Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Anyone have experience with PVCS and general anesthesia?

jan_in_wisconsin
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a knee scope coming up this Thursday, and I'm concerned about the anesthesia. Although I've had successful surgeries in the past, it's been a long time (in my 40 now), and since then, I have developed preventricular contractions. My pulse and blood pressure are quite low, as I am an avid distance runner. I am also sensitive to medications. I had a life threatening reaction once. So I worry that some new med given interoperatively could harm me.

Just some jitters before surgery. I will be talking to the anesthesiologist this week. Local is not an option, but spinal or general are.

Does anyone have experience with the PVCS and general anesthesia?

Comments (3)

• Faron79
    9 years ago

It's never been an issue with me!

I'm kinda prone to "Lone-A-fib". PVC's are just part of the deal for me. I've learned over the recent years with my Dr.'s that they're totally benign, and CANNOT hurt me. I don't like them, but they're just a "normal nuisance" for me! After a couple seconds, they're gone. No problem.

I've been under "general" 3 times recently...My large Inguinal-Hernia surgery in 9-2010; & 2 leg-vein surgeries in Nov. 2012. Aaaaannnd....my new left-knee coming-up on 9/26!

NO issues for me at all!

Just ask a lot of questions at your consult!

Best of luck!!!!

Faron

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

The best advice I can give is this...when you talk to the anesthesiologist, be totally honest about your fears of anesthesia.

Be specific. If your specific fear is irregular heartbeats and how they will deal with this issue then make this clear so that he/she can put your mind at ease.

Whatever the "life threatening reaction" was, he needs to know about it. Was it a b/p issue under anesthesia?

Write your fear/questions down so that he/she can see that you want to discuss these issues and not just have him give you false reassurances and skip out of the room leaving you with unanswered questions.

Just to set your mind at ease..if you are an avid runner then it sounds like you are probably pretty healthy. You probably already know that PVCs are not uncommon even in healthy people.

I'm not crazy about anesthesia either. The narcotics always make me sick.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I used to get very nauseous after anesthesia. Very. Now there is medication they can give prior to surgery for that. And my family physician discovered I have pvc's when I was about your age. I am also a runner. My doc had me cut back on caffeine, so we did, switching to half-caff almost every day. I always mention this and anything else, including meds of course before any procedure. I also have low bp, am slow to wake up after anesthesia, so I always tell them but the nurses always act surprised during post-op.

Whatever your 'life threatening reaction' was, did it conclusively have to do with your bp or the general anesthesia?

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz