Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

Whiskers...

Sheeisback_GW
9 years ago

on my chinny, chin, chin. I don't feel like this should be an issue yet, but it's been for a few years now. It's something I check usually daily. Bunch of crap I say. My mom (50s) has been tweezing for years and she recently talked about having laser done. I've heard one person I know say it worked, but I don't think it's successful for everyone. Mom mentioned the skin on her face in those areas is getting somewhat rough(!). I don't notice it and I'm pretty observant. Not very comforting though. I will say she doesn't mess with skin care.

I don't really know why I posted this. Sympathy perhaps. Maybe a little whining. Why couldn't the hair grown on the underside of a toe or something. How about a small area on my thigh, you know? Why my FACE? Ah, well.

Any good tweezer recommendations? I think I'm going to buy a Tweezerman.

Comments (31)

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Sally Hanson has a wax strip product that I like. Basically, it's a high powered piece of tape that removes the hair. For the upper lip area, my hairdresser suggested I cut the strip in half so it is applied to the correct area. My skin is very fair and can show irritation so I use this product at night so my skin has a chance to calm down before I go out in public. As for the hair itself, it's hormonal.

• RoseAbbey
    9 years ago

Wait till you hit menopause, as it is a hormonal thing, it gets worse for most women. I dont have dark hairs but have noticed my peach fuzz got worse especially around the ear area. I just take a dry razor and shave it off, i guess its actually called dermaplaning. gets rid of dead skin cells too.

One thing, since you are young, if you all of a sudden notice these hairs getting worse, get it checked out, sometimes it can be caused by a cyst on the ovaries.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I always remember my Dad's Mom when I'm tweezing...she had a nice mustache on her! I have these very fine, invisible hairs that grow from under my chin that I have to watch for as they just grow and will get very long.

Forget about growing stray hairs in places that don't show...post menopause, I'd be delighted to have hair growing in places it's supposed to like my eyebrows. Eyebrows are so weird. Some hairs have disappeared, and others have become coarser and grow without stopping so they need regular trimming. What's with that? I never had that before! And, oh to have a thicker head of hair again!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

ahhh, Shee - welcome to the club and i'm sorry you're a member ;-)

Waxing (or that tape) will work for some people but it can cause ingrown hairs depending on your skin and hair. But you also have to have a significant amount of growth for the wax to grab and letting it grow to that point can be frustrating. Tweezing can cause irritation and also can change the direction of growth so that over time the hairs twist away from the root and are more difficult to remove and then cause more irritation - lovely, isn't it? Laser works if there is a pronounced difference in hair color/skin color but if your hair is blondish it has limited use. Some people have great success shaving and never feel there's a downside to it but others feel it creates shadow just like on a man - I guess it depends on the amount of hair your dealing with. Electrolosis can work but can also cause burns - not fun - and then scarring if your hair is coarse and requires a higher setting to work, If your hair is fine, it seems to work better. i don't think there is a great answer unfortunately - it's trial and error to find what works best for you and your budge. I have used Tweezerman for probably 20 years, have sent them in for sharpening - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't think the ones I've bought in recent years (I keep several at a time) are made as well as they used to be.

As mentioned, it's because of our hormone fluctuations. When I'm Queen, this will be my first order of business !!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I remember my disbelief the first time I spotted a chin hair. At first they were just blond curlicues and then they followed the usual course, soon followed by my upper lip, and weird eyebrow hairs. At least you will soon no longer have to shave your legs very often. Hey -- maybe as our skin sags, we are seeing leg hair growing out of our chins.

I now use a magnifying mirror to apply my makeup and go on hair-watch patrol before I start with the makeup. I also use those Sally Hansen wax strips and they do large scale hair removal the best for me. I have one of those springy wands that you roll over your skin, too. It works, but it is so painful.

Getting older really does suck, although as is often said, it beats the alternative.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

I get these thick, white ones. I pluck them out using my magnifying mirror and a tweezer. I've been dilligent, get them the moment I can see their nasty little tips and out they go. I've managed to cut down on the regrowth because I think I killed the root system. It's taken years!

I get the occasional one low on my neck-those are harder to get because of the angle, they're below my chin, so if I lift my chin, they're blocked, and if I lower my chin, they're blocked. Grrrrr!

The thing I REALLY hate is the little fleshy, clear bumps-I call the, warts, my Dr says they're moles, that have popped up over the years. I have one on the tip of my nose and I REALLY hate it. and several on my cheek near my nose. Insurance won't cover the removal (cosmetic) and per my Dr they could leave scars. I need to consult with the dermatologist, however-might get more sympathy from them.

Re eyebrows-mine also won't grow, but for a few errant 2 foot long hairs that pop up. Ok, slight exaggeration, but they are long. And my hair-has thinned a bit, but I have always had super thick hair-it's changed texture. It's so frizzy and used to be nice and straight. No amount of product or blow outs will tame it. So frustrating

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

I don't have whiskers, but since we're sharing, I have two long, dark hairs- one on my chin, one on my cheek. Kind of like a witch! (I pluck them).

My head hair is thick but my eyebrows are gray and disappearing! Might get them tattooed--??

• hhireno
    9 years ago

How do we get dlm2000 on her throne as the new Queen? We need to get someone working on this hair in the wrong places issue.

I don't like to trim the few ridiculously long eyebrow hairs because they help fill in for all the missing ones and create the illusion that I have a full set of eyebrows. Oh, and eyebrow powder. I use that also.

I have one jawline hair that I swear I'm always searching for and then one day *wham* it's an inch long. Does it sprout overnight at an inch long? How do I not notice it before that? I'm sure everyone else sees it and thinks why doesn't she do something about it. I'm trying people but it eludes me.

More hair springing up in the wrong places yet the close up vision is weakening so it's harder to see it for removal. Life is hard.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I have sugaring done. Sugaring is nicer than waxing.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Sort of on the topic of chin whiskers: Here's a Joan Rivers quote (may she RIP) that took me half a second to visualize and then I fell on the floor laughing:

QVC Host: "You look positively radiant though, if I may be so bold.âÂÂ

Joan: âÂÂWell look a little closer,â she said. âÂÂOne more facelift and IâÂÂll have a goatee.âÂÂ

The world will never be the same without her.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I also have the sugar wax done or some call it Egyptian wax.
    Much gentler for the face area.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The hair on my upper lip I've been shaving for years. That hair isn't coarse like this area of the chin.

Those of you that wax, you have to let the hair come in first to grab it. I didn't think that would work if it was too short. I'm usually tweezing something daily. Some of the hairs are white, some are dark, and some are a mix. Lovely. This is actually kind of embarrassing talking about it. I'll have to look into the difference between the sugar and regular wax.

Ha, I've been filling in my brows for about five years now. One day it was like wait, why are my brows fading!?

I used to have ovarian cysts, but haven't had any issues for a long time. This all started after giving birth. My sister is in her 20s and had the same thing happen. Mom hit full blown menopause at 37. I have time, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me. She was done with all that by the time she was of normal age. I always though I'll go on hormones when that time comes, but the side effects............yikes. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it I suppose. Mom pretty much just suffered. She says she also ended up really bad acne at one point, but I don't remember that at all. Proactive ended up working for her.

Have had irritation from tweezing at times. Mainly because my tweezer are so dull and I was determined to get that yucky little nub of hair. Did I mention I shave my arms?

Shaving the face...
    Dlm said, "Some people have great success shaving and never feel there's a downside to it but others feel it creates shadow just like on a man"
    It does make me nervous to shave this area, plus if the hair is dark you're still going to see that dot (up close and looking for it).

Electrolosis and scarring!? That's horrible.

I probably should buy an extra set for in my purse just in case I ever need it. If i notice it mid day or whatever, I want to take care of it right that min. if possible.

This chin hair business reminds me of a lady that would come into the restaurant I worked at years ago. Nice lady, but she'd sit at the bar and tweeze her chin hairs sometimes! That or you'd see her rubbing her hands over her face checking for them.

Ha, the Joan Rivers quote made me laugh!

This post was edited by sheesharee on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 0:04

• blfenton
    9 years ago

When I get my hair coloured I also get my eyebrows, what's left of them, coloured as well. They are fair to begin with so it really helps give a little definition to my eyes.

As for the rest of it,.... grrrrr.

pesky - I'm assuming your doctor has ruled out skin cancer? That's how mine presented and was diagnosed. My doctor sent me to a dermatologist to be sure and sure enough.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I shave my upper lip and chin, and have to, a couple times a week. Embarassing!

Creams don't work; don't have the skill or patience for waxing.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Hormone replacement therapy....not for everyone, but so far at 58, no side effects and no facial hair :-)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

oh. my.

I don't have the whiskers/dark random hairs yet but I turn 50 in...let's see...9 days so I totally expect to wake up that morning with 1" long hairs sprouting out of my face. I have, however, acquired a lovely peach fuzz on my cheeks/jawline within the past couple of years along with my less-subtle mustache. Used to just bleach the 'stache and that was enough but I felt that the overall fuzz seemed to multiply in density so decided to try something else. I had my upper lip waxed once and the skin broke out so badly, I was afraid to do it again (never had this problem with my eyebrows). So I tried the Oil of Olay hair removal stuff -- it's fairly new, I think. It works GREAT and takes about 10 minutes. No skin irritation and for me, the fuzz stays away for a few weeks. I don't think it works as well on darker/coarser hair, though.

