Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

GMO's, health, and weight gain

luckygal
10 years ago

Of course there has long been controversy about the safety of GM's and they are also now thought to be implicated in weight gain. Is anyone else concerned about this?

"The most common GMO foods"

I haven't eaten corn for years except for 2 organic corn products I can easily find. I never eat soy products or use canola oil but know there are GMO's I cannot easily avoid especially when eating out. I wonder what the long term health dangers are even for the small amount of GM food I consume.

"Are GMOs Making You Fat?"

I suspect I finally was able to lose weight more easily because I changed over to organic foods.

Comments (9)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I don't know that it's necessarily the GMO foods, but all the other additives in most processed food that is to blame. High Fructose Corn Syrup, lots of 'ose' (lactose, fructose, etc), and other added things like wheat gluten are unnecessary but are added for texture and palatability. Our palates are so conditioned to the sweetness, that everthing has so much sugar in it.

I have quit eating a lot of processed stuff, and I think that is why my weight is falling off. Eating organic cuts out a lot of that added junk. You really have to read labels to find food that is worth putting into your body.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I stay AWAY from any GMO foods, if I know. The problem is, we don't know. I support labeling. I grow most of my garden from Heirloom seeds or shop certified organic. No processed foods except for rare occasions.

That said, I'm not a zealot but I'd rather have real cane sugar than any sweetener that ends with an 'ose'. Potatoes are my downfall. I was raised with milk gravy every single night as a child. I can beat any resturants gravy recipe but have resisted for 15 years. I keep thinking it is time to make some. Lol.

I feel blessed I can grow a decent garden and afford to pay a little more for my food.

• polly929
    10 years ago

I don't trust GMO foods. I made the switch in January to all organic and I no longer shop at mainstream grocery stores, mostly just Trader Joes.
    It hasn't helped me lose any weight but I do feel better and have more energy.

• awm03
    10 years ago

The one thing that bothers me about the GMO fuss: we've been eating hybrid foods all our lives, either through hybrid fruits & veggies or animals bred for specific qualities or through plain old evolution & selectivity. What food hasn't been genetically modified over the years, when you think about it?

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

There is a difference between hybridization and that which has been gene spliced with pesticides. Kind of like our meat supply-too many antibiotics and growth hormones given to the animals, plants are getting unnatural chemicals to make them more resistant to herbicides and pests.

• luckygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awm03, that is what the GMO industry wants you to think but nothing could be further from the truth. In nature animal genes are never inserted into plants. GMO's have to do with the artificial genetic engineering of plant DNA and while legitimate scientists with no ties to the industry have shown GMOs cause negative changes in our bodies there is a very large lobby of those who benefit financially from this industry. No one knows what the ultimate health consequences will be due to these artificial changes in plants we eat.

If you google "the difference between gmos and natural selection" there are many sites that explain better than I can. Genetic engineering of plants financially benefits big corporations more than it will ever benefit our health, farmers, impoverished nations, or the earth from what I have read.

Here's a quote "from this site:" âÂÂThe next great food famine (and mass starvation) will undoubtedly be caused by GMOs. And yet the industry claims that GMOs will save the planet from starvation! Only in a crooked, corrupt world could an industry claim to be saving the world while actually enslaving the world.âÂÂ

• peegee
    10 years ago

I'm another who mostly avoids conventional grocery stores to buy all organic foods, including grass fed beef when I eat it at all, and organic eggs and chicken. Usually shop Whole Foods. I remember a few years or more back when I first bought organically raised chicken how it tasted like chicken I used to buy many years ago. I had forgotten that taste! Also, like long ago, the organic chicken does not last long. The regular chicken I had been eating before switching always lasted a long time before going bad. What does that say?! Have others noticed this?
    I'm so glad I've switched to organic, as I used to eat a lot of corn, and only recently learned about Roundup in conventionally grown/gmo corn. YIKES!
    One other thing, I ate out more than usual this summer but often did not enjoy quite as much as I kept thinking of the food - especially salads, as kind of "toxic"....
    I did have a large weight gain this year when mainly eating conventional food during a long convalescence, but believe it was connected to no activity + increased appetite and unhealthier choices. When I lose weight eating organic I connect it to my Mindfulness about eating healthier and my focus on making more wholesome choices. Also, organic food is VERY much costlier, and it is harder for me to justify $$$ by eating more.

• RoseAbbey
    10 years ago

We also have a big garden and try to buy as much organic as possible. It really scares me when I think what the world is going to be like for my great grandchildren.