Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lookingonthebrightside

Wonderful Trip to South Dakota

texanjana
9 years ago

I made a vow to myself last year to see the parts of the United States I have not seen, but have always wanted to visit. So, DH and I went to South Dakota and eastern Wyoming last month. We had a wonderful trip and saw some amazing sites including Badlands NP, Wall, Custer SP, Wind Cave NP, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, SD Railroad Museum and Train, Mammoth Site, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon, Spearfish Natl Fish Hatchery, Vore Buffalo Jump, Devils' Tower, Ft. Laramie and Cheyenne. We flew in and out of Denver, so cut out quite a bit of driving. It was a great trip which I wish we would have done when our kids were still at home because they would have loved it!

Comments (9)

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

We took a similar trip when our kids were in second and kindergarten. I've also been there in the seventies. My sister lives in Wyoming so I've actually been through every corner and central Wyoming and love it. SD is great thought too.
    I hope you'll be sharing more photos.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

We visited Custer SP a few years back, and several of the places you mention. I thought it was one of the most beautiful parks I have visited. So serene, and lots of wildlife. Loved the Crazy Horse memorial and museum. And the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, Wy is one of our favorites. So glad you had a great trip.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Sounds great...we've been to WY, but not to SD...sounds like more to see and do there than I thought. Thanks for posting.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

How fun Jana!!

We took a motor home trip out there 2 summers ago with our twin sons and had the time of our lives! The Badlands are amazing. One of my boys loved Mt. Rushmore and one...not so impressed.

We have two older dds that we didn't do many of the trips we should have. Making up for lost time with these two.

Hope you made it to the "Corn Palace" ;-)

• Danahills
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 10:30

• annac54
    9 years ago

Glad you had a great trip! We drove from Iowa back to California one year making a big detour through South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and Utah. We saw many of the places you mentioned, plus going through Yellowstone, the Tetons, and Zion NP going south toward home. It remains one of the best trips we've ever had. And yes, we saw the "Corn Palace" :)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Sounds great ! thanks for enticing us !!

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

SDak - best kept secret. Grew up there and I've lived in and been to many, many places in this old world and SDak is one of the best.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

We were there in July and stayed at a campground near Mount Rushmore. We didn't even run the AC in our motor home. Loved the warm (not hot) days and cool evenings. We had campfires in the evenings it was so nice.

Gotta love that weather. Jealous of you gals that are residents. Many special memories of that trip.