I am off to get my flashlight and magnifying mirror...

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I started menopause at 39 and was finished by 45. By my late 50âÂÂs I wondered where all that hair had gone - not having to pluck my eyebrows, but do have to darken them in, and have noticed a light fuzz on the upper lip that was never there before. This is not fun. IâÂÂll try the Sally Hanson route, I guess.

DonâÂÂt miss not having to shave my underarms each week, and only needing to do the legs once every 3 weeks or so, so a razor lasts forever these days!

Oh well, itâÂÂs nice to have company as we age........

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I started menopause at 39 and was finished by 45. By my late 50âÂÂs I wondered where all that hair had gone - not having to pluck my eyebrows, but do have to darken them in, and have noticed a light fuzz on the upper lip that was never there before. This is not fun. IâÂÂll try the Sally Hanson route, I guess.

DonâÂÂt miss not having to shave my underarms each week, and only needing to do the legs once every 3 weeks or so, so a razor lasts forever these days!

Oh well, itâÂÂs nice to have company as we age........

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Tweezers are my best friend. I keep a pair in my purse, bathroom and night stand.

Sue, the other thing to look forward to on your 50th is a good fitting pair of Depends :-)

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kswl how did you ever pick one? I don't know what I'll do when the time eventually comes. The side effects is the alarming part, but I took birth control for 10 years and never payed attention to the list until the very end and that's not why I stopped taking it. I never had any problems.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I'm 52 and have not gone through menopause yet. Have started. Thankfully have not had hot flashes, sweating, etc. Just very irregular. She (my dr.) is somewhat in favor of hrt - she's a few years older than me and took them herself - until she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Unless I have some very bad symptoms, I will not do hrt. So far, good and I hope to continue that way.

Anyway, my problem with hair has been my eyebrows getting thinner and thinner. I have dark hair/eyebrows, so I can't just let them go. I finally started using some stuff that is like Rograine - but for brows, and I am growing some new hair. I don't know which is worse, but at least I'm not waxing, shaving, etc.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

My gynecologist selected it. She went over my history thoroughly, and this is what we decided to do. I had a hysterectomy in 1998 but my ovaries were left in place for natural hormone aging. However, a few years after the operation I started going through menopause at age 43 or so, and that is when I began HRT. Fifteen years later, no problems.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Depends!! LOL don't get me started. That is on my complaint list for my annual physical tomorrow. I'm a hearty laugher...nuff said?

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

For those with thinning light colored eyebrows consider professional tinting. I go every 4 weeks and have my brows and lashes tinted. It's amazing. Everyone says it makes me look younger. Its a vegetable dye. I have done my brows at home but it never is as good as a salon.

• sis3
    9 years ago

My Bellabe is my friend! Just a few seconds maybe twice a week and I am confidently hair free. I don't find it painful but perhaps those with more, or thicker, hair may.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bellabe. Oh, yeah! I saw one of those springs a few years back and it's been on my amazon list forever. I forgot about it. I'll be purchasing that along with my new tweezers. :)

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Oh!!! Try threading. It's in the malls and in salons. It originated in India. Hair comes right off using cotton thread. Look on you tube. I get eyebrows, lip and chin done for about $25 and it last for a few weeks. It doesn't hurt. There are videos demonstrating how to do it your self, but I can't do it. I still have to be vigilant for some nasty hair popping up, but otherwise it's great

• violetwest
    9 years ago

the Bellabe looks interesting -- may have to try it. i've also used an electric facial trimmer made for women's faces, which worked really well. But . . a razor just seems simpler.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My mother did hrt for 25 years with no side effects...until she got lung cancer. Oncologist said it was not smoking related. (Mom lived with smokers all her life but never smoked.) There is a lung cancer that has estrogen receptors just as breast cancer does. So while I was suspicious of hrt before, I'm now very anti hrt because of the cancer risk which seems to be under-discussed.

Interesting impact on her hair though...it was always bone straight until she hit menopause and it started to curl. Once she went back on hrt, her hair went straight again...

Here's a shot of me, post menopause....

• kswl2
    9 years ago

That's no lady, it's an old fashioned drag queen!

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

I want Sue B to take note: The picture Annie posted above is the very reason why one should always have their Depends on. You never know when you are going to laugh out loud! Annie, you are too funny. This is hysterical!