Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

My trip to South Korea

terezosa / terriks
10 years ago

Anele mentioned in my Xanax thread that she would like to see pics from my South Korea trip. I spent 9 days there visiting my son and his girlfriend who were teaching English there. They met me at the airport in Seoul and we took the very efficient train and subway to our hotel. We spent two nights there, so had one full day to shop and see some of the sights there. For a city of over 10 million people I was surprised that I never felt like I was in a crowd. I think that's because the city is so spread out.
This is a typical street in one of the shopping areas

We then took the train south to where my son was living. So I got to see South Korea from the northern border to the south.
The landscape is very pretty. It is a mountainous country and all the hills and mountains are covered with green trees. There is no development in the hills, but every city was full of apartment buildings like this:

We visited two Buddhist temples, this one was right on the ocean in Busan.

The temples all have beautiful decorative details

This is Tongdosa temple, located in Yangsan, where my son lived. It is one of the oldest and most important temples, and contains relics from the Buddha himself, including a piece of his jaw bone, his begging bowl and his robe.

This a picture of Busan from the roof of the world's largest department store. Busan's population is over 3 million.

There is construction going on everywhere in the country, and everything is well planned out, far as shopping schools and subway being close to each apartment complex.

Finally, I took the train back to Seoul by myself, and spent the night at the Hilton there with this view of Seoul Tower from my room

I ventured out alone on the subway and did a little shopping before I headed home the next day.
It was a wonderful experience. My son and his girlfriend's contracts ended September first, and they now have jobs lined up in China. So next year, I hope to visit them there.

Comments (16)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Wow the photos and your information was very interesting Terriks. Our daughter spent a year in South Korea a couple years ago and you taught me more and shared more photos than she did. She met her hubby there. They were both Air Force. We didn't visit her in SK, but now I'm wishing we would have. I'm sure my hubby would have found it very interesting as he was stationed there in the late seventies. They are hoping for Japan as their next station. I wasn't thrilled about them and our five month old granddaughter being so far away, but I guess traveling to Japan to see them wouldn't be any different than to Hawaii where they are now.
    I think it's so awesome that your son and his girlfriend are doing this. What a wonderful way to see the world besides the military.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Welcome back Terricks! Looks like an amazing trip and it must have been great to share it with your son and his gf.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Thanks for showing us the pictures. It's great to see a place with a local, even if they are only a temporary local.

You look marvelous!

• texanjana
    10 years ago

What a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Great pictures! I've never been to S. Korea, but I have been to Hong Kong and loved it. Dh had been there several times and convinced me to stop there for a few days on our way to Bali for our honeymoon. I didn't think I'd like it and wasn't interested in stopping but so glad we did. That will be cool if you get to visit them again once they head to China - I wish we'd ventured out beyond Hong Kong, but maybe someday. Where in China are they headed?

And is that you in the picture? You look so young!!!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. I've never been to South Korea and enjoyed your pics a lot.
    Lynn

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Their job offers are in Shenzhen, which is right next to Hong Kong, which is a place I've always wanted to visit. I've been reading up, and you get get to Hong Kong on the subway. I think that this will be their last year of living overseas, as they plan to go to graduate school the following year. So I definitely want to take advantage of their being in China and visit. This was the third time that I have traveled alone to visit my son abroad, and I really enjoy the solo travel.
    I had such a pleasant flying experience this time on Asiana airlines. I was in coach, but they have about 4 inches more leg room than most US carriers. The Xanax that I took helped too. ; ) I'll never fly long distances without it again. I was able to sleep quite a bit on the plane, something that I always have trouble with because I can't get comfortable.
    A couple of things that I didn't get to do on this trip was to swim/paddle board in the ocean - both days we went into Busan which is on the sea were rainy. The other was to go on a hike in the mountains. It was just too hot and humid for that to be enjoyable.
    We did tour some model apartments which were so interesting. Compact, but very well put together. Reminded me of Ikea style. The units we saw were between 600 and 800 square feet with 3- 4 bedrooms and 2 baths. Every inch of space was well utilized and they felt comfortable. On my last day in Yangsan one of my son's co-workers volunteered to drive us to a temple, and on the way we stopped at her apartment. She invited us up, so I was great to see how average people live.

That is me in the picture. Thanks for the compliment fourkids. : )

Here's the kitchen in one of the model apartments

Here's is another kitchen picture, showing the most wanted appliance in Korea, the kimchi refrigerator. It's the one on the right, next to the regular refrigerator.

Here's the scale model of the complex. They really look better up close then en masse as in the pictures above.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing Terriks! I love that first picture you posted! IâÂÂm not sure if I remember right but do you paint? That first picture is very inspiring, love the colors. Glad you had a nice trip.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

What a neat trip!

It does look like beautiful country but I have say, those apartment buildings en masse looks very strange.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, thank you so much for the information and photos! I will be sure to share these with my girls.

Your son is living out my dream. I am a traveler at heart. I was all set to go to Taiwan after college to teach English, but my uncle died suddenly. I had a change of heart, then, as I figured I should spend as much time as I could with my mom.
    You look amazing! Glad you had such a wonderful trip.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

wonderful pictures ! DS taught english in S. Korea for 18 months but I never visited ; your pictures brought back memories of some of his pictures he would send us periodically.

• leafy02
    10 years ago

What a great trip to go on! I love to watch Korean dramas (soap operas) and I would be thrilled to visit.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Terrific...thanks for filling us in...most interesting.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Terriks, first of all, I thought your pic was a pic of your son's girlfriend. You look so young!

And thanks for sharing the pictures. My DD was born in Korea -- DH traveled alone to bring her home because we had two young sons at the time -- he took a few pictures of Seoul but not too many, because he was kinda busy figuring out our new 4 month old daughter in a hotel room! And he was only there for a couple of days.

We are going to take a family trip there, hopefully within the next few years.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Wow, Busan is huge. I love the temples, so fascinating.

How nice for them to see the world this way; and you too.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Busan is huge, but Seoul has more than 3 times the population! I just thought it was very strange how I never felt like I was in a huge crowd anywhere. I think it might have to do with their urban planning. It seems that when they build a new apartment development they plot out areas for schools, shopping and restaurants that are nearby, and often walkable.