Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Kindle Fire HD or iPad?

mary_lu_gw
10 years ago

I'm back again. Everyone was so helpful when I asked about e-readers for my DH. I ended up buying him the Kindle Paperwhite and he loves it. Now he insists that he wants to buy a tablet for me. I am leaning toward the Kindle Fire HD right now. We do not have any Apple products so thought as we already have one Kindle, I might like the Kindle tablet as well.

What do you have and how did you decide which tablet to buy?

Comments (13)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

I have both. I am a big Apple fan but each device has its benefits

ipad is nicer to look at but harder for me to hold since it is bigger (speaking of the full ipad, not the mini). When I'm outside in the hammock or whatnot, I prefer the Kindle Fire to the iPad.

ipad is more full featured, faster and easier to use to do more things. However, I like browsing the web on the kindle fire hd just as much as the ipad, if not more so.

Movie watching on the kindle fire is annoying because the screen is small. I like it better on the iPad.

Watching TV shows on the ipad is much easier (abc, cbs, etc.). I don't think the kindle fire hd even allows you to download the apps for most channels on it... At least they didn't, I read somewhere that CBS does now. We don't have cable and watch shows this way, so this is a big feature for us.

I like the kindle's auto-type features where it suggests words to finish so you don't have to type the whole word. I find this to be faster than typing emails on the iPad.

There seem to be more games available for the iPad (we tried to download Candy Crush on the Kindle Fire but were unable to find it... perhaps it is there somewhere?)

I would make the choice depending upon what you are going to use it for. If you are just going to browse the Internet, go for the Kindle Fire. But I do not think the Kindle Fire is a full featured tablet replacement that offers all the functionality of the iPad. It's also a lot cheaper then most iPads (although not the mini)

I would not read on either though. And neither works very well in sunlight.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

We have both for two different reasons. I have my iPad. My boys have kindle fire hd.

My dyslexic son is a reluctant reader and the kindle fire has a wonderful feature called immersion reading.

He can listen to the audiobook while the actual book is being highlighted while he is reading! It is an amazing tool for a dyslexic child. It is the first time he has ever enjoyed reading.

I love my iPad. It is superior to the kindle fire hd IMHO.

For reading, I have a kindle paper white.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

beagles and red, both of you mentioned not reading on it. That is one thing I wanted to do. DH loves his paperwhite but has no interest in browsing the web. I enjoy both and was hoping the kindle fire would give me that. The one I was considering was the KF 8.9 with the larger screen. From what I have read it is supposed to have an anti glare screen good for reading? I also was wondering if the added size would be a bad thing for holding for reading. Any input on that?

Could you tell me why you would not read on it?

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I love reading on my Paperwhite, and have a Nexus 10 for web surfing, watching movies, etc. Because of its weight and size I wouldn't want to read on it for very long. Even the smaller Kindle Fire is heavier than the Paperwhite. When I was looking for a tablet I considered the Fire, but didn't want a limited Android tablet. The Nexus cost more, but it has incredible definition on the screen, and is a full Android device.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Mary, I have the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and LOVE IT!! It definitely lets you consume as much interwebs as you like, along with being in my opinion just fine for reading. Granted, I generally read lying down in bed but sitting up and holding it isn't a problem either. The larger Kindle isn't uncomfortably heavy at all for me.

Something I didn't expect to like as much as I do is the video feature. If you are an Amazon Prime member and especially if you are a Netflix subscriber, there is an incredibly vast array of movies and tv shows from which to choose. And Prime gives lots of free streaming options too. The picture clarity is amazing, sound is crisp and clear. Really, really easy to use and so handy to have it on the Kindle whenever you want.

As for reading I think the 8.9" particularly excels at magazines. It's really almost identical to reading a paper copy. I find books show nicely too. I have a good friend with the smaller Kindle HD and after sampling his, I went with the larger model. And then once he saw mine...he got one too :).

So from a very satisfied consumer, I would say you won't go wrong with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9.

Ann

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

I find the kindle fire much too heavy to read on and I have the smaller one. I also do not like the way pages turn. You cannot read one handed as you can w/ the regular kindle (at least I can't) and you have to touch the screen which I find distracting, not as reliable and I need to worry that my hands aren't wet or don't have popcorn butter on them, which is not an issue with my regular kindle.

I also REALLY don't like the bright colored screen when reading on it. It is like reading on a computer and I prefer to feel more like I am reading a real book, not a computer screen (I look at computer screens all day for work).

With my regular kindle, I can use it outside or to read in the tub and this would not be possible at all with a kindle fire. I can forget that I am on a device and feel like I am just reading a book. I don't get that w/ the Kindle Fire.

A basic kindle (not touch- I hate the touch and got rid of my Kindle touch) can be had pre-owned for like $35-$40 from cowboom. I would definitely just pick one of those up to read on and not try to read on either the fire or ipad, whichever you decide to get. I've bought two kindles from here already because I want to have one in each of our houses and they've both been in good condition.

I've also dropped my regular kindle MULTIPLE times (onto concrete, and falling off a hammock onto a flagstone patio when my dog jumped onto the hammock) and the kindle is none-the-worse for the wear. I do not think the same would have been true w/ an ipad or fire

This post was edited by beaglesdoitbetter on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 22:42

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I've also dropped my regular kindle MULTIPLE times
    Beagles, you need to wipe all that popcorn butter off your fingers. :-)

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I thought that I might not like the touch feature on the Kindle Paperwhite, as I was used to the buttons on my first Kindle, but I have got used to it, and I don't find it a bother at all.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I read all my books on my Ipad, there are tons of free ones too.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

LOL hhireno. Perhaps so.
    I read a lot and my kindle has replaced all paper reading so it comes everywhere with me. I even take it on a raft in the swimming pool, so it has a very active life. Amazingly, it's managed several years w/o breaking even w/ being dropped and regularly in close proximity to water.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the input everyone! We were gone for the weekend, so didn't have an opportunity to check in. Oh for the day I can be mobile! Still researching so haven't purchased yet.

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

I love my iPad for professional use (I teach two online courses) and for personal use. It is my sidekick! When it comes to reading for pleasure I prefer a book. So much of my professional life is tied to technology that I like to unplug whenever possible.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

If you haven't bought anything yet, Amazon has just released new Kindle models today.