Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Techies? Google calendar question

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

We just got our "Virtually There" itinerary for our South America trip and I noticed it had an option to automatically add all of our flights into my calendar.

I use Google calendar, which it says it supports.

But I cannot figure out how to get the flights from the itinerary onto my Google calendar.

Has anyone done this? I tried googling but all I get is VT saying you can do this!

Comments (5)

• Jules
    9 years ago

Usually there's a little Google calendar button shown that can be clicked, and then the calendar items auto populate. Is that not working?

• User
    9 years ago

Mtnrdredux, like most other google products I find the calendar completely counterintuitive. I could never work out the trip /flight info either and switched all trip planning to tripit. Confirmation emails for flights and hotels are forwarded to tripit, which puts them in the right day with all the attendant information including conf numbers, phone numbers, hotel addresses and directions, etc. (and in some cases the baggage carousel when you get off.)

I can't stand gmail or the calendar, although I used to keep the calendar as a family calendar years ago. I don't like google maps and we even returned our google glasses (not ready for prime time, IMO) because that interface was not intuitive for either DH or me. (We are both left handed and occasionally I wonder if that could be a factor, seriously.)

Anyway, tripit is shareable and better suited to travel info IMO so you might want to try it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Juju,
    My virtually there itinerary just says "add to calendar". When I click on it I get a list of flights. (see below). When I click on "download", it automatically loads it to a calendar app I never use ("ical"). I cannot see anyway to send it from ical to Google calendars.

KSWL,
    I hate to learn another app, and all of my kids stuff is already on google calendar and the whole family knows how to use it. OTOH, I love the idea of the itinerary just dropping into my calendar...

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 12:46

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, I figured it out!

I had actually given up and was going to type it all in then I noticed something when i was on Google calendar.

Here is how you take a Virtually There itinerary and automatically input everything, including ticket numbers, flight duration, record locators, terminals, seats, etc into your google calendar.

1. On the Virtually There itinerary, in the right margin, click "add to calendar".

2. Select each flight and click "download" on the far right

3. Go to your Google calendar, on the far left, in the margin, it says "other calendars" and has a drop down menu.

4. Select "import calendar"

5. The choose the file(s) you downloaded and choose what calendar you want them on. You have to do each flight separately it seems.

6. You can edit the resulting entry like you would any other.

Thought i'd post on the off chance someone else could use this!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WARNING

Had to post back just in case anyone else tries to use this.
    When you import the VT files in, your google calendar will convert all the flight times to your local time. NOT GOOD

For example say you are flying from your home in NY to LAX and then on to somewhere else. Say your flight from LAX leaves at 3pm LA time. Google will import the record and change your flight time to noon; the local time where you live!!!

There may be a way to change settings but just a warning...