. Very light fluid, I love it!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Pesky....wow....it would never occur to me to get progressives online? How do they measure at what point the lenz changes in relation to your eyes? I've spent hundreds of dollars on frames and lenzes....can't believe how cheap Zenni is....have never heard of them.

Sorry for the hijack!

But speaking of moisturizers....I use night moisturizer for daytime now too since I have dry skin. Recently tried one from Neutrogena in a little blue jar....it cleared up some bumps I had....I really like it and the price is right! It doesn't feel heavy or greasy. Need some new makeup and may give Neutrogena a try since my skin seems to have responded well to it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I love zenni and have used them for years although I could rarely convince anyone to try them!
    New, hmm, frozen, vegetable fried rice from Tj's is now a staple, favorite new perfume is Bvlgari Mon Jasmine Noir.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I love the idea of more glasses. I have that three zone kind though which I kind of hate, but have gotten used to. DO they do them too?

My favorite new thing is organic almond oil for my hands.

Here is a link that might be useful: almond oil for hand models :)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I started using Avon Anew exfoliating cleanser and glycolic pads (not at the same time or on the same day) several weeks ago and my skin looks better than it has in ages. Less spotty (I have freckles, sun damage) and just generally clearer looking.

I have started making shakes with whey protein powder (either with just water and ice, or adding some banana or berries) in the morning, and I find myself much less hungry at least during the first half of the day.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

Got solar panels! Now I will be able to run our AC without guilt and paying sky high rates. The gas and electric company will be buying from us!

• User
    9 years ago

DH has this stubborn 10-15 lbs he needs to loose, he is prediabetic. He goes to the gym, eats a good diet but cant seem to loose it. He started PGX Daily, about a 10 days ago, hasnt changed anything else. He has lost 4 lbs. He is working his way to taking one with each meal, right now he is taking 2 daily. Seems to be working, no cravings, he was always hungry before.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Yes!

I have three new favorite salad dressings I made over the summer.

The first one has a vaguely sweet and sour quality to it. I served it over greens with shredded carrots and cukes, with crispy lo mein noodles and shredded chicken. Very simple to make. I also made it another time with spinach, feta and pistachios ... versatile! I recommend Stonewall Kitchen for the jelly.

1/4 c red pepper jelly
    2T olive oil
    1T cider vinegar
    - Heat jelly to soften, whisk with oil and vinegar, season w salt and pepper, chill

Here's a second one I liked, from Ina Garten's Cape Cod Chopped Salad. I have made dressing with maple syrup before, but the orange zest in this one is really wonderful. The recipe for the salad (online if you want the whole recipe) calls for bacon, nuts AND cheese. In one salad! i think that's kind of overkill; i usually add only one indulgence to a salad and keep it all veggies otherwise. I am sure you could use this yummy dressing a lot of ways.

3 T cider vinegar
    1 t orange zest
    2 T fresh squeezed oj
    2 1/2 t dijon mustard
    2 T maple syrup
    salt to taste
    1/2 t black pepper

Lastly, I had a guest who loves Caesar Salad but who is expecting and didn't want to eat raw eggs. I made a version with buttermilk to replace the egg. Oh yum. Don't omit the anchovy paste... even my kids, who don't care for anchovy, loved it.

1/4 cup buttermilk
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
    2t anchovy paste
    2 t each dijon mustard and Worcestershire
    2 minced garlic cloves
    1/2 cup olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

My daughter and I both started the Fast Metabolism Diet in May and have lost close to 30#. Whoop whoop! It was on Dr Oz and many at work have been doing it. Basically it is eating clean or paleo. I gave up caffeine and my diet Cokes and lived to tell about it. ðÂÂÂ

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

Duplicate post.

This post was edited by rnmomof2 on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 8:50

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad others like Zenni too!

Joanie - I'm going to look for that moisturizer. I like Neutrogena Healthy Skin liquid makeup. For reference, it reminds me of Clinique Even Better. I'd call it light to medium coverage. It's slightly dewy. My skin goes back and forth between combination normal/oil to normal/dry. It's the only drugstore foundation I found I like.

Boop - Yes, they do the progressives!
    Thanks for the link. I would think photoshop would fix any tiny imperfections in her hands, but if her hands aren't near perfect I'm sure they can, and will, find someone else. I wanted to pick up almond oil while out and got all side tracked. It's on my list for next time!

Sue - I'm glad to hear the Avon products are working! They're ones I'd like to try. I'm still not the most consistent at using face products.

Mtnrd - Oh, they sound great! I'm going to try them. I discovered a few weeks ago a real simple caesar salad dressing that's just mayo (I like Hain's safflower mayo), lemon juice, and olive oil. It's so simple and I think it tastes right when on a salad.

I really like Lypsyl Bee Smooth lip balm. I wanted to try something different and bought it because I liked the look of the tube. I apparently grabbed the mint kind because it has a slight minty feel that I would prefer it didn't. It goes away after a while. My lips were cracked and sore and after less than a day of use my lips were great. Still are. I always layer something under lipstick and I was impressed that my lips, for the first time, weren't dried out later. It also seems to last on your lips without the need to reapply often.

Also like Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Faces SPF 45 for my face.

• roobear
    9 years ago

LaRoche Posay toleriane is nice, I like the cleanser.

Recently I'm loving my elf eyelid primer in sheer, I don't usually wear eye primer, but this stuff is nice, it makes my eye shadows more intense in color, and they stay put all day. Not bad for only a $1.

Also liking Boots No 7 Total Renewal Micro-dermabrasion, could be just my imagination, but my skin seems softer, clearer, and more even in complexion after using it for the last month.

Bumble & Bee Organics Coconut and Lime lotion stick and body butter is so yummy smelling I want to eat it. No chemicals or bad stuff, and being certified organic is a nice plus.

Another new thing I'm liking is smoked salts for cooking, didn't know they existed till I recently visited a spice shop for the first time. That was an extremely fun experience, couldn't believe all the spices they had. Smoked salts come in different flavors depending on the wood used and are a more natural way of adding a smoky flavor to meats, veggies, etc.

We've had it for a couple months now, but I am loving the propane gas stone fire pit we DIY built outside. No clothes smelling like smoke, no worrying about embers, or getting it started, it's an instant turn on and off. Using lava rocks, it actually crackles a little, and I'm surprised at the amount of heat it gives off. I was concerned I would miss the wood fire experience, but am happy that I love the convenience, and ambiance of it.